Arrow Advice needed: what speaker cable to buy?

What's the WARMEST sounding speaker cable I can buy for under USD 500.00, 2-meter pair?

Thanks,
    Demetrio.

Forum Regular
    These convey warmth when used with a warm sounding tube amp.

6moons audio reviews: DIY*Cables - The White Lightning Moonshine

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrio View Post
    What's the WARMEST sounding speaker cable I can buy for under USD 500.00, 2-meter pair?

Thanks,
    Demetrio.
    What are you trying to compensate for? What gear and speakers are you using in this setup? And, what speaker cables are you using now?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Thanks,
    Demetrio.

I am also curious about what you want to compensate for with a change of cables. Is your system to bright sounding or lacking in bass. I looked at your profile so I see what compnents you are using but what cables are you currently using. I had a pair of interconnects once that would make you beg for warmer cables.

As far as brands I have always heard that Cardas cables are a warmer sounding cable.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Hi, guys, thank you very much for all replies.

Well, my current system is:

- Musical Fidelity A5.5 integrated amplifier
    - Dynaudio Contour 3.0 speakes
    - Denon CD player connected with Musical Fidelity M1DAC
    - Van Den Hul interconnects
    - Kimber 8TC speaker cables

The system is sounding good overall, but it happens that I have ear sensitivity problems at high frequencies, so that's the reason I wanted to give a little "warm" on it.

Thanks for your help,
    Demetrio.

Forum Regular
    My point was don't waste $500 on speaker cables.

Suspended
    I can say that before I owned my system, the original owner first had Kimber cables but switched to all Synergistic Research for a huge improvement.

There is a dedicated forum for Dynaudio owners at both AVS Forums and AudioAficionado

Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Dynaudio Speakers - AudioAficionado.org

It's possible you may find people with similar gear and Danes that can offer a better suggestion than an extension cord to better match what you are looking for.

Forum Regular
    Here is one of finest amps in the world. The $35,000 GM 70 using a pair of White Lightning Moonshines.

Dowdy Llama GM-70 tube amp startup - YouTube

Suspended
    I'm not going to turn this into a cable debate again Poultry.

I'm pretty sure Demetrio could figure out to use zip cord if he chose to but he is asking specifically to alter the sound with cables, not just to find the cheapest possible pc of wire he can find.

Forum Regular
    There's nothing to debate.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    Right, because any old extension cord will sound EXACTLY the same as ANY other cable choice.

My Audioquest Rocket 44's are very neutral with a smooth top end and a little warmth. There is very little contribution from the cable itself. The Rocket 44's are a great improvement over the AQ Slates I was using previously. I had my pair terminated for single wire bi-wire but they of course can be terminated as single wire. If you have never tried a solid core cable you may be surprised by the sound since you are used to stranded cables.

http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/dbl_s...d/rocket44.pdf

Oh and you are correct that cables do make a difference.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    My Audioquest FLX-14/4 sound the same as the White Lightning Moonshines as neither degrade the sound. The FLX boutique wires were given to me by my son-in-law who sells them. Had I paid good money for them the power of suggestion would tell me they sound better.

Suspended
    My Audioquest FLX-14/4 sound the same as the White Lightning Moonshines as neither degrade the sound.
    Great, and the OP specifically asked for a cable that will degrade the sound because he has a hearing issue with highs. What did you not get about that?

My Audioquest FLX-14/4 sound the same as the White Lightning Moonshines as neither degrade the sound. The FLX boutique wires were given to me by my son-in-law who sells them. Had I paid good money for them the power of suggestion would tell me they sound better.

Those are a stranded cable and not part of AQ's solid core series. I am not surprised stranded wire sounds like stranded wire. Since you have not tried solid core you have not heard the benefits. To my ears stranded cables do degrade the sound.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Indeed. You obviously haven't heard Odins in a world class system.

The system is sounding good overall, but it happens that I have ear sensitivity problems at high frequencies, so that's the reason I wanted to give a little "warm" on it.
    Your cables are sufficiently good for the system. I would focus on room treatments and power conditioning. Most homes have a wealth of devices that happily spew digital nasties into the AC that need to be tamed. Accumulated RFI and digital hash can add false brightness to any system.

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    I would try Audioquest Midnight cables which can be had used for little money.

Audioquest Midnight | eBay

Forum Regular
    Hi Demetrio, I agree with E-Stat. I don't think your current choice in VDH and Kimber cables are the problem. The problem may lie elsewhere as I think the Dyn's require lots of power to drive correctly to get the best out of them and from my past experience with M.F. and Denon products they tend to favor the upper ranges. Also, as E-Stat remarked, power conditioning may be of some interest to you.

I might add that a decent power cord may also be of some additional benefit. I know as the O.P. you asked for recommendations on speaker cable so my recommendation is check out Signal Cable products as they are affordable and favorably reviewed. Good luck with your research and selections.
    Last edited by LeRoy; 11-03-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: TYPO
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

Suspended
    I agree Audioquest cables I've heard have een "warm" as well the Analysis Plus but I've only heard the entry level.

I too feel power conditioning will help. If you are trying to tame energetic highs, the solid copper cables will certainly do that. Removing as much high freq. energy from the system will allow your highs to be heard without harsh upper end details. A power cable using magnetic chokes and a noise harvester. Easy to try on the amp over a weekend. If it don't work, take it back. If you do try a power cable, also give it a shot on your DAC.
    d HC b

Thread Information