Forum Regular

Question HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4 for 3D?

Man this is confusing. Other sites say I should go with 1.4 for my 3D set up. What would you do?

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/sorry...for-3d-tv.html

Suspended
    Goto www.showmecables.com they have HDMI 1.4 cables very reasonable. I bought some for myself and brother-in-law. I bought 3-2M, 2-5M and 1-.5M for $41 including the $9.56 shipping.

The some of the advantages of HDMI 1.4 are:

HDMI Ethernet Channel – Adds high-speed networking to an HDMI link, allowing users to take full advantage of their IP-enabled devices without a separate Ethernet cable.

4K Support – Enables video resolutions far beyond 1080p, supporting next-generation displays that will rival the Digital Cinema systems used in many commercial movie theatres. Up to 2000 x 4000

3D – Defines input/output protocols for major 3D video formats, paving the way for true 3D gaming and 3D home theater applications.

24bit Deep Color

Audio Return Channel – Allows an HDMI-connected TV with a built-in tuner to send audio data "upstream" to a surround audio system, eliminating the need for a separate audio cable

You may not be able to take advantage of all features now, but will be ready when available.

Show Me Cables have several different versions and qualities. All better than HDMI 1.4 specs.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    Man this is confusing. Other sites say I should go with 1.4 for my 3D set up. What would you do?

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/sorry...for-3d-tv.html
    Bfalls is right, you must have HDMI 1.4 to pass 3D. The only HDMI 1.3 device that can pass 3D is the PS3, but you have to give up the advanced audio codecs to get it. If you want 3D and the advanced audio codecs you must upgrade to HDMI 1.4
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    I recently ordered several 1.4 compliant cables from Amazon. In the meantime I'm using some three year old Monoprice HDMI cables which can't be 1.4 but yet they deliver an excellent 3D picture. Go figure?

I read that companies are forbidden from advertising their cables as 1.4 so it's not so easy to even determine which cable is 1.4 compliant.

Suspended
    Check the link I provided. There are several version of the 1.4 cables. Some meant for longer runs than others. They also have a flat version and a right-angle version. All versions exceed the HDMI 1.4 spec. I'm not a ShowMeCables fanboy, but when I brother-in-law asked if he should pay $60 for a 6.6ft HDMI 3D cable, I started looking around for reasonably priced versions. So far I've had no issues with their economy version.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    TCA ATT GGA

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff View Post
    The ShowMeCables HDMI 1.4s are cheaper, but they don't have the cool red on the plug. Whatever "trips your trigger", "floats your boat" "gets you through the night"...

Quote Originally Posted by bblr11risearoRirway View Post
    Pozycjonowanie strony internetowej to zabieg majacy na celu wypromowanie witryny na jak najwyzsze miejsce w wynikach wyszukiwania pozycjonowan-ie pl/]pozycjonowanie stron Oferujemy Panstwu skuteczne pozycjonowanie stron internetowych w wyszukiwarce Google
    Interpreter to the front, we have a person speaking in tongues here!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls View Post
    The ShowMeCables HDMI 1.4s are cheaper, but they don't have the cool red on the plug. Whatever "trips your trigger", "floats your boat" "gets you through the night"...
    I've been happy with the Dayton brand from Parts Express and with other things I've bought there. All their cables and many of their products are more substantially built and satisfying than their counterparts in their price range. I don't mind floating them an extra buck or two for a product that I know I'll be happy with. Plus, I guess I just have an irrational aversion to sights that have 'fly-by-night' kind of names.

If you're an Amazon Prime customer then shipping is free for many Parts Express Items--depends on the item. Oddly, even for those not free shipping, Amazon's shipping rates are lower than PE's even though it ships from PE.

Anyway, you're right. You can save a buck or two from showmecables. If you get the low end one that they offer, "eCore Basic" you can save $1.75 on an ~2M cable over the Dayton. However, judging from pictures and descriptions, the Dayton line is more equivalent to the "Enhanced Core blah blah" cable. Here Dayton is ~$4.25 less. I doubt any transfer bits better than the other. To me, at this price its just a matter of substantial-ness. I'll pay $2 more for that. But I won't pay over $2 for coffee at Starbucks.

Apologies for stepping on your thread and listing another reasonable alternative source for quality cables with out the "quality pricing".
    TCA ATT GGA

Suspended
    I have no issues with Parts Express or Dayton. They are both good companies. I've purchased many items from them. I'm an equal opportunity purchaser. I respect your reasoning. I believe the key here is they both exceed the HDMI 1.4 specs. I may have considered the enhanced, or the Daytons if I had longer runs. The build quality of the cables I purchased from ShowMeCables was just as good as any I'd seen, so I didn't mind saving a few bucks over the Daytons and a Sh*#t load over a comparable Monster version. We all appreciate a good deal and like to share our experiences with others.

Forum Regular
    HDMI 1.3 cables are capable of supporting the Audio Return Channel and 3D. They can't support Ethernet.

Forum Regular
    "They can't support Ethernet"

Blue,

I'm still a newby to all this but since my HT components are all hard wired from my router via cat5 cabling would I need the HDMI cables to support ethernet?

Forum Regular
    "They can't support Ethernet"

Blue,

I'm still a newby to all this but since my HT components are all hard wired from my router via cat5 cabling would I need the HDMI cables to support ethernet?
    You won't.

As of today I'm not aware of any component that supports Ethernet via HDMI. A few days ago I bought a new Plasma TV and Blu Ray player, and even though they're rated 1.4 for HDMI, none of them has Ethernet over it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrain View Post
    HDMI 1.3 cables are capable of supporting the Audio Return Channel and 3D. They can't support Ethernet.
    HDMI 1.3 does NOT support the audio return channel, but it does have the capacity to support 3D.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Sir T,

That's probably why I get 3D with the older Monoprice cables but I'm not sure what "the auto return channel means". Could you explain that?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    HDMI 1.3 does NOT support the audio return channel, but it does have the capacity to support 3D.
    HDMI 1.3 High Speed cables should support ARC. If they don't, then probably they're very early versions.

Sir T,

That's probably why I get 3D with the older Monoprice cables but I'm not sure what "the auto return channel means". Could you explain that?
    The audio return channel allows you to take audio that goes directly to your set(like OTA broadcast or a cable box) and send that audio via HDMI to your receiver without adding any additional cables. Along this channel you can send audio in both directions - from the receiver to the television, and from the television back to the receiver.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrain View Post
    HDMI 1.3 High Speed cables should support ARC. If they don't, then probably they're very early versions.
    While an HDMI 1.3 rated cable can support ARC, the bi-directional feature is strictly a 1.4 implementation. 1.3 spec cables do support the feature, but not without adjoining 1.4 enabled devices. No HDMI 1.3 enabled devices support ARC.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    While an HDMI 1.3 rated cable can support ARC, the bi-directional feature is strictly a 1.4 implementation. 1.3 spec cables do support the feature, but not without adjoining 1.4 enabled devices. No HDMI 1.3 enabled devices support ARC.
    I never referenced 1.3 components. Only the cables

Forum Regular
    While the older Monoprice HDMI's work fine in passing 3D to the set from the BRP they definitely create a handshake issue with my new Marantz SR6006 which is a 1.4 HDMI receiver.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile HDMI For 3D

By default you need High Speed ​​HDMI cable that is version 1.4 for 3D content.

Forum Regular

I wish there was a standard for HDMI

I have a friend who works in the industry and he says the number one problem he deals with on a daily basis with new equipment is the HDMI handshake.

I now have the latest 1.4a cables throughout yet my Marantz is having some audio drop outs through it's HDMI connections to the Directv Sat box. The box works fine directly connected to the TV. Unless I first turn on the TV, followed by the SAT box and finally the Marantz I can't get an audio handshake period. Playing internet audio via a cat5 never misses a beat as the HDMI is not in the equation.

I've been told that installers of new equipment often use an optical cable along with the HDMI as a back up for audio. This should not have to happen.

Thread Information