Forum Regular

Question Is component video hook-up only better on larger TVs?

I was reading a post asking about which type of video cable to use, and one of the replies said that component video cables are generally only better than S-video for use on screens 32" or larger. Is this true? My experience with video is practically nil.
    The reason I'm bringing this up is that I'm planning on switching TVs soon in my bedroom system, but am only looking at TVs no bigger than 25". I'm not thinking HD or anything like that, just a decent flat screen CRTV (thin-mint style is way beyond my means) that supports my progressive scan player. And since progressive scan is output only through component outs, should I not even really consider getting an S-video cable? I've seen progressive scan players/TVs in action, and I like what I see. But then again, I've never seen the same player/TV combo using S-video right next to the progressive scan version for comparison. Any help is appreciated.
    Mike

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike That Likes Music
    I was reading a post asking about which type of video cable to use, and one of the replies said that component video cables are generally only better than S-video for use on screens 32" or larger. Is this true? My experience with video is practically nil.
    The reason I'm bringing this up is that I'm planning on switching TVs soon in my bedroom system, but am only looking at TVs no bigger than 25". I'm not thinking HD or anything like that, just a decent flat screen CRTV (thin-mint style is way beyond my means) that supports my progressive scan player. And since progressive scan is output only through component outs, should I not even really consider getting an S-video cable? I've seen progressive scan players/TVs in action, and I like what I see. But then again, I've never seen the same player/TV combo using S-video right next to the progressive scan version for comparison. Any help is appreciated.
    Mike

25", in bedroom, I would not do all that. The screen is just too small to matter.
    mtrycrafts

Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    25", in bedroom, I would not do all that. The screen is just too small to matter.

Again, I must take partial excption to what mtrycraft suggests. Like you are inquiring, I don't take well to most blanket statements. I think in your case, Mike, it would depend on the TV you end up with. Can't say for sure, but I did read somewhere that some TVs that have a component video input will down convert the signal to S-video and in such a case, a component video cable would be a waste, so definitely look into the specs as you shop TVs. But I have a 27" myself, tv that is, and I like the difference I see both in clarity, definition, and color I get with the component cable over S-video. Ideally, it would be great if you could test the different cable types on the TV you purchase and see for yourself what the difference really is and whether its worth the almost assuredly higher cost of the component video cable.

Forum Regular
    Mike
    You're operating with a basic misunderstanding about progressive scan video that needs to be clarified so that you don't waste any money on component-video cables or on a progressive-scan DVD player either for that matter.

In order to display progressive-scan video, the TV set must be capable of a horizontal scanning rate that is double the rate for conventional analog TV sets. That is, a rate of 31.5KHz (per second). This rules out any and all 25" or 27" (or any other screen size) sets that are not "HDTV-ready". For a conventional analog TV set - of whatever screen size - the best you can do is an S-video connection of 480i video output. Do not let anyone mislead you otherwise.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    woodman:
    a poster at tweaks may need your help on an amp repair. Very recent post, today most likely
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    You're operating with a basic misunderstanding about progressive scan video that needs to be clarified so that you don't waste any money on component-video cables or on a progressive-scan DVD player either for that matter.

In order to display progressive-scan video, the TV set must be capable of a horizontal scanning rate that is double the rate for conventional analog TV sets. That is, a rate of 31.5KHz (per second). This rules out any and all 25" or 27" (or any other screen size) sets that are not "HDTV-ready". For a conventional analog TV set - of whatever screen size - the best you can do is an S-video connection of 480i video output. Do not let anyone mislead you otherwise.

Hope this helps you
    Thanks Woodman,
    I've been doing a little checking around on the internet for TV retailers and have yet to see a TV under 27" that purports to support progressive scan. So my question may be moot. So what is it exactly that makes a TV progressive scan supportive anyway? It MUST be digital? One of the things I noticed loking around for a TV is that they were all either "digitaly compatible" or not. Is this what you mean? And do you happen to know what the best resolution I could hope for with component cables on that same type of set would be? Is it equal to the S-Video's 480i?
    Unfortunately I live out in the boonies and have no way of really comparing cables unless I buy both and return one set. Which I could do but the distances make it a real hassle.

Thanks,
    Mike

So what is it exactly that makes a TV progressive scan supportive anyway?
    I think woodman already answered that by saying "...the TV set must be capable of a horizontal scanning rate that is double the rate for conventional analog TV sets. That is, a rate of 31.5KHz (per second)". It's really that simple. And further, the specs on the TV will say it can accept video in 480p or both 480p and 720p. BTW, this higher scan rate capability is one of the reasons these TVs cost more. A second BTW, you need a component video connection for progressive scan.

One of the things I noticed loking around for a TV is that they were all either "digitaly compatible" or not. Is this what you mean?
    Yes, this is true. There are two main types of TV these days, ones that are "HDTV compatible" and ones that are not.

And do you happen to know what the best resolution I could hope for with component cables on that same type of set would be? Is it equal to the S-Video's 480i?
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Cables don't have a "resolution".

After reading your original post, if you are hooking stuff up for the bedroom and are looking at 25" displays, then I would say you should get a basic DVD player (non-progressive), a decent 25" CRT non-digital TV and a basic S-video cable. That should do. When you have lots of cash and want to go hog wild in your main viewing room, then you should post back and ask what can be done for your HDTV viewing pleasure.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Mike
    After reading your original post, if you are hooking stuff up for the bedroom and are looking at 25" displays, then I would say you should get a basic DVD player (non-progressive), a decent 25" CRT non-digital TV and a basic S-video cable. That should do. When you have lots of cash and want to go hog wild in your main viewing room, then you should post back and ask what can be done for your HDTV viewing pleasure.
    Thanks Mike,
    I already have the DVD player, and it is progressive scan. But that's not why I bought it. It's actually a "universal" disc player. The progressive scan feature never entered into the equation when I was shopping around, it just happens to be there. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like a decent non-digital TV is the way for me to go. Right now I'm just using a big cheap Magnavox with only 1 coax input. The reason I'm switching is actually more about size than anything else. My current TV is just too big, and since I'm replacing I thought I'd try to get some idea as to what progressive scan is all about and if I should consider it.
    As for my question about cable resolution, that was my typical non-clarified question. Sorry about that. What I really meant to ask was if the S-video outputs put out the same number of scan lines as the component video. But I can probably find that out for myself.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

As for my question about cable resolution, that was my typical non-clarified question. Sorry about that. What I really meant to ask was if the S-video outputs put out the same number of scan lines as the component video. But I can probably find that out for myself.
    Thanks again,
    Mike
    The maximum output for s-video is 480i. Component video can output up to 1080i or 720p. I also believe it can output 1080p but I don't think there are any TVs or source material for that. Besides, that is not even an HDTV standard.

Your progressive scan DVD player can output up to 480p so you need component video to use this and an "HDTV-compatible" TV set.

Hope this clears everything up for you and as always if I am in error, somebody will point it out for me.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Forum Regular
    Thanks Mike,
    Thanks again,
    Mike
    You need some clarifying about video terminology here. You, like so many others, have some misunderstandings about resolution and scanning lines and such. To begin with, 480i and 480p and 720p and 1080i are NOT "resolutions" per se ... they are display formats that are included in the new DTV standards that we are in the middle of a transition to from the old NTSC analog television standard of the past 50 years. They indicate the number of scanning lines that make up the image, plus the suffix letter (i or p) determines whether the image is interlaced or progressively scanned.

The 480i format can be reproduced by ANY "old-fashioned" TV set, since it only requires a horizontal scanning rate (speed) of 15.75K per second. 480p (along with 1080i) on the other hand, requires a scanning rate of 31.5K - which means that only HDTV-ready sets will be capable of displaying them. The term digitally-compatible is really a misnomer, although it's used almost as a synonym for "HDTV-ready". Whether or not a given set will accept video signals in the digital format has nothing at all to do with the subject at hand. The 720p format which is not used nearly as often as the others requires a scanning speed of 43.2K, which is why there are very, very few video displays that can display the 720p format "natively".

So to answer your final question ... YES, the S-video ouput (at 480i) from your DVD player will output the exact same number of scanning lines as a component-video connection carrying a 480p signal.

Hope this clears up any remaining confusion you may have had
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular

Muchas gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    You need some clarifying about video terminology here. You, like so many others, have some misunderstandings about resolution and scanning lines and such. To begin with, 480i and 480p and 720p and 1080i are NOT "resolutions" per se ... they are display formats that are included in the new DTV standards that we are in the middle of a transition to from the old NTSC analog television standard of the past 50 years. They indicate the number of scanning lines that make up the image, plus the suffix letter (i or p) determines whether the image is interlaced or progressively scanned.

The 480i format can be reproduced by ANY "old-fashioned" TV set, since it only requires a horizontal scanning rate (speed) of 15.75K per second. 480p (along with 1080i) on the other hand, requires a scanning rate of 31.5K - which means that only HDTV-ready sets will be capable of displaying them. The term digitally-compatible is really a misnomer, although it's used almost as a synonym for "HDTV-ready". Whether or not a given set will accept video signals in the digital format has nothing at all to do with the subject at hand. The 720p format which is not used nearly as often as the others requires a scanning speed of 43.2K, which is why there are very, very few video displays that can display the 720p format "natively".

So to answer your final question ... YES, the S-video ouput (at 480i) from your DVD player will output the exact same number of scanning lines as a component-video connection carrying a 480p signal.

Hope this clears up any remaining confusion you may have had
    Thank you so much. I now feel better armed to enter the inevitable battle with the salespeople.
    Mike

Thread Information