Forum Regular

digital coax or normal RCA

i have a dvd player hooked into my reciever i would like to use the digital coax to connect the two i have had it connected throught just the normal RCA left and right and then the video(red, white,yellow) i was wondering if i could just unplug the red and white cables and plug one of those into the digital out in my dvd player and then into the digital in in the reciever and just leave the other cable disconnected. basically what i'm asking is, is there a difference between the two audio cables or did they just change the name and package and use the same cable? thanks for your info

It might work.

digital cables, at minimum, should be 75 ohms. Audio cables need not be but lately many have been, due to manufacturing costs.

For a few feet, I'd certainly give it a try. One good thing about digital. It either works or it doesn't.

If not, generally any 75 ohm cable will work and these don't have to cost a fortune.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    digital cables, at minimum, should be 75 ohms. Audio cables need not be but lately many have been, due to manufacturing costs.

For a few feet, I'd certainly give it a try. One good thing about digital. It either works or it doesn't.

If not, generally any 75 ohm cable will work and these don't have to cost a fortune.

Yep, those red and white should work. After all, if a plain coat hanger works just fine, that should too.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    yup ive seen them used for that, and everything works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferman
    i have a dvd player hooked into my reciever i would like to use the digital coax to connect the two i have had it connected throught just the normal RCA left and right and then the video(red, white,yellow) i was wondering if i could just unplug the red and white cables and plug one of those into the digital out in my dvd player and then into the digital in in the reciever and just leave the other cable disconnected. basically what i'm asking is, is there a difference between the two audio cables or did they just change the name and package and use the same cable? thanks for your info
    There is a difference between the video cable and the audio cables. There is no difference between a digital audio cable and a video cable.

The video cable and digital audio cable are both specified to have a 75 ohm characterisitic impedence. This is a technical specification which is intended to reduce internal reflections by having the impedences matched (i.e. the input, output and cable impedences). Analog audio cables have too low a frequency to worry about so there is no specification for characteristic impdence although if you took a bunch of analog cables and measured them, most would fall into the 30-70 ohm range.

Video cabling usually has better shielding but this is not as important for digital audio cables. In the end, video and digital analog cables are better than analog audio cables and therefore can be used as analog audio cables.

You have to careful though if you want to use analog audio cables as a video cable or a digital audio cable. Distance is a critical factor when using cables and longer the distance (or length of the cable to be more specific), the greater the likelyhood of problems in cheap cables.

However, for short analog audio cables, as long as they are not damaged or dental floss thickness, they should work fine for digital audio or even video.

As a matter of fact, I challenge all of you out there to remove whatever digital cable you are using and put in a short analog audio cable. I'd be surprised if you heard any difference in the sound whatsoever.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Forum Regular
    i have 2 different fibre optic cables and one of them sends out more bass to my sub then the other. i tested them back and forth alot. its really weird. there both the cheap 20 - 30 dollar type of ones. the one with more bass is a low end monster and the other with less bass is just some no name brand type of one.

Forum Regular
    There is no difference between a digital audio cable and a video cable.
    Is this just a statament of opinion, or is there any evidence that backs up this claim?

I'd be really interested in the evidence, if there were any.

I guess I should phrase that a different way. Are you suggesting that every cable manufacturer makes both the same way, or that each sounds the same?

Either way it sure sounds like you are making a statement of fact, and it would be nice to see any supporting information.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseburro
    Is this just a statament of opinion, or is there any evidence that backs up this claim?

I guess I should phrase that a different way. Are you suggesting that every cable manufacturer makes both the same way, or that each sounds the same?

Either way it sure sounds like you are making a statement of fact, and it would be nice to see any supporting information.
    I'm not sure what you accept as "evidence" but the specification for a cable carrying an S/PDIF digital audio signal is a coaxial cable with RCA terminations and a 75 ohm characteristic impedence which is also the specification for component and composite video cables.

See this link from the Belden Wire Company:
    http://bwcecom.belden.com/college/Techpprs/wcfsbetp.HTM

Cable manufacturers can meet or exceed this specifications in many ways by using different shielding, dielectrics, gauges etc. As a personal opinion, I cannot see how a digital audio cable can sound different from another (in our own home using normal lengths) as long as they are properly made.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseburro

A fact is that a video cable is 75 ohms in consumer audio electronics. A fact is that so is the digital audio cable. Check the specs on the components what is required. Characteristic impedance is all that is required. That you can take to the bank. But I am sure, you have evidence that they are different that you can tell under bias controlled conditions? Or that Pierre Sprey can?
    If you are suggesting cables sound different, specifically digital cables, your evidence is required up front, thanks.
    And, as to other cables sounding different, your evidence is also required up front, thanks.
    mtrycrafts

Thread Information