Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AC cables

Linear Guy

this is why

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    if person A does not notice a difference with using enhanced power cords and person B does...what can one conclude? Well, just because one person wants to say that there is no difference perhaps other factors are involved. Maybe you are not listening to the same attributes or maybe your system does not enable a increase in quality. a better power cable is not going to make a lick of difference in an already cheap-o setup. However, the better the equipment the more noticeable little tweaks become.

I believe this to be true. The only reason I experiment with cables and mains is because, for better or worse, my system allows me to appreciate the differences. Truthfully, the jury's out on whether this is a blessing or a curse, as i have found myself completely dissatisfied with most inexpensive cable products. I ain't lyin

Santa Claus

Update

Put a CD in my CA azur 640c and was immersed in something on the internet when all of a sudden I was knocked out of my computer chair by a shock comming from my headphones.I turned around and my power cord was on fire and smoke was billowing out of my CDP.I ran to the window and opened it up to let the smoke out when I noticed it was a beautiful spring time day.Has anybody else experienced this?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    Put a CD in my CA azur 640c and was immersed in something on the internet when all of a sudden I was knocked out of my computer chair by a shock comming from my headphones.I turned around and my power cord was on fire and smoke was billowing out of my CDP.I ran to the window and opened it up to let the smoke out when I noticed it was a beautiful spring time day.Has anybody else experienced this?
    Yes, I have noticed beautiful spring days before..they are nice, aren't they?.

Oh, you mean that fire?

Was the line cord a stock one?

Is your outlet standard, or have you modified anything.

Have you modified the CDP?

Have you (foolishly) played around with the AC distribution in your house?

Did anything else go in the house?

Is your safety ground adequate at the water pipe?

Is your neutral line at the power feed into your house still connected?

Is it a two wire cord, or a 3.

Did you have any cheater plugs there?

What kind of heating system do you have...forced air, radiant, baseboard.

Any hungry cats?

Are the clocks or vcr/dvd or microwave blinking 12:00

Did you add any grounding schemes to your house?

Cheers, John

Santa Claus
    Your very knowlegeabe.Have a nice day

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jneutron
    You guys crack me up...

Line cords making a difference, what a joke..

Now for a healthy dose of reality..

As long as youze guys buy the crapola designed audio equipment that is on the market, your gonna have this problem.

Your line cords spray the supply haversines all over creation in the form of helically formed dipole magnetic fields, your amplifiers do NOTHING (I'll repeat)...NOTHING at all to prevent this, nor the internal chassis fields resulting from the line haversines, the secondary haversines, the secondary high slew rate audio currents (a result of forcing a low impedance output), the wall outlets FORCE the coupling geometry between the magnetic dipole and the ground loop (where do you think your amplifier is deriving it's input reference from????.

And all along, not a damn thing is being done to TEST your amplifiers to ground current sensitivity..

Where in hell do you think ground loop hum comes from????

Shielding the PC doesn't do a thing. Ferrites change the coupling constants, twist pitch of the PC affects it, PC insulation thickness affects it, ground loop resistance affects is, IC shield resistance affects it...connector resistance affects it..

In other words, while all you guys argue back and forth about cables do this, cables don't do that, yada yada..nobody's addressing the real issue...

Your systems are designed like crap.

Sorry..there's no other way to put it.

I've explained the relationships, drawn pictures, taken pictures...

Years now..and yet, you still have the problems..

No standards...how does one improve the technology without standards of test???

Cheers, John.

PS...cooooll..I actually ranted...
    Hi John. It's been a long time. Seems you are doing well. Me too.

I really don't understand any of this. However, I'm currious as to whether balanced IC cables and differential inputs are attempts to address what you are describing, or are we talking apples and coconuts? The manual for my Parasound JC-1 mono amps - designed by your favorite and mine, John Curl - says the following:

Unbalanced connections with RCA jacks are found on all home audio equipment. RCA jacks and two conductor wires are less costly than the additional circuitry, higher priced XLR connectors and three conductor wiring required for balanced connections.

In an unbalanced line, the positive audio signal appears at the center pin of the RCA jack and the negative signal on the outer shield wire, which also functions as the grounds connection. Unbalanced interconnects cables are vulnerable to hum from an AC line, or other noise such as RF (Radio Frequency) which can be reproduced through your loudspeakers. Since the unbalanced line's ground also carries the audio signal, there is no way for the connected amplifier or preamplifier to distinguish between the audio signals you want and unwanted noise emanating from external sources.

Balanced lines are superior because they utilize separate conductors for audio and ground: two inner signal, carry the positive and negative audio signal, and a third outer wire connects the grounds and also shields the two signal conductors. When the positive and negative signals appear at the component receiving the signal they are equal, but 180 degrees out of phase with each other with respect to ground. To send and receive balanced signals requires special differential circuitry.

A differential input circuit amplifies only the difference between the positive and negative signals. For example, when a 1 Volt signal arrives at a balanced input stage, the differential input “sees” a 1 Volt minus a negative 1 Volt, or 2 Volts total. External hum and noise that somehow gets into a balanced line is common to both its positive and negative conductors with respect to ground. Therefore, it is canceled or rejected by the differential input circuit.
    Any thoughts. And please don't have too much fun laughing at my ignorance.

Forum Regular
    Your very knowlegeabe.Have a nice day
    Color me confused.

Guess I fell hook line and sinker, eh??

T'would appear that gullibility is also present in large quantities, no??

Cheers, John
    Last edited by jneutron; 04-21-2006 at 05:16 AM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pctower
    Hi John. It's been a long time. Seems you are doing well. Me too..
    Hey hey friend..It has indeed been a long time.

Long term employment is a concern, but otherwise doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by pctower
    Any thoughts. And please don't have too much fun laughing at my ignorance.
    Never have, never will. After all, this electronic stuff is just goop anyway. As long as it works when the key is turned, I don't care what's under the hood.

The writeup is quite accurate. The balanced setup does get rid of a lot of garbage that unbalanced can pickup.

But balanced does have susceptibility to ground currents in a way that is not normally considered. Better, but still not good enough. When standards for amp susceptibility are established for input ground currents, most of this PC cord causing changes will go away. Till then, it's like using a scattergun in the dark.

Cheers, John

Quote Originally Posted by jneutron
    When standards for amp susceptibility are established for input ground currents, most of this PC cord causing changes will go away. Till then, it's like using a scattergun in the dark.
    That's where no-risk home auditions come into play. I had the chance to listen to my choices before I purchased them.

rw

Santa Claus

You answered my reply.My intention is not to get in an ego game with you.Oh yeah,I think i'm really funny.Can't stop thinking about it,Ha HA. was up all night.Look move on, it is what it is.

Forum Regular
    You answered my reply.My intention is not to get in an ego game with you.Oh yeah,I think i'm really funny.Can't stop thinking about it,Ha HA. was up all night.Look move on, it is what it is.
    I am still confused.

What ego game??

What is what it is???

Did you actually have an incident as you stated? Or, was you post simply pointing out that there is life outside the web?

If you had the incident, I asked questions to determine what the conditions were surrounding it.

If you didn't have it, then I was caught hook line and sinker, you pulled a fast one and I fell for it..

In either case, there is no ego involved..So, this is why I am confused..

Cheers, John

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information