Question Does anyone use Monster Cables?

Just a simple question of cable tastes.... I really enjoy the monster spkr cables and analog interconnects, But I don't seem to see many people using them on this site, is there a reason? Not good for the money? Better stuff out there for comparable prices? Just wondering cause I would hate to think I wasted all that money ... aaahhhh!
    Thanks for any input!

It's because a lot of people around here think they are unjustifiably expensive, that you are paying more for the reputation/name recognition than you are for a quality product, but that doesn't mean that they produce schlock. It's just that there are far more less expensive cables, that for all intents and purposes, do the same thing. What Monster has going for them is that they, unlike searing political satire, are everywhere you turn.

Forum Regular
    Simply go to www.cablewholesale.com. There you will find cables of comparable or better quality than Monster for a fraction of the price. Do your own A/B comparison, you will see no difference in performance.

Forum Regular

That's one reason...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    It's because a lot of people around here think they are unjustifiably expensive, that you are paying more for the reputation/name recognition than you are for a quality product, but that doesn't mean that they produce schlock. It's just that there are far more less expensive cables, that for all intents and purposes, do the same thing. What Monster has going for them is that they, unlike searing political satire, are everywhere you turn.
    Another reason alot of people on this site don't use Monster is quite the opposite. They seem to think that Monster IS schlock and to attain the audio nirvana they seek requires spending even MORE (sometimes 10x more) money than Monster charges.

To each their own!

Forum Regular
    No way. I make my own and / or buy from Parts Express. The price they ask for Monster at the big retailers makes me want to puke. As though anything on their sales floor would benefit from better cabling.

jocko

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman00
    Just a simple question of cable tastes.... I really enjoy the monster spkr cables and analog interconnects, But I don't seem to see many people using them on this site, is there a reason?
    There are probably a lot of people here that have at one time or another owned (or still own) Bose and don't advertise it either. If you are happy with the return on your investment, and judging by your first statement I'd say that's an unqualified "yes", don't worry about what others think or what they use. There are fanboys and haters for every single product made. This is about the music, not ego. Just grab some tunes and enjoy.

well put TOPSPEED I agree.... nice to hear that infact!

nt nt nt nt

Forum Regular
    Just a simple question of cable tastes.... I really enjoy the monster spkr cables and analog interconnects, But I don't seem to see many people using them on this site, is there a reason? Not good for the money? Better stuff out there for comparable prices? Just wondering cause I would hate to think I wasted all that money ... aaahhhh!
    Thanks for any input!
    I didn't care for the sound of the Monster cables I tried in my system(s) over the years - simple as that. But I know people who use and enjoy Monster cables. Also, I think it's considered hip these days to bash Monster along with Bose, particularly in light of their recent foray into legal strong-arm tactics. Finally, Monster has earned a reputation somehow of being a sort of "too good for Circuit City shoppers" and "not good enough for audiophiles" cable company. I think they make fine products but they just haven't worked for me for totally sonic and system compatibility reasons. Again, I know others who have had great success with them and if you're one of them, there is no need to second guess that success - just enjoy it!

Forum Regular
    Thanks for any input!
    I use monster cables becasue when I purchased my first stereo I didn't know any better.

Forum Regular
    I use Monster Cable in my car because when I purchased it I wasn't aware that there was better stuff out there. I have been fairly pleased with it in my car. But, the car is a much different listening setting than at home. Road noise is so loud that I probably couldn't really appreciate great cable in my car anyways. If you are happy with the Monster Cable I say stay with it. If not, there is definitly better stuff out there and you can probably find something that will make you happier for a similar price.

Goodluck.
    -Shwamdoo

Yes. . .
    Visit my site for more stereos:
    www.jimmyneutron.org

"Just a simple question of cable tastes"

I tasted my monster M 2.2's...I wasn't happy at all...it left a rubbery metallic taste in my mouth...I had a PB&J sand and it went away...so I just listen to them from that point on...but I still eat a PB&J...weekly.

Peace, Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Forum Regular
    Thanks for any input!
    i use kimberkable, try it out , it ****s over any cable ive ever tried, including monster

Smile Kimber Kable

I would love to get my hands on Kimber Kable products, but they are out of my price range. But I still use Monster THX Standard speaker cables and they do good for the price. But hope fully that will change very soon!

I use Monsters along with other assorted cables and interconnects that I've acquired over the years. The quality of the Monster products is fine, but probably overpriced for what you get. Most of the Monster products that I own were purchased for about half off at various warehouse sales and clearances by local retailers. The margins on these products are so high that even at half off, the store still makes quite a bit. Generally, I think that so long as you're going with something better than 24 gauge speaker wire or those molded plastic OEM interconnects, you're fine. Once you get above that, the returns on investment diminish very quickly. And in audio, there are plenty of other upgrades that have substantially greater performance improvements for the money. As topspeed said, it's about you being happy with your system, not what others say.

Forum Regular

Recovering Monster Cable User

I too didn't know any better and used Monster Cables in my system. Now that my taste has changed over the years, I regret purchasing some Monster products. I also own thier power conditioners, which seem to be a lot better then thier cables, although I've never had the need or desire to try a different power conditioner.

I can only speak of my recent experience, which I posted in another thread, of purchasing the top of the line Belkin PureAv, which absolutely blew away my Monster Cables in every respect and cost a fraction of the price. They are better constructed then 99 percent of the cables out there with a comparable sound.

http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_det...duct_Id=178688

I'm in the computer field so I've very familiar with Belkin's other products. They are essentially the leader in computer cables, that are manufactured under much, much higher standards then any speaker cable manufacture. I'm sure other people on this board will disagree, but lets be realistic. No, small time speaker cable manufacture has the capacity or the engineering / manufacturing knowlege to produce consistently a quality product, when compared to a multi-million dollar computer cable manufacture that must adhere to ISO standards, OSHA Standards, SIGMA 6, Ethernet Standards, etc.

I was able to pick up a pair of the very rigid PureAV Spaker Cables for around $50 on some thenerds dot net site (the cheapest I could find). I was absolutely blown away by the quaility. They give a lifetime product warranty, and it's nice to know they will actually be around to stand behind the warranty if I ever need it. Well the cables are built like a tank so I doubt I will. However, my Monster cables, are all built like crap, with cheap welds, and they were purchased in two the higher end stores in Manhattan (Harvey Electronics & Stereo Exchange).

If you're just doing Home Theatre Monster Cables are probably ok, but I'll never personnally purchase them again. I certainly wouldn't allow them in my two channel system.

------------------------
    Rotel RX-1052
    Rotel RCD-1070
    Triangle Comete Speakers
    Interconnects: TRIBUTARIES SCA300 SILVER AUDIO
    Speaker Cable: PureAV AV53001-12

Forum Regular
    I think that the monster cables are fine for 90% of all users. They come with good instructions are labeld have way correct and every dummy can install them. The quality is actually quite good (i only know the 600 and 1000 series). Most people (eventough they think they do) dont have the system to tell the differences in sound anyways.

The higher you get, the more simple becomes the cable actually.

-Flo
    Maggie 3.6R to be replaced with new Apogee Scintillas 1ohm !! :-) 20Hz flat to Ultrasonic at 110db at 4m
    System1: Magnepan MG3.6R/SE,Jolida JD3000b, Krell KSA-150, Audio Analouge Paganini MKII, Audioquest Slate and NRG-2
    System2:
    VMPS RM30M, Rega Planet 2000MKII, Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Rega Planar 2 with Super BIAS, Rega Phono Stage
    System3: Magnepan MG.5QR/SE, Cambridge Audio C500/P500, Philips CD985 connected to Leasegang projector
    Contact me...f.wiegand@t-online.de

Linear Guy

comment on monster, etc

AT 50 years old I have evolved from system to system. Like almost everyone I knew in the mid to late 70"s, monster cable was an important purchase. We never considered cable quality beyone that. They still make good stuff and it is totally acceptable for most systems. I don't use it anymore because IMO my current system is more revealing and does not hesitate to show weak spots in standard cabling. I have upgraded to a competor of Monster in the 200.00 price range and I am fine with it.

Monster does not overprice their cables. The X2 is a lot of technology for a buck a foot.
    Just about everyone else in the high end market do overprice their cables though. Most of the claims are for the most part, unbelievable and it is difficult to sort through all the superlatives. Its like these tech writers used to write for Penthouse "Letters".

How good a cable sounds depends entirelyon your system and your taste. Clearly there is no right or wrong here....only what is right for you.

A simple suggestion, stop agonizing over cable. Save your bucks and upgrade your CD player to an upsampling unit. the quality difference may give you peace of mind without
    doing anything else. Good Luck.

AR ELITE MEMBER
    You Should Try The Sigma Retro Wires. Sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!there Is A Night And Day Difference From The 2.2 To Them.

The sound!

I simply prefer the sound of other cables, currently AudioQuest, IMS. I have used Monster in the past but I now find the sound to soft to my ears, really smooth but lacking detail. My $.02

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Jason Monette
    Quote Originally Posted by risabet
    I simply prefer the sound of other cables, currently AudioQuest, IMS. I have used Monster in the past but I now find the sound to soft to my ears, really smooth but lacking detail. My $.02
    I would agree, and I would also agree that for what monster charges you, you can get a much higher quality cable elsewhere.

Thread Information