Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Turntable Noob looking for enlightenment

Suspended
    TS, I saw a PM but didn't receive an email. If you still have questions on anything let me know.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    MR.P, RE:"hifiT, TS has the JBL 1400 Arrays, lightyears beyond the Elac and quite a different sound than Wilson. I say the Wilson is different but not necessarily better."

i rather wish i had heard the 1400 array but have not heard any of the newer JBL horn based systems. i still get the feeling that the wilson would satisfy my requirements better than the JBLs but that remains to be seen. i have heard the avant garde horns and am mightily impressed with newer horn technology.

a friend is trying to market a large format AMT design that crosses the AMT over at 500 Hz and that may be the best mids and top end i have heard (or not, MLs and Apogees etc are strong competition there).

ELACs are extremely impressive given the value factor which enters a different factor into the equation.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    MR.P, RE:"hifiT, TS has the JBL 1400 Arrays, lightyears beyond the Elac and quite a different sound than Wilson. I say the Wilson is different but not necessarily better."

i rather wish i had heard the 1400 array but have not heard any of the newer JBL horn based systems. i still get the feeling that the wilson would satisfy my requirements better than the JBLs but that remains to be seen. i have heard the avant garde horns and am mightily impressed with newer horn technology.

a friend is trying to market a large format AMT design that crosses the AMT over at 500 Hz and that may be the best mids and top end i have heard (or not, MLs and Apogees etc are strong competition there).

ELACs are extremely impressive given the value factor which enters a different factor into the equation.
    Tommy,

If you have an opportunity, you really need to give the the Array's a listen. The compression drivers are a completely different animal from traditional horn loaded designs and completely changed my attitude toward horns. I have listened to both Wilson WP7's and Sophia's at length and really enjoy the Wilson sound. Like Mr. P said, the JBL's are different. They have a "jump" factor in their dynamic presentation that I hadn't experienced before, a quality that the drummer/musician in me appreciates as the space in between the notes is every bit as important as the note itself. This gives them a exceedingly musical yet very transparent quality without the sterility inherent in some other designs. This is not to say they are better than every speaker, merely the ones in my admittedly shallow experience. If you've never experienced JBL's upper tier Synthesis speakers, you may find yourself as surprised as I was.

I have not heard the ELAC's yet, but they do seem to offer exceptional value from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    TS, I saw a PM but didn't receive an email. If you still have questions on anything let me know.
    Sent you a pm

topspeed--i will be at THE Show Newport 2016 and will look for the synthesis line of JBLs. of course there is MUCH more which i will be also trying to take in. there is always something important i miss.
    ...regards...tr

topspeed--i will be at THE Show Newport 2016 and will look for the synthesis line of JBLs. of course there is MUCH more which i will be also trying to take in. there is always something important i miss.
    I really wish I could go! Sounds like great fun, just bad timing with my kid's graduation from Jr. High and subsequent party this weekend. It's 106 here, so you can guess where I'd rather be.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed View Post
    I really wish I could go! Sounds like great fun, just bad timing with my kid's graduation from Jr. High and subsequent party this weekend. It's 106 here, so you can guess where I'd rather be.
    Where are you TS, Death Valley?
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

well, it's 92 in Victorville.
    ...regards...tr

Suspended
    TR, you may already know this, JBL is in the room with Levinson, the Harmon umbrella.

HAH, Levinson doesn't even own his own name.
    ...regards...tr

HAH, Levinson doesn't even own his own name.
    Whats that to do with anything now? And the reason he doesn't own his own name was totally his own fault.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Where are you TS, Death Valley?
    San Joaquin Valley, otherwise known as the place El Diablo visits when it's too balmy in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Whats that to do with anything now? And the reason he doesn't own his own name was totally his own fault.

well,not much frenchy and i get the fact WHY he sold his name. john curl fully understood my joke and likewise thought it was funny at THE Show Newport 2016.

topspeed....i got a listen to some JBL Synthesis($55k) and they were the smoothest JBLs i have EVER heard. very nice indeed,
    topspeed likes this.
    ...regards...tr

topspeed....i got a listen to some JBL Synthesis($55k) and they were the smoothest JBLs i have EVER heard. very nice indeed,
    Must have been the Everest with the cross firing 15's. Glad to hear you liked them. There were quite a few notables from the audio industry there, wish I could have gone. It must have been fun!
    hifitommy likes this.

it always IS fun at the newport show. rumor has is that the show will change hands this year so it will likely be a different name.

aside frome that, i am going to the rocky mtn show this oct.
    ...regards...tr

Suspended
    Bummer, I was supposed to go to RMAF this year but things aren't working out for me to go. I may skip Axpona next year and concentrate on making RMAF 2017.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information