Question Expensive THX cables & wire...

I am wanting to by a good set NOT a very expensive set of 5 speaker cables.I have a THX cert.powered subwoofer cable & I want to upgrade my speaker wire.Is the THX cert. speaker cable any better than any other speaker wire? A pair of THX speaker wire L & R stero speaker wire is $ 99.95 at crutchfield.I am not rich so,I can not spend $ 500.00 + tax + s/h for 5 pair of speaker wire.Is THX cert. wire worth spending that much money? I only use my Amp for Movies & watching WWE that I watch once a week.Should I spend $ 500.00 or just buy cheaper Acoustic Reasearch speaker wire?Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by swwdts; 01-23-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Forum Regular
    Short answer,no its not.There are many different quality levels of speaker wire and without knowing any of your gear it is hard to say if you would benefit from upgraded wire or not.Just because it says THX does not mean it is better than no THX wire.The THX label just means that the wire meets certain requirements that they have laid down and the manufacturer has paid for the certification.If you have a basic system all you need is sturdy,well insulated low gauge wire with good termination.Long wire runs will benefit from lower gauge wire the most.Gauge numbers go backwords,16 gauge is thicker than 18 gauge.

bill

The speaker wire size I use is 16AWG/GA. I asked another member about speaker wire size last month & I was told to use 16ga. & it saved me alot on money.Although,THX had cert.it being a good wire as well.

Go to home depot and get a 100ft. roll of Coleman Cable 12-2 Model 09513-62-08 for $41. It's probably all the speaker cable you'll ever need.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I do not need 12 ga wire for my HT surround. I used 12 ga. sp.wire for my car Rockford Fosgate amps & my HT system does not needed that size of wire.16ga.speaker wire works just just fine for my 20' surround.I do use 12ga. wire for my two 16" Pioneer 150watt/100RMS speakers for my Sony stero though.

Forum Regular
    Using THX certification as a reason for buying cable is not a good idea,it is mostly a marketing thing.Mostly.And 16 gauge is pretty thin for a 20 foot run.I use 13 gauge for 25 foot runs and i am starting to wonder about it.

bill

My 5 HT Sony speakers are all 100watt peak speaker/s so,I may only be getting 1 / 4 of that wattage out of my Pioneer Rec./ amp.My Pioneer specs,are 100 x 6 but, I am only geeting at the most 75 watts per channel per speaker.

Forum Regular
    Not sure where you are getting the 75 watts from,but if you are that is more than enough for most people.

bill

I bought that Pioneer Rec 3 years ago.I thought it ment 6.1 I was upset when I found out that it was only 5.1. As far as it's hook ups.I like the way that the speaker inputs & outputs are banana inputs.I bought a Sony Rec. last year but all even the subwoofer hookups are clip input & outputs.I hate those type inputs.When I buy new pre built stero & HT speaker I change the speaker clip input hook ups to banana hook ups.

Thread Information