AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Cheap Wire Input - HQ vs non-HQ

Wishing to avoid the depths of speaker wire discussion that already occur on this board, does anyone have any input relative to the merits between a 14g "high strand HQ" wire and a 12 gauge "non-HQ" wire?

The following are inexpensive options I'm considering. The "HQ" wire states "high strand count" and "99.9% pure copper". The 12g had "19 strands". I've actually purchased both the HQ and a 14g "non-HQ" version. Getting ready for my 3rd order before I actually install the stuff!

14g http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-762
    12g http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-740

The HQ has a much thicker jacket with some kind of insulation. Looks like that will make it more of a pain to work with and pull through my runs (only from baseboard up to speaker location - and through the basement ceiling too). I also may have to run outside my wall for some short runs on top of a doorway molding, and this cable may be more noticeable.

The non-HQ is nothing more than a couple wires inside another jacket. Smaller overall cable diameter.

Thanks!!!! Starting to get "twitchy" to hear my system! Bought an HK AVR525 at a low price about 5 months ago, then had to wait a few months for my Infinity Modulus 7.1 speakers to arrive.....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cz9h3d
    Wishing to avoid the depths of speaker wire discussion that already occur on this board, does anyone have any input relative to the merits between a 14g "high strand HQ" wire and a 12 gauge "non-HQ" wire?

The following are inexpensive options I'm considering. The "HQ" wire states "high strand count" and "99.9% pure copper". The 12g had "19 strands". I've actually purchased both the HQ and a 14g "non-HQ" version. Getting ready for my 3rd order before I actually install the stuff!

14g http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-762
    12g http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-740

The HQ has a much thicker jacket with some kind of insulation. Looks like that will make it more of a pain to work with and pull through my runs (only from baseboard up to speaker location - and through the basement ceiling too). I also may have to run outside my wall for some short runs on top of a doorway molding, and this cable may be more noticeable.

The non-HQ is nothing more than a couple wires inside another jacket. Smaller overall cable diameter.

Thanks!!!! Starting to get "twitchy" to hear my system! Bought an HK AVR525 at a low price about 5 months ago, then had to wait a few months for my Infinity Modulus 7.1 speakers to arrive.....

How long for each run? If for rear speakers, long run, use the 12 ga. Otherwise the 14 ga is fine, or the 12, doesn't really matter.
    mtrycrafts

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    How long for each run? If for rear speakers, long run, use the 12 ga. Otherwise the 14 ga is fine, or the 12, doesn't really matter.

Rear speaker runs are 25 feet maybe........

I know that lower gauge in general is better (up to a point). I guess my real question is the standard wire (which I can get in 12 or 14 gauge) vs. the HQ (14 gauge only).

For the same price ($20 per 100ft) I'm inclined to pick the 12 gauge normal over the 14 gauge HQ. The HQ has a bunch of extra insulation? between the wires and the outer jacket, which I can't figure out any use for (other than wire is a nice, thick round one compared to the non-HQ).

Thread Information