Forum Regular

speaker cable recommendations

I am finally looking at replacing my cheap Monster speaker cables...if in fact cables make a difference. I would spend around $500 but could go higher.

The equipment I have is: bi-amped ESS Amt speakers, Bryston and Audio Research amps, Cal Audio Labs CD, and Levinson pre.

Because of the makeup of my living room and location of my speakers, I need fairly long cables...about 16-18ft each.

Your recommendations and thoughts are appreciated.

Audiofan007

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by audiofan007
    I am finally looking at replacing my cheap Monster speaker cables...if in fact cables make a difference. I would spend around $500 but could go higher.

The equipment I have is: bi-amped ESS Amt speakers, Bryston and Audio Research amps, Cal Audio Labs CD, and Levinson pre.

Because of the makeup of my living room and location of my speakers, I need fairly long cables...about 16-18ft each.

Your recommendations and thoughts are appreciated.

Audiofan007
    It's really hard to recommend cables. It's hard to recommend anything at all, but cables in particular. My only recommendation is that you borrow a few different brands from an audio dealer and listen to what sounds best with your system. Cables can make a difference and I'd guess that your Monster can be bettered. It's just a matter of if the improvement (a subtle one, most likely) is worth the extra cost. But you have very nice gear and I'm certain that if you listen to some of the offerings of Audioquest, Kimber, Nordost, and others, you'll find something that will upgrade the performance of your system. And please do listen! You're liable to get some advice on this board that says otherwise but I certainly cannot recommend that you buy without first hearing it in your own system not can I advise that perfectly neutral cables are the cheap ones that come with certain cheap receivers and CD players. That goes against my own experience. So do listen to the results. You may or may not hear a difference. Regardless, go with what your ears tell you.

Forum Regular

I guess....

I am somewhat brainwashed by cable manufacturers marketing departments. I have always thought that my speaker cables were the "weakest link" of my system. I have seem some good deals in AA (AudioQuest Bedrock for one) and my local audio guy that I will demo. Thanks for your input.

Audiofan007

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    It's really hard to recommend cables. It's hard to recommend anything at all, but cables in particular. My only recommendation is that you borrow a few different brands from an audio dealer and listen to what sounds best with your system. Cables can make a difference and I'd guess that your Monster can be bettered. It's just a matter of if the improvement (a subtle one, most likely) is worth the extra cost. But you have very nice gear and I'm certain that if you listen to some of the offerings of Audioquest, Kimber, Nordost, and others, you'll find something that will upgrade the performance of your system. And please do listen! You're liable to get some advice on this board that says otherwise but I certainly cannot recommend that you buy without first hearing it in your own system not can I advise that perfectly neutral cables are the cheap ones that come with certain cheap receivers and CD players. That goes against my own experience. So do listen to the results. You may or may not hear a difference. Regardless, go with what your ears tell you.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

have I got a cable for you!

I am somewhat brainwashed by cable manufacturers marketing departments. I have always thought that my speaker cables were the "weakest link" of my system. I have seem some good deals in AA (AudioQuest Bedrock for one) and my local audio guy that I will demo. Thanks for your input.

Audiofan007
    Just picked these puppies up last week. They are a 4 meter set of 4 gauge pure OFC copper cables with plated crimped connectors. Originally designed for a 60KV rated 440v-200v stepdown transformer, but were not needed. With four leads, the diameter of the cable is over 1"!

this looks like a great deal

Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Forum Regular

Well, based on the components you own

I have always thought that my speaker cables were the "weakest link" of my system.
    The speaker cables might indeed be the weak link! You have nice gear.

cables and money

I am an engineer, like the article in the "How To" section I was convinced cable performance was all about wire guage, inductance and capacitance until I listened. Hoo boy was all that technical mumbo jumbo just so much crapola. In a first class system (I think yours is close) all cables will sound at least a little different.

I recommend you first determine if copper, silver plated copper or pure silver is to your personal taste. Several web sites sell various brands with a no questions asked return policy (careful some expect you to buy another product from them instead of a cash refund). Some reputable ones I have used are usedcable.com, Audio Advisor, Homegrown Audio there are many more

After you have some idea of your basic preference, now you need to look at what each vendor offers in that kind of design and at what cost. You need to determine if your system does or does not benefit from bi-wiring. (In my system I use heavier copper for bass and pure silver for mid/tweet) this works best for me, at least at a price point I can afford. Borrowing from other audiophiles is fast and can be fun.

Oh by the way, in good systems I have heard, there is a strong correlation between cable price and sound quality - yea it sucks, good cables cost unbelievable $$$$. Consider used for your final purchase - do not abuse vendors in testing their cables if you have no intention to buy from them. Honest dislike and return of a product is not abuse.

This whole subject is personal, there are strong opinions but not much fact. Trust your ears! Be careful you understand the difference between over hyped highs and real detail recovery this flaw reveals itself when youy listen longer and to many sources.

Forum Regular

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Just picked these puppies up last week. They are a 4 meter set of 4 gauge pure OFC copper cables with plated crimped connectors. Originally designed for a 60KV rated 440v-200v stepdown transformer, but were not needed. With four leads, the diameter of the cable is over 1"!
    Thanks Geoffcin,
    where did you get those and how much were they?
    audiofan007

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Got them on discount.

Thanks Geoffcin,
    where did you get those and how much were they?
    audiofan007
    They were going to be sent back to Japan because they are not needed for our application. Actually the unused $3500 stepdown transformer is also slated for return. If it had 110v taps I might be tempted to add it to my audio system.

Ps. I've got one more set of wires that will be put up on Audiogon.com if I don't get any takers.....

Thread Information