AR Newbie Registered Member

Gold-plated banana connectors - are they worth it?

I'm installing a whole-house audio system, so I have a lot of speakers that I need to connect up. The speakers (JBl SP6CSII, about $100/pair) are good, but not pro-grade or anything. I'm not really an audiophile either.

I'm connecting all the speakers using 16-gauge wire, as recommended by JBL. Now, I'm wondering whether I need to get Gold-plated Banana plugs, or if regular Banana plugs will suffice.I figure it will cost me $200 in Gold-plated connectors, and I'm not sure if it's worth it. The regular banana plugs cost almost nothing.

I connected a few of them up using the cheap connectors as a test, and I thought the it sounded a bit muffled, but I'm not sure if it's just a psychological thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check out www.bluejeancables.com and buy their banana plugs and your should consider their speaker wire as well. The connectors are easy to use and are about $3.50 each.
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

AR Newbie Registered Member

If you plan on upgrading your speakers in the future, I can see having the gold-plated banana plugs being useful. The main advantage to the gold-plating is that it never corrodes so you always have a good, clean contact. For $50/ea speakers I cannot imagine you'll hear any discernible improvement with gold-plated ones in the short term or long term.

Quote Originally Posted by mclloyd
    The main advantage to the gold-plating is that it never corrodes so you always have a good, clean contact. For $50/ea speakers I cannot imagine you'll hear any discernible improvement with gold-plated ones in the short term or long term.
    Actually, gold plated connectors do oxidize over time. That's why many cables are made of Rhodium.

In any event, I consider Caig Pro Gold contact cleaner invaluable. I've been using contact cleaners on all my connectors (gold included) for the past thirty years. Stuff oxidizes, clean it up!

rw

Gold plated! Harumph! Should be solid gold....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Forum Regular
    So, what did you decide to do?

I purchased two different large sets of gold-plated banana plugs around a month ago on ebay...one was a 24-pack Nakamichi set with a nice-looking metal barrel/housing..only $18 shipped. The other was a 20-pack of the generic type with the plastic housing...only $14 shipped. The Nakamichi's obviously look a little nicer but both are well-built and get the job done.

nightflier
    Rhodium costs less than gold, right? And it does not oxidize?

Why use bananas at all? It's just one more connection that can go wrong over time. I think it's BJC that actually recommends connecting bare wire unless you are changing out the connection often. Eliminate the bananas and spend your money on something that improves your sound.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by IBSTORMIN
    Why use bananas at all? It's just one more connection that can go wrong over time. I think it's BJC that actually recommends connecting bare wire unless you are changing out the connection often. Eliminate the bananas and spend your money on something that improves your sound.
    Amen!

The muffled sound is only in your head. It is because you made a change and are now listening more carefully so you notice things you did not before. Banana plugs make no difference in the sound, gold or otherwise. Bare wire is fine, especially if you are going to set everything up and then not touch it again. Put your extra money in the speakers and not connectors or speaker wire (as long as you have heavy enough gauge and it meets code if you run it thru the walls.

I have gold Monster banana plugs (I bought at half price) but only because I make some changes and they are easy on my arthritic hands.

If you want the bananas them buy them here. Don't let the extremely low prices fool you. I have bought many connectors here and their products are quality and at wholesale prices. Their shipping is very reasonable and fast! At these prices it just might be worth the few pennies.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback (customer reviews)

RR6

RR6 AND BLACKRAVEN got you covered, but if your not going (bare wire) which is the best sure fit, you could get bluejeans cable locking banana plugs, there's no picture of them on the web site". they cost $5.25 per pair. very nice all metal gold & gray colour the collar" tightens plugs to the binding post LOCK' LOCK' them banana stay put.
    i bought 4 pairs at first as i did not know how they look? but after i installed them i got six more pairs.........IT'S ALL GOOD.

Fortunately

Quote Originally Posted by yottaflops
    I'm installing a whole-house audio system, so I have a lot of speakers that I need to connect up. The speakers (JBl SP6CSII, about $100/pair) are good, but not pro-grade or anything. I'm not really an audiophile either.

I'm connecting all the speakers using 16-gauge wire, as recommended by JBL. Now, I'm wondering whether I need to get Gold-plated Banana plugs, or if regular Banana plugs will suffice.I figure it will cost me $200 in Gold-plated connectors, and I'm not sure if it's worth it. The regular banana plugs cost almost nothing.
    You'd need you head examined to pay $200 for plugs for $100 speakers, (perhaps you agree?). Fortunately you don't have to pay $200 for gold-plated banana plugs.

I agree that you don't need plugs at all unless you disconnect the speakers fairly often. But you can get very decent, gold-plated banana plugs for reasonable prices. People have already mentioned connectors from Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice; to them I'd add Parts Express -- I have several pairs >theses<; (note that the price is for two pair).

See these plugs in my set up, bi-wiring Magneplanar speakers, >here<.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Rhodium costs less than gold, right? And it does not oxidize?

nope, Rhodium is basically as expensive as metals go...

durable though

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Copper is copper. What's the harm in connecting directly like we've done forever. The "ease" of use these bananas provide seem like: additional expense, additional work to get them connected, and an additonal factor in the connnectivity. Can't see how that adds up to a "gain".

Thread Information