Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Any updates on a center channel for the Ar.com DIY's?

It's been a few months since this came up...I've contacted Ed Frias and I'm ready to order the BIC America center channel to go with my AR.com DIY's, but I'm just wondering if anyone's finalized a MTM style center channel with one crossover using the matching Peerless drivers? There were a few people with working models awhile back...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    ....., but I'm just wondering if anyone's finalized a MTM style center channel with one crossover using the matching Peerless drivers? There were a few people with working models awhile back...
    Are you referring to MCH's AR.com DIY centre? If so, he said he doubled the woofer circuit in adding the extra 850122. I don't believe it is as simple as this though as overall impedance will change (changing the xover behaviour) and you'd need to remove a bit of padding on the tweeter since the 2 woofers in parallel will net a 3dB+ in efficiency.

There was also talk somewhere of an 850123 (yes a 123 model) - which is apparently a shielded version of the 850122. I think T/S specs were similar / the same so it could well probably be used as a substitute if you can source it. A Canadian distributor was referred to. I can't find it on the d-s-t site anywhere.

Cheers,
    David.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hi, Dave...
    Yes I've heard about Solen's shielded Woofer... MCH's center channel actually had 2 crossovers as I recall and had to run 4 speaker wires from his amplifier...I was sort of hoping some genius had perfected a design that I could steal before buying the center from Ed, but I'm quite prepared to go with Plan B of refinishing the bland looking BIC America center channel.

I've got a few other projects that have been tied up for 3 months now that I have to get back to before I go trying to design a center myself...

Serves me right for trying to get something for nothing.

BTW, did you ever get around to refinishing your towers?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hi, Dave...
    ....BTW, did you ever get around to refinishing your towers?
    No I haven't. I'm actually now refurbishing a pair of old Philips speakers. I bought some cheapo Response drivers locally to replace the woofers whose surrounds had deteriorated. I've done it more for experimentation.Since the philips drivers had no woofer xover, I now have a nasty breakup approx 1k - 3k which I want to measure, model a trap and tame....

I am also going to set myself up for some basic measuring. I'm going to get a mic pre-amp kit and electret mic shortly so I can measure the Response drivers and start to upskill myself on x-over design. I've borrowed Dickason's LDC for a read.

As far as the AR.com DIYs - I'm still getting used to them and A/Bing with my old speakers to see what I like / dislike. I'm also going to change placement in the room to see how that affects them. So far I've been reasonably happy with them - esp. for the price. With more listening and optimising listening position / placement, I'll put up a review in a couple of months.

Cheers,
    David.

Thread Information