Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Cable curious, single for bi-wire

Reading on another forum about single wire vs bi-wire reminded me of the first time I hooked up the MoFi OML1's with single wire and the metal jumpers. One of the suggestions and I cannot remember who to contribute this idea to but they suggested not upgrading the jumpers but plugging the positive/red wire to the positive high frequency speaker terminal and the negative/black wire to the negative low frequency terminal with the standard jumpers in place.

Too much snow and boredom and I decided to try it. I brought the OML1's out for the experiment. I chose theses speakers since I first noticed a more audible difference between single wire and bi-wire. When first single wired using both wires to the low frequency terminal I noticed a soundstage that narrowed in the upper frequencies. An odd effect.

Listening to the speakers single wired in the new configuration I noticed non of the negative effects I experienced previously. Actually the sound was quite good. I am back to using the Rocket 44 internally bi-wired cables since I already own them.

If anyone buys speakers that are bi-wired and only have single wire cables I would suggest they use the positive right/high frequency hookup and the negative left/low frequency hookup. I did not hear a need for internally bi-wire cables or upgraded jumpers. Of course I am going to try this with other speakers I own.

I am also curious regarding the difference between my single wire Rocket 33's and internally bi-wired Rocket 44's. The bi-wire 44's of course have half the wire going to the upper frequencies and half to the lower frequencies. The 33's have all their wire going to the speakers. I am wondering if the different gauges will be noticeable. Of course the weather is finally warming up and the snow is melting so it may be awhile.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

***** Lurker
    I applaud your ingenuity in trying that but I guess that would work although I am at a loss to explain why there would be an audible difference.

Thread Information