• 09-12-2009, 04:25 PM
    budgetaudio76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    After further research, it seems Kevin from K&K audio designed both the Vinyl Reference and K&K phono stage. But the Maxxed-Out phono is priced at less than 1/2 of the Vinyl Reference. Of course the design isn't exactly the same, but it is starting to look more and more like my next big upgrade.

That is one serious phono stage....At some point i would like to upgrade to an outboard phono stage. financially speaking it isnt possible in the near future. Children tend to drain the finances.
  • 09-22-2009, 05:30 AM
    3db
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RGA
    Pretty much everyone upgrades their glass platter to Acrylic - even on Rega tables with glass like the P-3.

Heavy stores energy longer releasing it later smudging the sound - or as some turntable and speaker makers believe. My turntables is of the design that they want to get rid of energy as fast as possible and damping is not a good idea - that goes for their speakers and CD player designs. Slowly I see other makers gravitating to some of these approaches.

What TT are going this route? Can you give at least 5 exampples of different manufacturers? "Heavy stores energy longer releasing it later smudging the sound" is inaccurate. A heavy platter doesn't release any energy unless the forced used to turn the platter is removed. Once the energy is removed, the platters inertia maintains the speed long enough to keep the speed wobble in audable. Without a heavy platter, you would definately here more wow and flutter unless you have a servo mechansim with feed back. But with belt drives without servo, there is no other means of protecting against fluctuations