Forum Regular

Choosing the right/affordable audio cable.

Hi, I purchased a pair of PSB speakers and a Yamaha A/V (Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras and More!. Once both units arrived it came to my attention that neither comes with audio cables.
    Once I started looking I noticed that there are countless options out there in terms of quality and plugs.
    First of all, do both units accept banana/spade/ring plugs? If so, what would be the best choice? Or should i just go with the bare wire instead?
    Second, could anybody recommend a wire that does not cost too much but still provides great quality? I would prefer not to spend more than $100 for a stereo setup with 2m each. It seems that the sky is the limit with those things.

i realize that I could ask the same question at a specialty store but am afraid that some sales person would take advantage of me. Trying to sell me a cheap cable at a crazy price. Like they do with those HDMI cables.

Thanks.

Forum Regular
    For some reason the link got messed up. The receiver is the Yamaha RX-V373.

Suspended
    You don't need to spend a lot to enjoy your system. With your speaker cable requirement of only 2m, I think you can get away with some inexpensive 14ga or 16ga wire. Many just use lamp cord. This will get you by until you get more involved and start reading more about the hobby.

If you need HDMI, you may as well go with the latest version HDMI 1.4. It's more than you'll need, but provides additional feature you may want later. A good place for very reasonable prices on HDMI is Cables, Connectors & Patch Cables since 1995. You may check their speakers cables. I hadn't looked because I ddn't need them. Also ebay is a good choice for better than average cables at reasonable prices. Good luck.

Check out Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices They make budget friendly cables and speaker wire that is high quality and excellent sounding. Buy their 12g unterminated speaker wire for 52cents per foot. You can buy their banana plugs or spades which are screw on and take about 10 minutes per cable to install or just run bare wire ends. I would do the banana or spades for the receiver end and bare for the speaker ends. You a looking at about $3.50 for a 6 meter cable of unterminated wire.

They also make great Interconnects for about $30pr for 1 meter. You can get them in just about any length you want. I would not skimp on IC's. They do make a difference in sound quality. But if you want to go cheap you can try HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! The monoprice cables do not have the level of detail that the Bluejeans have.

If you are going to use optical cable, or digital coax I would check out Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components or HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! Don't spend a ton of money on digital cables. Parts express makes some nice shielded USB cables for under $10 if you need one.

Stay away from Monster Cables as they are way over priced. I use mostly bluejeans cables in my reference system.
    Last edited by blackraven; 01-17-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Check out Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices They make budget friendly cables and speaker wire that is high quality and excellent sounding. Buy their 12g unterminated speaker wire for 52cents per foot. You can buy their banana plugs or spades which are screw on and take about 10 minutes per cable to install or just run bare wire ends. I would do the banana or spades for the receiver end and bare for the speaker ends. You a looking at about $3.50 for a 6 meter cable of unterminated wire.
    I agree with these sentiments, in particular about Blue Jeans Cable who offer excellent, professional grade products at reasonable prices.

To generalize just a little, people with entry or mid-level systems do well to avoid expensive cables, (e.g. interconnects >$50 for pair of 3 foot length). Any improvements are likely to be extremely small, (if not entirely imaginary), and the money is better spent upgrading the components they would connect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturnOfJj View Post
    If so, what would be the best choice? Or should i just go with the bare wire instead?
    What Feanor said.

I've found that cables can most certainly make a difference, but in proportion to the system. I use some Blue Jeans cable in the garage system. Nicely terminated Belden stuff.

I had an A/V dealer let me bring home 4 different base level designs over a weekend to determine what I liked in my system. Once I chose my favorite, he then let me listen to a couple different models. I ended up with something I never thought I'd pay for but the sound was undeniable. Until you are comfortable with trying different cables, the Blue Jeans route is very value friendly.
    d HC b

Thread Information