Forum Regular

What are Transducers and are they any good?

Guys,

I saw some odd-looking, ribbon like things when I was shopping for a mid range speaker on eBay. I learned they are called "transducers" which behave just like a speaker, I suppose?

Could anyone explain to be what exactly are these and are they any good to be used as an add-on to my existing DIY speaker?

The one I saw has a frequency response of 150hz -18,500hz

Suspended
    A transducer, in this context, is simply a driver/speaker. A transducer in general is something which converts one type of energy to another. For a speaker it's changing electrical energy (signal) into mechanical energy (moving the speaker cone, ribbon, panel).

The ribbon you mention has the range to be used as a tweeter. It has enough range you could use it in any system including a 2-way since it goes low enough. Ribbons are reported to have more "air" in the top end. I would probably rate them between metal-dome and electrostatic/planar panels for transparency and detail, but that's subject to opinion. They tend to be more expensive than domes.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    A transducer, in this context, is simply a driver/speaker. A transducer in general is something which converts one type of energy to another. For a speaker it's changing electrical energy (signal) into mechanical energy (moving the speaker cone, ribbon, panel).

The ribbon you mention has the range to be used as a tweeter. It has enough range you could use it in any system including a 2-way since it goes low enough. Ribbons are reported to have more "air" in the top end. I would probably rate them between metal-dome and electrostatic/planar panels for transparency and detail, but that's subject to opinion. They tend to be more expensive than domes.
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelgz
    I learned they are called "transducers" which behave just like a speaker, I suppose?
    Just for reference, microphones and phono cartridges are also transducers.

rw

Then there are also transjuicers, which are fruit/veg juicing machines for cross-dressers.
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Then there are also transjuicers, which are fruit/veg juicing machines for cross-dressers.
    So, I can't get a fresh OJ unless I put on my wife's panties?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    So, I can't get a fresh OJ unless I put on my wife's panties?
    If they're too tight it will most certainly squeeze your grapes and then we'll be talking transgender here!

Its long well-known to industry insiders that there are some audio do-it-yourselfers in West Hollywood CA who prefer to use trannies rather than vagistors. And its little surprise that the transjuicer has sold extremely well in this demographic.
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

Thread Information