Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Just bought a T-amp

That's right, I splurged on a $30 amp!

This amp is for a computer sound system that I'm putting together. Right now I've got a set of the flat panel computer speakers that Von Schweikert was selling a while back. Really interesting drivers, but the bass modual was pretty lame, and the amp that was in it was not top quality either.

I intend to mod this T-Amp with a quality pot, and a set of real RCA inputs. This is going to be my first foray into modding an amp so if any AR members haven done something like this, or can point me in the right direction, I'l be more than grateful.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    This looks like a very interesting project, Mr. Moderator.

My son has a laptop. I've been thinking about an external speaker package (either powered or with an external amp) for the dorm room when he goes off to college. I'm not the diy type, but if the stock T-amp can be used for this purpose, it sure looks like a bargain.

I'm sure it can.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    This looks like a very interesting project, Mr. Moderator.

My son has a laptop. I've been thinking about an external speaker package (either powered or with an external amp) for the dorm room when he goes off to college. I'm not the diy type, but if the stock T-amp can be used for this purpose, it sure looks like a bargain.
    But most kids who go away to school are going to want something that will rock a bit harder. Something like my Cambridge Soundworks 210D would be a better bet for a dorm room. I've got four computers at home, so there's always at least one computer sound system that I'm playing with.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Thanks for the recommendation. I checked the website and it looks like Cambridge SW is up to model 211.

BTW, I looked for that penguin-looking package on the Von Schweikert website recently and it appears to be gone. I think I'll see if Acoustic Energy has a follow-up to its Aego 2 package that received lots of good press a while back.

The CSW really smokes as a laptop 2.1.

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked the website and it looks like Cambridge SW is up to model 211 .
    In addition to a laptop, (and my desktop where it currently resides), I've also had it hooked up to a little cheap CD clock radio. It sounded pretty good even with that cheapo source.

BTW, I looked for that penguin-looking package on the Von Schweikert website recently and it appears to be gone. I think I'll see if Acoustic Energy has a follow-up to its Aego 2 package that received lots of good press a while back.
    Yup, I got those penguins. VS ran out of them ages ago, I think this was a one off from some Japanese company so they can produce the drivers in quantity. The flat panel drivers is pretty decent, but the bass modual isn't. My idea is to toss the bass modual and power the sats with the tripath amp. I'll keep the self powered sub from the CSW 210D, but I don't want to use the 60wpc L/R output of it's amp to power these VS sats, as they are a 5 watt max. driver.

I don't know anything about Acoustic Energy or the Aego 2. Sounds interesting though....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Thread Information