Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RGA
    Forum Regular
    No that is Dave Cope - the threads I posted were replies to questions I asked. Dave Cope is a Rega owner/dealer and then became a dealer for Audio Note - then a distributor for Audio Note and now does marketing work - puts on the AN shows etc. He was warning me who he was before he answered my questions.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I have one from the 80s that I bought used, but it was originally purchased in the US. I believe they had a presence here with their turntables until the mid to late 80s, but pulled out of the US market around that time (probably with the rise of cds/cd players). My understanding is that Dual continued to make turntables for the German (and perhaps other) markets during the time of their absence from the US and recently re-entered the US market probably within the last 5 years. I have no idea whether their tables still maintain the build quality and workhorse reputation of their past.
    I have seen (but not heard) some newer Duals and think the build quality was a bit lacking. Of course I am comparing it to my 1019 which is built like a tank and almost as heavy. It looks like vinyl is starting to make a come back. I was in a record store yesterday and saw several new titles such as the latest Bob Dyan and Greenday release on vinyl. A good TT might start making it back into some people's systems so we might see more companies in the market making them.

3db
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Mr. P - don't really get what you're saying you imply that I'm not sincere - i own a P2 (NAD 533 is a P2 clone) and I have a better cart. The TT1 is far better than a P2 or P3. My dealer carries both and they say the same thing.

The link I posted is from a dealer selling both Rega and Audio Note. Floating designs in themselves can be very poor - SystemDekand now AN are not one of them.

http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/...003_an_tt1.pdf

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazin...udiophile4.htm

The Rega is fine but the OP said up to $1k and IMO this is a far superior deck and still around the budget.

All of the best turntables are suspended designs even from the makers who make both - so the comment is ridiculous - you may need to wall mount them and they may be fussy to set up but...

And if one wants style too then look at the Michel tables namely the Gyrodec SE http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk....html#tecnodec but he would have to buy this used for about $1k.

This is no knock on the budget Rega tables but if it were me I would want the best bang for my budget - and turntables have relatively high depreciation so it's wise to spend as much as possible on the table as one can - and upgrade later. The Rega even with the upgrades still isn't as good as the TT1 - although the pricing was off in my post the TT1 is above $1k in the U.S. and no arm and cart are included - but used is what I would be hunting for - something like a TT1 or Michel - The Michel a lot of the extra money is going to the sex looks but that is still a valid reason to buy - the TT1 is very dumpy looking in comparison - though considerably less money new and sounds at least as good.

I prefer the entry Pro-Ject tables to my Nad/Rega2 player and the Project is cheaper.
    My comment on float designs is ridiculous becuase all the best turntables are floating designs? Really? So you've basically dismissed my bad experience with one. That a boy RGA. Still running the course with blinders on I see. All the best turntables are not floating designs. A good portion are but not all.

3db
    Forum Regular

my dream turntable ..

http://www.oracle-audio.com/product_delphimkv.html

If I could afford it, my entire audio chain would be nothing but 100% Canadian design/built.

Suspended
    What Canadian amp would you use? I hope you aren't going to say Classe'. Bryston maybe. Sorry to hijack but the OP hasn't been back any way.

All I can say is if a table is better than my P3 it is one heck of a table. I know there is better, I'm just saying for what it costs it does a great job even compared to expensive CD players I've used from Krell or Audio Notes 1.1x. I really am still a novice at turntables because the P3 is my first "high end" table. But if any one told me before hearing it vinyl could sound that way I wouldn't have believed it. Hearing what my P3 did for my albums is probably the most eye opening audio experience I've had. Buying an Acoustech phono stage might have been overkill but I got a good deal on it and I figured with the Ph-1P I shouldn't need to upgrade if I decided to upgrade tables or cart. Although that's not really on my agenda. I'm pretty satisfied with the sound I get. I am planning to try a Dynavector cart next though. I like the Elys but I am interested to see what the Dynavectors sound like. One thing I like about the Elys the sound is natural. A lot of the mass market type tables I've had cymbals and some other instruments just didn't sound right even with an expensive cartridge.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    3db - having a bad experience with a floating design is hardly the fault of the floating design - what exactly was the turntable - a Linn a SystemDek? A Thorens?

A good floating design to my ear for less money trumps the non floating designs. And most of the best turntables are floating designs - at least from the makers who make both. They are less prone to vibration or can be if properly set-up.

My experience is not big either but I can say that a TT1(Turbo-charged SystemDek) blows the doors off what I've heard from Clearaudio, Roksan, Pro-Ject, Oracle (heck the repair guy at Soundhounds sold his top of the line Oracle for the TT2) and Rega.

Now I grant you - I'm the biased AN guy but my comments would also apply to Linn. Michel's is pretty darn cool too.

I would take a P3 over an entry AN DAC too - even the AN DAC's I like don't match good vinyl replay - The P3 certainly is good vinyl replay.

3db
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    What Canadian amp would you use? I hope you aren't going to say Classe'. Bryston maybe. Sorry to hijack but the OP hasn't been back any way.

All I can say is if a table is better than my P3 it is one heck of a table. I know there is better, I'm just saying for what it costs it does a great job even compared to expensive CD players I've used from Krell or Audio Notes 1.1x. I really am still a novice at turntables because the P3 is my first "high end" table. But if any one told me before hearing it vinyl could sound that way I wouldn't have believed it. Hearing what my P3 did for my albums is probably the most eye opening audio experience I've had. Buying an Acoustech phono stage might have been overkill but I got a good deal on it and I figured with the Ph-1P I shouldn't need to upgrade if I decided to upgrade tables or cart. Although that's not really on my agenda. I'm pretty satisfied with the sound I get. I am planning to try a Dynavector cart next though. I like the Elys but I am interested to see what the Dynavectors sound like. One thing I like about the Elys the sound is natural. A lot of the mass market type tables I've had cymbals and some other instruments just didn't sound right even with an expensive cartridge.
    Amps I would be looking at are Anthem, Bryston (They have teh best warranty in the business..20 years..nothing else in the industry even comes close to this), SimAudio, and NAD...well NAD is kind of international or at least started that way.

Your P3 is an amazing table and its something I wish I could afford. I'm happy with my ProJect Xpression II woth the Ortofon SM-20. I may move up higher but before I do, I'll try the stylus of the OM-40 first since its interchangeable with the cartridge. If I had the cash, I'd go for that Oracle Delphi. Its a beautiful machine and sonically, it kicks ass. I've heard a few in my lifetime and they are amazing. I would also by a CD player from Oracle as well.

Suspended
    Bryston would be my pick of the lot. Followed by Sim which I only know by rep. The NAD Master Series is good too but I don't feel it would match the slam and detail the Bryston could provide. Classe' builds a good product and I liked some of their older gear but the more recent stuff has a sound that just turns me off.

I haven't heard much about the Oracle CD players. I've always wanted to hear an Esoteric to see if they warrant those huge price tags.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    OP

Sorry I was trying to link the Hi-Fi Choice magazine review as I find What-Hi Fi magazine to be a bit of a fluff magazine. Hi-Fi Choice actually listen in level matched blind sessions with a panel of listeners - 10 to 20 people often the manufacturers themselves.

I'd recommend that magazine. As I recall Mitchel scored a 5 Star and the TT1 scored five stars (they're top marks the year I looked - which was about 5 years ago so....

Still i found the TT1 review but I can't find the Michel - a dealer may have a review copy

Audioconsult has the review copied http://www.audioconsult.dk/anmeldels...e%20TT%201.htm

Not that you should rely on reviews too much but it's the only thing to go to if you're unable to audition for yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information