15 gauge vs. 20 feet

Will these fair okay with a 3 grand system, at 20 feet per run? (I do like the fact that they are flat)

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...uct_Id=185983#

They are about 3$ per meter
    Thanks

Dean
    a twenty foot run of 15 gauge may be a little long and cause your amp to work a little harder than something with a larger single core conductor.

Unfortunately the larger the gauge the heavier the cord and less manageable they become in some systems due to their size, weight etc.

Best of luck in your search.

Thanks. I've actually opted for some 11 gauge Ixos flat cable. Runs are 24 feet but with that gauge it should be alright!

At 11 guage you'll be ok for a 24ft run, but acccording to commonly accepted audiophile lore, its not the prime choice if it can be avoided. An approach that is in keeping with best practices is to use longer interconnects rather than longer speaker cables. Have you considered putting your amp centered between your speakers? You would basically run your 20ft interconnect pair from the preamp/source located off to the side. This way you could keep you speaker wires down to about 6-8ft. Interconnects are far less prone to losses or distortion over long runs than speaker cables, this according to many scientific authorities in the subject - of which I am not one.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Interconnects are far less prone to losses or distortion over long runs than speaker cables, this according to many scientific authorities in the subject - of which I am not one.

IMO the opposite might be scientifically more correct

Theoretically, cables such as IC that have high impedance loads (RCA input/output) are more prone to noise and interference than cables that have low impedance loads (speaker). So it better to have longer speaker cable and shorter IC than the other way around.

Also it recommended to keep IC cable capacitance as low as possible-as if it is too excessive due to long runs, it will attenuate higher frequency carried by IC.

But I agree with you as to keep both IC and speaker cables as short as possible.
    Last edited by Smokey; 02-12-2008 at 05:31 PM.

I sense a new (but old) debate rising. Whatever it is, I'm blown away by my new system More on it later when I have the stands.

PS: No my room setup does not allow me to place my integrate between the speakers. That's why my runs are relatively long.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I sense a new (but old) debate rising.
    Nah, it is just a friendly get together

Glad everything worked out for you.

Everything sure is. At least so far I'll give details once I receive the stands

Thread Information