Thread: coax audio wire

Talking coax audio wire

i was able to use a Y splitter with the DVD player and the DigitlCable since the cable box only has a coax digital out and my coax jack on my receiver was already being used by the DVD player the Y splitter lets me use both....... geinus i think!!

Forum Regular
    Hi Jeffro,

I wanted to warn you about your solution. The intended characteristic impedance of a digital coax line is nominally 110 Ohms. However, that is the termination resistance at TWO points, the output of the cable or DVD buffer amp, and the coax input on the receiver. What you have done, depending on the kind of splitter used, is introduced another parallel leg to ground at 110 Ohms, and possibly an even lower output impedance of the buffer amps. You may get "undefined operation" at times, or even resultant equipment damage, say on a particularly warm day when the dissipation ratings of the buffers is exceeded. Try instead, a cheap video game composite switch! There are also Coax to Toslink converters available at moderate cost. Some don't like Toslink much for audiophile standards, but I will remind you AC3 is actually MP3 coding, so its not as big a deal.
    “The only thing to be Patriotic about is the Truth.”
    MAS

Quote Originally Posted by Toga
    Hi Jeffro,

I wanted to warn you about your solution. The intended characteristic impedance of a digital coax line is nominally 110 Ohms. However, that is the termination resistance at TWO points, the output of the cable or DVD buffer amp, and the coax input on the receiver. What you have done, depending on the kind of splitter used, is introduced another parallel leg to ground at 110 Ohms, and possibly an even lower output impedance of the buffer amps. You may get "undefined operation" at times, or even resultant equipment damage, say on a particularly warm day when the dissipation ratings of the buffers is exceeded. Try instead, a cheap video game composite switch! There are also Coax to Toslink converters available at moderate cost. Some don't like Toslink much for audiophile standards, but I will remind you AC3 is actually MP3 coding, so its not as big a deal.
    thx for the News ill disconnect it, i called RadioShack to see if thay had that type of converter but he said they didnt

Forum Regular
    www.markertek.com

Look at the POF-820 ($23), or the bi-directional MM-C02 ($60)

Cheers!
    “The only thing to be Patriotic about is the Truth.”
    MAS

Thread Information