Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    You can probably go with either. As you say, if they aren't aligned they might help with standing waves. To what extent I'm not sure...

Can an egg have standing waves?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    You got that thing built yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    You got that thing built yet?
    Smarty pants!

Any ideas or commrnts? (jokes not withstanding)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    No, not really. Think you've got enough info to go ahead. If it doesn't work well, making a box is cheap and easy, so low-risk here. You've got far more patience than I do with the amount of cutting and sanding you're looking at. But pictures of this will spread all over the world, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I could use someone to hold my wood while I cut it.
    Your wife doesn't have issues with another dude holding your 'wood'?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Your wife doesn't have issues with another dude holding your 'wood'?
    Or having it cut.....

Or having it cut.....

At this point you might be too old to use it, I don't know? So having it cut might be some form of stimulation..

Anyways - I wanna see photos (of the egg)!

Forum Regular
    I agree with the extra bracing. It's not so much that you need it and would have to add it later, with the shape you have and the thick walls you don't really "need" bracing at all. But I would always do bracing as it's the most efficient way to get a stiff box. With bass it's all about stiffness and there is never too much.

There is no need to "break up sound waves." Design your bracing for maximum stiffness and you should be fine. With a sealed box, it's not so much what goes on inside the box, but what gets out. There are two ways to get out of the box:

1. Through vibrating the enclosure - this is what most worry about and it's important, but not as much as
    2. Re-radiating through the cone itself - this is controlled by the damping of the driver

The second is a much overlooked problem, described here:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/re-radiation.html

Consider this. You have very stiff and thick walls - 2" right? They will be as solid as you can make them. Now you have an 18" light weight cone that is designed to be compliant so that it can efficiently create bass. Which do you think provides the easier path for sound to get out of the box? Here we are not talking about transmission so much as the sound pressure waves from inside the box placing dynamic pressure on the cone, just like an active driver will cause passive radiators to move. It is the same except the active driver has an electric motor which resists interference. The driver Qts indicates the ability of the driver to reject this influence.

Quote Originally Posted by paulspencer
    I agree with the extra bracing. It's not so much that you need it and would have to add it later, with the shape you have and the thick walls you don't really "need" bracing at all. But I would always do bracing as it's the most efficient way to get a stiff box. With bass it's all about stiffness and there is never too much.

There is no need to "break up sound waves." Design your bracing for maximum stiffness and you should be fine. With a sealed box, it's not so much what goes on inside the box, but what gets out. There are two ways to get out of the box:

1. Through vibrating the enclosure - this is what most worry about and it's important, but not as much as
    2. Re-radiating through the cone itself - this is controlled by the damping of the driver

The second is a much overlooked problem, described here:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/re-radiation.html

Consider this. You have very stiff and thick walls - 2" right? They will be as solid as you can make them. Now you have an 18" light weight cone that is designed to be compliant so that it can efficiently create bass. Which do you think provides the easier path for sound to get out of the box? Here we are not talking about transmission so much as the sound pressure waves from inside the box placing dynamic pressure on the cone, just like an active driver will cause passive radiators to move. It is the same except the active driver has an electric motor which resists interference. The driver Qts indicates the ability of the driver to reject this influence.
    Thanks Paul. All great info.

I think the shape of the "box" in this case should help cut down on the re-radiating factor. What do you think there?
    I also plan on adding 2 inch Mineral Wool inside. The driver manufacturer suggests a half fill.

Thanks for the link. I guess all those curved speakers (IE:B&W) are not just for looks.

Here are the specs on the driving I will be using.

Fs: 17.4 Hz
    Le: 4.0mH
    Re: 3.8 Ohms (Voice Coils wired in series)
    Qms: 3.62
    Qes: .42
    Qts: 0.37
    Mms: 525g
    Cms: 0.16 mm/N
    Vas: 313L
    Sd: 1182 cm^2
    BL: 22.9
    X-max: 32mm
    Pmax: 1500W
    SPL: 87.8 db/1W/1M
    Last edited by GMichael; 05-07-2010 at 03:01 AM.

OK, I have been on vacation for a bit so I haven't been posting my progress here. On the bright side, I was able to get a bit done. Let's start it off with a pic of the scrap wood. What a frickin' mess. It's a good thing that honey was away for two weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-scrap.jpg  

Here are the good rings that will be put to work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-rings.jpg  

Inventory had to be taken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-inventory.jpg  

A view of some of the stuffing, and one of the braces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-stuff.jpg  

Half an egg is better than none?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-half.jpg  

Finally it's taking shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-start.jpg  

To give you an idea of the size, that's a Honda CRV behind it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-size.jpg  

But I left room for the binding posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-binding.jpg  

Another view of the bracing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-brace.jpg  

It looks good sanded down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-sanded.jpg  

After the primer, I stained it china red. It looks more orange than red to me. I put a coating of red oak after this but it hasn't dried yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg-china-red.jpg  

After the primer, I stained it china red. It looks more orange than red to me. I put a coating of red oak after this but it hasn't dried yet.
    Wow!! Very impressive, GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Wow!! Very impressive, GM.
    Thanks Feanor. I know that you are or have been a bit of a DIYer. I'm glad you like it.
    The base will end up black. I was thinking that with a 9&1/2 month old in the house, it's only a matter of time before something gets shoved under the driver. So I'm putting a netting like material around the base. It's made of a tough plastic so it should keep out the unwanted objects.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    GMichael I am impressed. Very nice work. Wow you can do other things with your hands, I mean besides holding your beautiful daughter. I am anxious to read your report on how it sounds.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I think you have created Modern Art for the Chicago Art Institute.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -egg%2520scrap.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information