Audio Enthusiast

Vibration Isolation - Copying the big boys with my own DIY project

After reading the online article on the highly tauted $85k Walker Proscenium2 Turntable, I decided to mimic a few of their installation methods.

See the original article at
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...roscenium2.htm

I noticed their stand is much like the DIY flexy audio rack which is highlighted all over the internet as a DIY project. The Walker founders just use superior and more costly materials. I made mine from allthread and oak ply purchased from Home Depot.

One smaller detail I noticed is that they used a gel suspended platform positioned directly underneath the turntable to further isolate the plinth from vibration. They used Sorbotane cut into squares and positioned underneath this platform. I thought I could imitate that effort.

I used a wrist wrest available at any computer store for around $10. It consists of a gel like substance which is similar to the sorbotane material used in my oracle platter mat.

In similar fashion, I cut the wrist rest into little squares and then positioned them underneath another piece of oak ply. Then I positioned the turntable on top.

Did it make a difference? I can't objectively say yes.

My non-scientific evaluation--I took note of a perceived audible improvement manifesting itself as increased "smoothness" from vinyl LPs. I further noticed this same "smoothness" in CD recordings I've been making of my LP collection for the purpose of listening to my LPs in my car. The recordings I did before the suspended table seems to have that same harshness when compared to CDs made after the installation. I admit it's a subjective evaluation at best, but I did perceive similar findings when I played the resulting CDs in my car. It could be a figment of my imagination but this experiment only cost me $10 for the wrist rest and some spare oak plywood.

Anyways, I hope this little exercise helps someone else. Feedback appreciated. See pictures of my efforts below.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...y200/Projects/

-Les

good looking

nice work, I've wallmounted all my equipment (on a shelve of course, I didn't glue my equipment to the wall ) that also made a big difference, and actually, rumble is pretty much gone now...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

great work..

i've been comtemplating my own DIY ideas lately and I am in the process of finding someone who does metal work as I would like to make my own custom isolation feet for my Parasound D3 unit. Have you come across any DIY instructions for a project like that?

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    i've been comtemplating my own DIY ideas lately and I am in the process of finding someone who does metal work as I would like to make my own custom isolation feet for my Parasound D3 unit. Have you come across any DIY instructions for a project like that?

I have seen some DIY but they were very crude. Considering that there were lots of available solutions already pre-made and with low cost, it just didn't seem feasible to do it myself.

Just a quick search in Yahoo for "Isolation Feet" brings up several vendors in various price ranges. The least expensive was $3.19 each up to ~$35 each. I don't think i could machine anything that inexpensively myself.

Looks great and I agree about the cost of DIY stuff.

I've been thinking too long about a new TT platform/rack for way too long. Maybe I'll just get some cinder blocks and steal your wrist wrest idea instead. Since I keep my TT in a closet, I dont really care about the looks..

I have one question about your design. If you TT heavy enough to use 7 pieces of wrist wrest under a sheet of wood? It makes me think you dont have enough weight to keep it from wiggling cause by external vibration. I would appreciate your reply.

JRA

McMaster Carr has Sorbothane for fairly cheap. 1/8" thick 12" x 12" piece for $15 may not be enough, but wouldnt it make a great TT mat? They also sell in difference sizes. 4"x4"x 1/2" for $8 might be good enough.
    Last edited by jrhymeammo; 04-24-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Looks great and I agree about the cost of DIY stuff.

I've been thinking too long about a new TT platform/rack for way too long. Maybe I'll just get some cinder blocks and steal your wrist wrest idea instead. Since I keep my TT in a closet, I dont really care about the looks..

I have one question about your design. If you TT heavy enough to use 7 pieces of wrist wrest under a sheet of wood? It makes me think you dont have enough weight to keep it from wiggling cause by external vibration. I would appreciate your reply.

JRA

McMaster Carr has Sorbothane for fairly cheap. 1/8" thick 12" x 12" piece for $15 may not be enough, but wouldnt it make a great TT mat? They also sell in difference sizes. 4"x4"x 1/2" for $8 might be good enough.

I never thought to search McMaster (That's usually the first place I look for my DIY ideas)
    Increasing mass under the TT was an idea that I was contemplating. I noticed that the Walker engineers used something that looked like wood chopping block which is available unfinished in home improvement stores.

I've experimented with removing and rearranging some of the squares but I've not noticed any improvement in doing so.

Thread Information