AR Newbie Registered Member

B&W DM600 Woofer Replacement Question

Hello:

I have a pair of B&W DM600s which my wife destroyed due to her limited knowledge of "clipping". So, as a quick fix, I put a couple of Radio Shack 6 1/2 inch woofers in them and they sound like crap (of course). Thanks to the plummeting US dollar, replacement woofers are about $100.00 each from B&W.

So, here's my question: what other alternative do I have for replacement woofers? Am I pretty much stuck with the B&W replacement parts due to the crossover and the tweeter combination? Are there decent drivers I could put in them to get good sound without spending $200.00?

Thanks,

B. Rose

Well since you already spend some money on the 602, they are quite decent. I would suggest reparing them 100%. I would replace them original parts.

-Florian
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

We have some great DIY guys that can point you where to go

Quote Originally Posted by cbrose
    Hello:

I have a pair of B&W DM600s which my wife destroyed due to her limited knowledge of "clipping". So, as a quick fix, I put a couple of Radio Shack 6 1/2 inch woofers in them and they sound like crap (of course). Thanks to the plummeting US dollar, replacement woofers are about $100.00 each from B&W.

So, here's my question: what other alternative do I have for replacement woofers? Am I pretty much stuck with the B&W replacement parts due to the crossover and the tweeter combination? Are there decent drivers I could put in them to get good sound without spending $200.00?

Thanks,

B. Rose
    That's why I'm posting this thread to the DIY forum.

From whay I've heard and seen, you should be able to replace those woofers for a lot less.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information