Thread: home depot DIY

Forum Regular

home depot DIY

after reading the review circulating online on the HD-14, i noticed they were referring to HD outdoor extension wires. I looked at these, and they do look like they offer good shielding (300v). however, they are 3 pronged and i have no idea what to do with the 3rd set of wires, so i will skip on this option (for those of you who have read this article you know what im talking about). The transparent 12 ga designated "speaker" cable by Carol offers no shielding (any wires with the clear coting for that matter). this might have a negative impact on my hifi system...so i started looking around and found spools of telecommunications wires that run 12awg and have a nylon covering that gives them 600v protection as well as being gasoline and oil proof (you know, in case this were to get on the speaker cables i would be protected). anyways, upon examing these cables i noticed the copper strands were not as numerous as those found on the "spearer" cables and the outdoor extension cables. actually, there were maybe 12 strands. very thick ones at that (thus making the 12awg density). usually speaker cables have buzillion cooper strands interlaced. does anyone know about this? can these be used? does the "shielding" aspect matter that much?

JSE
    Hey Nusiclover,

I bought the 12ga. Carol brand about a year ago and made some custom cables for my mains and center. I will try and post some photos later this weekend. I have been very happy with the Carol wire and would recc. it to anyone. I also looked at some other brands but the Carol 12ga just tobe a little heavier in terms of the coating. Not sure that makes any difference. I live in Houston where it's a TAD humid and I have seen no signs whatsoever of any oxidation or discoloration on the wire. Again, not that makes a difference.

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by nusiclover
    after reading the review circulating online on the HD-14, i noticed they were referring to HD outdoor extension wires. I looked at these, and they do look like they offer good shielding (300v). however, they are 3 pronged and i have no idea what to do with the 3rd set of wires, so i will skip on this option (for those of you who have read this article you know what im talking about). The transparent 12 ga designated "speaker" cable by Carol offers no shielding (any wires with the clear coting for that matter). this might have a negative impact on my hifi system...so i started looking around and found spools of telecommunications wires that run 12awg and have a nylon covering that gives them 600v protection as well as being gasoline and oil proof (you know, in case this were to get on the speaker cables i would be protected). anyways, upon examing these cables i noticed the copper strands were not as numerous as those found on the "spearer" cables and the outdoor extension cables. actually, there were maybe 12 strands. very thick ones at that (thus making the 12awg density). usually speaker cables have buzillion cooper strands interlaced. does anyone know about this? can these be used? does the "shielding" aspect matter that much?

Nylon covering is not shielding. Shielding would be a wire braid or foil sleeve, which isn't necessary on speaker wires, except under unusual circumstances. Perhaps the word you're looking for is jacket.

The lower strand count just means the wire will not be as flexible.

-Bruce

Forum Regular
    hey, thanks two you both, that really helps. i think im gonna try it, after all, what can $10 hurt?
    im gonna use the rca banana plugs that they sell at home depot. i figure if im gonna do this the cheaper way, then why not go all the way. but, after comparing these to monster bananas at best buy, i think the rca looks pretty solid.

AR Newbie Registered Member

This is...

hard earn cash, your money will be better spent on that young GAL of you're.

Thread Information