Forum Regular Registered Member

Difference in s-video cables?

Is there a noticeable difference in performance of s-video cables from different manufacturers, and if so, which ones are better? I just had to replace my Monster M1000sv which became intermittant at one end by the connector, so I bought a Better Cables Silver Serpent s-video cable, and can not really see much of a difference, if any. If anything, it may not produce quite as sharp a picture as the Monster, but without being able to A/B them, I don't really know.

Also, if I tried to resolder the wires on the Monster cable so I could still use it, would it perform the same as before? I would probably try Wonder silver solder and maybe some ProGold on the connections. Any advice on this?

I've not noticed a difference in S-video cables.

Then again, it was just 6' of really generic RCA stuff vs 6' of some kinda Moster stuff someone gave me.

As far as fixing your old cable goes, I doubt it's worth the effort but if you can resolder that teeeny tiny connection without introducing any other problems in that tiny space then you should be all right.

Oh, you DO know how to solder, right? You'll probaby need to strip off some insulation to make a solid physical conection but that's no problem, right? Of course, you'll probably need to do that for each wire in that cable since the lengths of all wires will need to be the same.. Also, you DO know that silver solder js a royal PITA to work with even for experienced techs, doncha?

monster cable is guaranteed for life, even for your problem. its all i trust

Thread Information