Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Speaker kit.

  1. #1
    Do What? jrhymeammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,275

    Speaker kit.

    So, I dont know anything about building speakers, but this site has got me real curious. I hope to build speakers in my future retirement as a hobby, that's if I'll be able to afford sitting around. So, my first step to this upcoming hobby, I probably need to start with something that is extremely easy. I was wondering if this is a decent start. http://www.mavin.com/index.php?crn=2...on=show_detail
    I will probably use Kimber Kable KWIK 12 I got laying around for internal wiring.

    This company can be a shaddy, how can I check their company info.
    At this price, I figured disappointment will not be great, if at all.
    Does anyone have any other option I can exercise? I was thinking something that are under $100.

    Thanks,
    -JRA

  2. #2
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Speaker kits under $100 are usually rare. Most DIY-ers already have owned decent speakers and don't want to build a kit that will sound worse than what they already have, so usually you have to spend a bit more to outperforma commercial offering.

    I'd avoid this kit like herpes. It doesn't even have a crossover, has a rather cheap looking cabinet, and uses pretty cheap drivers. If they're making money on this speaker kit, that's a good indication this stuff is just too cheap to be worthwhile. The terminal is a good 30 cents, and I bet the tweeter isn't much more. There's much better budget speakers you can build without a huge cabinet later on once you get some experience.

    The best starter kit I've heard with cabinets is still the BR-1 Kit from parts express for about $140.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-640

    It's a real speaker kit, with crossover components, good cabinet, and instructions. I've personally compared it side by side with $400-$500 Boston Acoustics and Paradigm bookshelf models, and it's at least as good those. And it'll wipe the floor with this cheap kit. If you're going to do this, do it right. You'll want a product you're happy to listen to when you're finished with it. Not something that just sits in the back of your garage somewhere.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular Florian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,959
    There are kits from Audio Note UK that you can build for a let less money that they charge for the glue which hold them.

    ***- Sorry RGA, but i just couldnt hold myself back. Forgive me.....



    To the original poster:\ Are there some Magazines in your area for the DIY Audio Fan? I know a few here in germany, and they have good instructions and blueprints too.

    Good luck!
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

  4. #4
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Regardless ...

    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    So, I dont know anything about building speakers, but this site has got me real curious. I hope to build speakers in my future retirement as a hobby, that's if I'll be able to afford sitting around. So, my first step to this upcoming hobby, I probably need to start with something that is extremely easy. I was wondering if this is a decent start. http://www.mavin.com/index.php?crn=2...on=show_detail
    I will probably use Kimber Kable KWIK 12 I got laying around for internal wiring.

    This company can be a shaddy, how can I check their company info.
    At this price, I figured disappointment will not be great, if at all.
    Does anyone have any other option I can exercise? I was thinking something that are under $100.

    Thanks,
    -JRA
    Regardless of the business integrity of Mavin, you just aren't going to get a decent pair of 2-way tower speakers for 50 bucks.

  5. #5
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    There are kits from Audio Note UK that you can build for a let less money that they charge for the glue which hold them.

    ***- Sorry RGA, but i just couldnt hold myself back. Forgive me.....
    To be fair to RGA (who I've had my share of battles with), the only kits I know of aren't that bad. The Birch Ply alone costs a good chunk of coin, the Foster/Seas combo of drivers are respectable, and they use quality (IMO excessively expensive) crossover components.

    I think one could do better designing their own, but for kits that offer the "Audio Note sound (if that's what you're into), they aren't bad.

    As Flo suggested magazines aren't a bad source either - in the USA and Canada today though, the internet has pretty much stolen DIY Magazine's business, so I'm not aware of any, but maybe you could find some. NorthCreek Music Systems, Parts Express, Madisound, are good places too look for kits if you can't build cabinets yourself. If you can, the door opens to far better possibilities.

  6. #6
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Build an Audio Note kit???

    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    To be fair to RGA (who I've had my share of battles with), the only kits I know of aren't that bad. The Birch Ply alone costs a good chunk of coin, the Foster/Seas combo of drivers are respectable, and they use quality (IMO excessively expensive) crossover components.

    I think one could do better designing their own, but for kits that offer the "Audio Note sound (if that's what you're into), they aren't bad.
    ...
    Since AN designs rely on cabinet resonances, how can a kit builder be assured that they can duplicate the effect? Seems to me that there are too many variables.

  7. #7
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Since AN designs rely on cabinet resonances, how can a kit builder be assured that they can duplicate the effect? Seems to me that there are too many variables.
    The only kits I've seen offered come pre-cut with pre-approved grades of plywood. You just put it together.
    Personally, I think they're a bit overpriced and I'm not a big fan of AN like RGA, but if you wanted to own an AN speaker, from what I'm told they're a step up from the AN AN K's or AN J's, an d close to the basic AN E.... for the money they beat paying retail or even used prices, IMO.

    Not something I'd recommend to the aspiring DIY-er, but the price isn't horrible compared to a lot of speakers out there...that's all.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    96
    If you're going to build a speaker kit use these resources http://www.zalytron.com/ and http://www.madisound.com/ .
    Outlaw Audio: Model 990 Preamp/Processor
    Outlaw Audio: Model 7500 5-channel Balanced Amplifier
    SEAS: Excel Thor Main Speakers
    SEAS: Excel Froy Mk3 Center Speaker
    SEAS: Excel Odin Mk3 Surround Speakers

  9. #9
    Do What? jrhymeammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,275
    Very cool stuff, thanks much. I bet Mavin kit is as useful and satisfying as 1 piece jigsaw puzzle. I'm not looking to replace my current speakers, but probably wanna listen to them more than once. I should do alot more reaserch beginng with info you guys provided. Seems like cabinet to driver manufacture ratio is about 1:50. I may be better off looking for a shop that will allow people to use tools. That way I can build 2.5 way floorstander. Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular givendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lenswood, South Australia
    Posts
    25

    If the exchange rate is good...


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •