Thread: RS28-RS150 Done

RS28-RS150 Done

I polished off the xover last night and measured them on-axis, left 15 off-axis, and right 15 off-axis. This speaker has the flattest FR of any of my designs to date. They sound very nice. I used the same box as the RS150+MDT20 (7 liters). Just an excellent speaker. I also finsihed up my daedalus writeup and put it on my page.

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=248407
    http://home.stx.rr.com/poneal/

Enjoy. I should have a writeup on this guy done in the next week or so. Paul.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Sounds great...any parts cost total? How would you compare the MDT-20 to the RS28? Is the RS28 worth the extra pricetag?
    Most of the folks outside of PE's forums tend to lean towards the Seas tweeters as sounding better for cheaper. Problem is with shipping costs from Madisound or wherever, any price advantage is eaten up pretty quick.

Good morning Ken,

I thrown so many parts at this bad boy I would actually have to add them all up to see what the final xover costs. The tweeter has a lot of components but they are inexpensive ones. The inductors are so small they only cost a few bucks each. The largest cap is only about 4$ IIRC. The 14ga on the woofer is actually a typo. It should be 18ga as I had those lying around and didn't really see that much difference between that and the 15ga I ordered. Even on the woofer the parts are small so the cost is not really to high. I used the 10watt wire wound resistors and noticed no difference at all in SQ. These are cheaper than the Dayton specials at around 0.30 cents a piece and seem to be built very well.

I can't really make a decision for ya on the tweeter thing. The RS28 definitely has a different sound than the Morel I was so used to. It really does match the tonality of the RS series better IMO. For $13 + shipping I really don't know if it will make a night and day difference over the 27TDFC. I guess I would say that the all metal version definitely will deliver crap from a crappy recording. Believe me I know from testing. But on good to well recorded CD/DVDs I was just blown away. Very nice detail. I can say one thing for sure. I like the RS150 better than the RS125. I don't really know why because they should sound the same but I think the 150 sounds better. Maybe its a size thing or for that matter a mental thing. I can honestly say this is the flattest speaker I've designed to date. I've learned a few new tricks in measuring, combining, and Minimum phase aspects. Have a good one! Paul

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    You're not the first to tell me the larger RS drivers sound better. I've heard the same thing about the RS180 being a bit better thanthe RS150 as well. Weird. I really wish I had the time to do something myself with these drivers. I've spent most of my spare time building other people's designs for friends and family the past few months.

Maybe I'll talk one into using the RS drivers, I need a guinea pig for Cryolite-like design I've been thinking about.

$207.60 for a pair including drivers and parts

This does not include wood, paint, etc.

The Collector
    they look great if i only had time to build speakers

Forum Regular
    I used the rs150s in this speaker with a TB tweeter. After all the work I put into this Bondo baby I was a bit hesitant about using a <$30 driver but so far I'm pleased.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RS28-RS150 Done-fourpix-copysmall.jpg  

That's very unique

and I like the curves. I sure you spent a lot of time putting those together. Very nice looking, congrats. Paul.

Thread Information