Thread: DIY Cables

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar

DIY Cables

After moving my speakers around, I used several different speaker cables and wires to wire the speakers and crossovers. I had some some solid core 20 gauge all silver teflon coated laying around so I decided to make some new wires.

They are in the Kimber Kable T4C configuration (more or less). I used 4 wires for the positive and 4 for the negative. Using my drill, I twisted each group of 4 wires into 2 single strands. Then I twisted these 2 stands together to make my speaker cable. This resulted in a cable at about 14 gauge. I made two sets, one for the tweeter and one for the woofers (shotgun configuration).

The result is improved clarity and more defined images. The highs, such as produced by cymbals, are clearer, sharper, and more natural sounding.

I realize that cables are system dependant, but these work very well in my system at a fraction of the cost of Kimber Kable.

For those that don't like silver, the same thing can be done with copper or silver coated copper.

I'm not sure it matters, but I used solid core 20 gauge wire with teflon coating. Some people believe this is important.

These easily bested my $300 8ft (thicker) name brand cables.

The last thing is that if 14 gauge is not enough, just add more strands. You can buy 20 gauge silver coated copper for $20/100 foot which is enough for a 10 foot pair of cables.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 08-09-2013 at 06:28 AM.

I have often thought of doing something like that some time but I just never found the time to try it. It would seem that if you have the know how you could build something similar to the high dollar cables yourself and save a lot of money. About the only thing I would not be able to do is to perform the tests like the cable companies do since I do not have the equipment.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I have often thought of doing something like that some time but I just never found the time to try it. It would seem that if you have the know how you could build something similar to the high dollar cables yourself and save a lot of money. About the only thing I would not be able to do is to perform the tests like the cable companies do since I do not have the equipment.
    This only took me about an hour or so to make. I used two spools of 50 foot wire. I stretched each spool out on the floor and folded it twice and then cut where the wires were folded. This gave me 4 strands of 12 foot wire. I then taped one end to a door knob and the other I stuck into my drill. I stretched the wire out so that it was straight and had some tension on it and spun the drill until the twists were tight. I repeated this for the other spool. I marked one group of strands to know which one to use for negative and positive. I placed these two groups of strands together and repeated the door knob/drill thing again. I stripped the ends to bare wire and I was done.

If you like these wires you can terminate them as you wish. I think they look great without sheathing, but that is a personal choice.

22 gauge is also a nice wire to use because it is more flexible and makes great interconnects. I have done that using 2 wires for each interconnect, but I sheathed them. They look like very expensive store bought interconnects. Keep in mind that 22 gauge wire can easily break if bent too sharply. I have expensive silver interconnects and I can't tell the difference between them and my DIY's in terms of sound.

Anyway, if you think you might want to try this someday, you can order the wire from apexjr at a good price. You can get this in 6 or 7 colors, depending on gauge. You will have to order the wire over the phone because his web site is not interactive. Apexjr Wire

Solid Core PTFE wire

26 Awg $0.11ft $10.00/100ft white
    24 Awg $0.13ft $12.00/100ft white
    22 Awg $0.17ft $16.00/100ft black, red, brown, yellow, violet, orange, and white
    20 Awg $0.22ft $20.00/100ft blue, black, orange,white, violet,green, yellow, red
    18Awg $0.35ft $32.50/100 black, white, red, green
    16 Awg $0.50ft $50.00/100ft white

I looked on other sites and the wire can be expensive, especially audio sites. I suggest that you order some wire and have it laying around so that when you get the time and the urge, you can get right to it.

You will need a wire stripper for whatever gauge you get. It's very hard to strip 22 gauge without one.

You might want to try only one strand (at lower power) to get an idea of what solid core sounds like (especially on the tweeter). There are people who make a living selling this stuff one strand at a time, terminated and sheathed to make it look good.

Have fun!

BTW, if you find this fun, you can buy some foil inductors and make speaker wire out of that.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 08-11-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Thread Information