Forum Regular

Question Dayton 15" Quatro vs. Titanic MKIII

I would like to build a 15" subwoofer for my home theater system and I've seen a lot of recommendations on this board regarding the Dayton Quatro driver. At more than double the price, what advantages does the Titanic MKIII offer over its less expensive sibling? I have a very large and open room that I'll be using the sub in, and my usage ratio is about 50% HDTV/DVD, 30% xbox, 20% music. Which sub do the experts recommend?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The Titanic's advantages are maximum output (SPL) and a few hertz of extension...But the Quatro will play absurdly loud, so for most people, that's enough. If it's not, get 2 Quatro's and never look back.

General consensus is the Quatro actually sounds much better. It has lower xmax, but plays tighter and cleaner.

I built the 12" Titanic for my parents, the 15" Quatro for myself...one heckuva sub!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    The Titanic's advantages are maximum output (SPL) and a few hertz of extension...But the Quatro will play absurdly loud, so for most people, that's enough. If it's not, get 2 Quatro's and never look back.

General consensus is the Quatro actually sounds much better. It has lower xmax, but plays tighter and cleaner.

I built the 12" Titanic for my parents, the 15" Quatro for myself...one heckuva sub!
    Kex,

I thought the 15" Quatro was a car sub. Am I mistaken?
    Won't it want the base reinforcement that a closed car area would give it?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

The Quatro is suited for both home and car applications...(many subs are)....the 15" sub has a resonance frequency of 21 Hz in free air...lower depending on cabinet size. No cabin gain required at all..

Hmmm... maybe 2 Quatros would be better than one MKIII.

More to ponder.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Unless SPL is what you're after, then I wouldn't spend the money. Not only does the Quatro sound better, it's far less money - especially when you consider the few hundred bucks you save on amplification.

My sub will bring my large room well over 100 dB...I've got the 2nd woofer, just need to build a box, but I have to admit, that's more for a stereo experiment than out of necessity.

I think the new Reference drivers would be something to consider too if you prefer a smaller cabinet.

Forum Regular
    I've got two of the Reference drivers sitting in my dining room...

I had the prototype sub running last weekend. (10.00 HiFi model) It is a flat-out excellent driver. The clarity and detail is outstanding, not just boom and rumble. I had never heard a sub sound so good. Highly recommended.

jocko

Still more to ponder.

I'd like to get down to 20 or 22 htz. The EQ is a nice touch on the MKII also.

hhhmmmmm....................

I have two of the Legacy LW129X 12" 700 Watt Woofers. How do you think these would work for a couple of home subs? Maybe a good amp and a little MDF would do the trick. What amp do you think would do well? No EQ though?

New Design Blue Injection-Molded P.P. Cone
    Black Rubber Surround
    Chrome Finished Basket with Vent for High Performance
    Bumped & Vented Yoke Plate for Extended Excursion
    Silver Plated Terminal
    Rubber Magnet Boot for Better Protection
    2'' High Temperature Kapton Polyamide Voice Coil
    80 oz. Heavy Magnet Structure
    350W RMS/700W Peak
    Frequency Response: 25Hz-1KHz
    SPL (1W/1M): 88dB
    4 Ohm Impedance
    Overall Diameter: 11.57''
    Mounting Depth: 4.96''

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/m...29X/detail.asp

The Eq on the PE plate amps is very limited. It attacks only one frequency band. For the money you save, you could easily buy a BFD, that would allow you to use a dozen or so (more than you'll ever need) filters.

Do your Legacy woofers have available T/S parameters?

The Eq on the PE plate amps is very limited. It attacks only one frequency band. For the money you save, you could easily buy a BFD, that would allow you to use a dozen or so (more than you'll ever need) filters.

Do your Legacy woofers have available T/S parameters?
    T/S parameters?

These?
    SPL @ 1W/1M 89 dB
    FS (HZ) 33
    QMS 2.68
    QES 0.90
    VAS (cu ft) 2.730

Yeah, that's some of them, do you have DC resistance? (sometimes called DCR or Re), Le, and xmax, or p-p excursion would be nice too (usually measured in mm).

I'll see if we can't model you a box to stick'em in....

I haven't found the other measurements on-line yet. But I do have a site at home that let me calculate the others needed when I put these into boxes. I didn't like how they sounded and they haven't been used more than a few hours. Not the fault of the sub drivers though. The piezo tweeters I used are like insect repellant. They made the neighbor's dogs go crazy. Maybe break-in time would help but I bought the Infinity's and never looked back.
    It would be nice if I could put the drivers to good use.

Ah ha! I dug up the website I used. Now I just need to find the right page.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad1.htm#ported

Found the page I used. Came up with these numbers. But had to queas at the QTC.

fs - 33htz
    qms - 2.68
    qes - 0.90
    vas - 2.73
    qts - .674

used .707 in the calculation because I didn't have the correct number.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad2.htm

How about the Dayton Reference sub drivers?

The Quatro is suited for both home and car applications...(many subs are)....the 15" sub has a resonance frequency of 21 Hz in free air...lower depending on cabinet size. No cabin gain required at all..
    My HT subwoofer die, (hey, it was a Quest so that was just as well). Possibly I'll move my PSB Subsonic 6 down to the HT and replace my stereo system's sub.

I was thinking in terms of building a pair of sealed-box subs using DAYTON RSS265HF-4 10" HIGH FIDELITY drivers. I'd power them using my old Phase Linear 400 behind a Behringer crossover.
    Cool?

By all accounts those are some great drivers. I'm 2 feet into the Quatro 15's at this point...the nice thing about the Reference woofers is the performance in a small package they offer. I haven't demo'd one next to a Quatro, I think they'll sound a bit better though, possibly sacrificing some tightness for better distortion. But we're comparing a 15" to a 10" though so you can't complain at all. For many people, with room limitations, I see the Reference subs as the best alternative (as I mentioned above).

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Found the page I used. Came up with these numbers. But had to queas at the QTC.

fs - 33htz
    qms - 2.68
    qes - 0.90
    vas - 2.73
    qts - .674

used .707 in the calculation because I didn't have the correct number.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad2.htm
    There's no question you could use these, I'm just can't tell you how good they'll sound. I'd hate to get you to invest your time only to find out these should be left in a trunk.

Wish I knew the excursion, that'd tell me a bit more about the "true" power handling of these things, too. Car audio specs make Sony's HT specs look like KPMG audits. Nature of the biz...doesn't mean they aren't decent woofers though. I bought a few of those $30-$40 Infinity 12" car woofers and stuffed them into small ported boxes for some kids up the street. Added a bit of punch to the small Pioneer/onkyo buyout speakers I made for them. Not ideal, but they sure looked cool and it got my lawn mowed for a few months.

There's no question you could use these, I'm just can't tell you how good they'll sound. I'd hate to get you to invest your time only to find out these should be left in a trunk.

Wish I knew the excursion, that'd tell me a bit more about the "true" power handling of these things, too. Car audio specs make Sony's HT specs look like KPMG audits. Nature of the biz...doesn't mean they aren't decent woofers though. I bought a few of those $30-$40 Infinity 12" car woofers and stuffed them into small ported boxes for some kids up the street. Added a bit of punch to the small Pioneer/onkyo buyout speakers I made for them. Not ideal, but they sure looked cool and it got my lawn mowed for a few months.
    Maybe I'll just leave them in the boxes they are already in. I will need something in the basement when we move in. Think I'll pull the piezo's and clip their wings though. Talk about bright! geez...

MKIII Dish rattling Bass

Quote Originally Posted by traut
    I would like to build a 15" subwoofer for my home theater system and I've seen a lot of recommendations on this board regarding the Dayton Quatro driver. At more than double the price, what advantages does the Titanic MKIII offer over its less expensive sibling? I have a very large and open room that I'll be using the sub in, and my usage ratio is about 50% HDTV/DVD, 30% xbox, 20% music. Which sub do the experts recommend?
    I just built this kit about a month ago:

Titanic MKIII
    And it will shake the dishes in the cabinets heck the whole house!
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular

What a Great Idea!

I was thinking in terms of building a pair of sealed-box subs using DAYTON RSS265HF-4 10" HIGH FIDELITY drivers. I'd power them using my old Phase Linear 400 behind a Behringer crossover...
    HA! Sounds like a great idea to me! Take a look at these:

That is exactly what I did. I had one up and running all weekend, they sound marvelous. I have them matched with a Peerless HDS midbass driver. Both drivers deliver very, very clean sound. I am very impressed with the Reference / Hi Fi driver. It is the choice for music. Shell out the $250.00 and get yourself a couple of them. You won't be disappointed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dayton 15" Quatro vs. Titanic MKIII-subs_1.jpg   Dayton 15" Quatro vs. Titanic MKIII-subs_2.jpg   Dayton 15" Quatro vs. Titanic MKIII-proto_1.jpg   Dayton 15" Quatro vs. Titanic MKIII-proto_2.jpg  

Thread Information