using heatshrink on cables?

I'm thinking about making some bi-wiring cables for my speakers since i need something to fill my spare time after work. I have a spool of 100 feet of 12 guage wire, got some banana plugs coming form parts express. Below is a schematic of how it will work. The gray surrounding the wires would be heatshring or whatever else i decide to use. I understand that bi-wiring will most likely not do anything to help sound but i guess it will be a fun project to do, also it should look nicer than just having bare wire (this is especially noticeable since the rear of my speakers face the door to my room and they are the first thing you see). my question is whether heatshrink is the best thing to use to cover the wires. How much does it cost and where can i get it? The cheaper the better. Also what other alternatives are there. These things will probably run 25 feet or more each so keep that in mind.

Thanks for any suggestions

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    I'm thinking about making some bi-wiring cables for my speakers since i need something to fill my spare time after work. I have a spool of 100 feet of 12 guage wire, got some banana plugs coming form parts express. Below is a schematic of how it will work. The gray surrounding the wires would be heatshring or whatever else i decide to use. I understand that bi-wiring will most likely not do anything to help sound but i guess it will be a fun project to do, also it should look nicer than just having bare wire (this is especially noticeable since the rear of my speakers face the door to my room and they are the first thing you see). my question is whether heatshrink is the best thing to use to cover the wires. How much does it cost and where can i get it? The cheaper the better. Also what other alternatives are there. These things will probably run 25 feet or more each so keep that in mind.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Braided sleeving is a more appropriate material for covering speaker cables, especially for what you want to do. Use heatshrink just on the ends for a few inches. You can buy materials at Cableorganizer.com. They do small orders and usually ship promptly.
    http://cableorganizer.com/wire-management/

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    Braided sleeving is a more appropriate material for covering speaker cables, especially for what you want to do. Use heatshrink just on the ends for a few inches. You can buy materials at Cableorganizer.com. They do small orders and usually ship promptly.
    http://cableorganizer.com/wire-management/
    Thanks for the tip. There are a billion types of cable wraps on there so i dont know which is good for me any advice?

Thread Information