Thread: amps

Forum Regular

amps

um, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do headphone amps do for cans apart from jack up the volume? and can you run a pair of top of the range akg's or sennheisers or any other reference headphone straight out of an i pod? what would the repercussions be?
    I also am looking for a good open can which wont leak too much sound and will be forgiving to the few songs i have encoded in 128kbps mp3(through no fault of mine)!
    i listen mainly to jazz,classical,folk,retro, and classic rock.my budget is 500$.also, my ears heat up real quick, so they have to be light and real comfy. also, i want them circumaural and not one of them flat pad on - the - ear- cans.
    also, can an amp and a cable upgrade be really unforgiving to low bitrate music?
    is the akg k271s a good option for the above req's(i know its sealed, but this is one can that looks so sexy im willing to compromise).
    please advise, o great audio gurus!
    Last edited by armandkhambatta; 12-01-2005 at 03:27 AM.

Here's a page from a site you might want to explore...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    wo hey! easy dude! i never claimed to know anything about audio stuff. all i want is advice on a pair of headphones that will allow me to enjoy my music better. you dont have to go and juxtapose symantics to make me regress into a state of nullibicity at your inferior lingo. SLINKIES?
    yeeeesh!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by armandkhambatta
    wo hey! easy dude! i never claimed to know anything about audio stuff. all i want is advice on a pair of headphones that will allow me to enjoy my music better. you dont have to go and juxtapose symantics to make me regress into a state of nullibicity at your inferior lingo. SLINKIES?
    yeeeesh!
    ****! im so sorry. i didnt realise that was your signature! i thought it was directed at me.really sorry once again!
    and thanks a lot for even bothering to reply to an amature like me! nice of you!
    i visited that site, and while it was cool, it didnt really answer too many of my questions. if you could initiate correspondence by giving me ur email ad or replying on the forum i would be really greatfull. thanks!

Forum Regular
    yeeeesh!
    ****! im so sorry. i didnt realise that was your signature! i thought it was directed at me.really sorry once again!
    and thanks a lot for even bothering to reply to an amature like me! nice of you!
    i visited that site, and while it was cool, it didnt really answer too many of my questions. if you could initiate correspondence by giving me ur email ad or replying on the forum i would be really greatfull. thanks!

Exclamation

um, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do headphone amps do for cans apart from jack up the volume? and can you run a pair of top of the range akg's or sennheisers or any other reference headphone straight out of an i pod? what would the repercussions be?
    I also am looking for a good open can which wont leak too much sound and will be forgiving to the few songs i have encoded in 128kbps mp3(through no fault of mine)!
    i listen mainly to jazz,classical,folk,retro, and classic rock.my budget is 500$.also, my ears heat up real quick, so they have to be light and real comfy. also, i want them circumaural and not one of them flat pad on - the - ear- cans.
    also, can an amp and a cable upgrade be really unforgiving to low bitrate music?
    is the akg k271s a good option for the above req's(i know its sealed, but this is one can that looks so sexy im willing to compromise).
    please advise, o great audio gurus!
    Headphone amps can be much more tolerant of headphone impedance variations, along with other things, like driving multiple sets of cans, etc.

As for headphones, you probably want to stay fairly close to the impedance of the set supplied with the iPod. Going lower will cause the ouput to have to drive more current, which, if it is able to in the first place, could shorten your battery life. Go too high and you won't have enough drive available to make your music loud enough.

-Bruce

Forum Regular
    Thanks loads bruce!
    um, what, if i may ask would the impedance on the supplied earphones be?
    thanks once again!
    ps-i really liked them grado prestige series 80's. what do you think with ref to my req's?

Sometimes a little reading can provide more answers than you can realize.

ps-i really liked them grado prestige series 80's. what do you think with ref to my req's?
    Now, had you spent a few minutes exploring that web page I suplied you would have found this question was answered there.

hint... look for "Ipod"

Thanks loads bruce!
    um, what, if i may ask would the impedance on the supplied earphones be?
    thanks once again!

It took a while, but Apple lists the impedance as 32 ohms.

-Bruce

Forum Regular
    thanks so much dude! youre a saviour!

Thread Information