Forum Regular

Coax cable through heat ducts?

I am trying to install an off-air antenna in my attic. The only way I can easily get a coax cable from the attic to my basement is through the heat duct.

The cable would come into the basement through the heat duct about 4 feet from the furnace. So the duct is very hot. (I can probably exit the cable through the duct a bit higher up where it is slightly cooler.)

Is it an advisable method of running coax cable? I have heard suggestions that I should not do this period. Other suggestions are that it is OK as long as I use plenum rated coax. Still other suggestions are that regular coax is fine. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I wouldn't do it. Not only because it gets hot, but also because you don't want to block your heat.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

As an ex-electrician, plenum rated cables of any kind are for the toxic gasses that are expelled in case of a fire in the plenum and is not a heat rating. Most cable has a rating of 40 to 60 degree(Celsius) rating so I would check the temp. rating printed on the jacket.

As far as any signal degration due to heat I will leave that for others to comment on.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

How hot does the vent get close to the furnace? Heat does create more resistance, but the question is, how much heat does it take to affect the resistance to the point that you will be able to audibly notice it? Why don't you call a cable manufacturer like www.bluejeancable.com www.cobaltcable.com and www.bettercables.com they may have some answers for you. You might even try your local cable TV provider.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

I would...

...strongly advise against it...

jimHJJ(...very strongly...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice. I found another way to run (through the cold air returns).

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by jdag
    Thanks for the advice. I found another way to run (through the cold air returns).
    ...I hate to put a damper (no pun intended) on your new route but...use of cold air returns may be in violation of local zoning ordinances...Downstate in NYC, teflon/PTFE-type wiring is mandated in the common plenum...the larger equivalent of your cold-air return...Should, God forbid, anything happen, you may be seen as criminally liable and your insurance company will most likely disallow any claim that arises...

jimHJJ(...something to ponder...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Forum Regular
    Wow...you got me thinking. I've made a number of phone calls today (electricians, electrical supply houses). Universally they say they they've used "regular" coax cable in such installations. One company that supplies the local cable company and indicated that they use regular cable and do run through cold air returns.

Others have said that for peace of mind it would not hurt to use the plenum rated cable.

Wow...you got me thinking. I've made a number of phone calls today (electricians, electrical supply houses). Universally they say they they've used "regular" coax cable in such installations. One company that supplies the local cable company and indicated that they use regular cable and do run through cold air returns.

Others have said that for peace of mind it would not hurt to use the plenum rated cable.
    Sounds like a list of people I'd never hire!

-Bruce

Well...

...as stated, perhaps the NYC ordinances differ from your locality...and then again, plenum-rated wire is approx 5X the cost of conventional stuff (at least the last time I looked)...Maybe these guys are just playin' the odds and are more concerned with the bottom line...

jimHJJ(...you pays yer money and you takes yer chances...)

Thread Information