Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I used the supplied overhang tool first and then tried an alignment graph I had which showed that the cart, if perfectly aligned with the headshell, was not perfectly aligned with the lines on the graph per the graph's instructions. I do have reservations about whether the graph I used is appropriate for the Technics. After I tinker a little more, I'll figure out which alignment is proper.

I'm saving your link for future reference. Thanks, Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I used the supplied overhang tool first and then tried an alignment graph I had which showed that the cart, if perfectly aligned with the headshell, was not perfectly aligned with the lines on the graph per the graph's instructions. I do have reservations about whether the graph I used is appropriate for the Technics. After I tinker a little more, I'll figure out which alignment is proper.

I'm saving your link for future reference. Thanks, Brandon.
    I tried the protractor that came with my Hi-Fi News test record and also the one that came with my Shure V15VxMR both yielded different results mostly a bloated bass with hardly any treble at all along with excessive record rumble.
    My the best results came from using the overhang tool with the cart squared nicely with the head shell brought everything together.
    Not sure why but my guess is that the protractors are not set up for an S shaped tonearm...just a guess on that one.
    And after a while you will become an expert at swapping the carts out with the tool.
    But I plan to get more headshells though just for fun so when I want to play the Shure V15VxMR its a snap to switch out or I can use the KAB PRO S-40 just depends o0n what mood I'm in.
    A cool thing about removable headshells.
    just keep trying you'll find the magic spot.
    Oh whats cool about the PRO S-40 no alignment needed.

http://www.kabusa.com/ortofon.htm#integrated
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I went back to the overhang tool that came with the Technics and spent a little time with it getting the feel of sliding the cart in the headshell. I think I've got it dialed in. I'm seriously digging the overall balance I'm getting now. I might play around with anti-skate and arm height tomorrow.

I don't think there's anything out there new that can compete with what you get for under $400 with the Technics SL-1210. No speed issues. Solid bass and drive. It's quieter than I expected. In fact, I haven't noticed any background noise. The presentation is very clean from top to bottom. The build quality is top notch. Now I'm planning to get an extra headshell and one of the Denon carts that most owners say works well with this table. I don't think my phono pre can handle the low output 103 so I may try the 160.

Congrats on the new Technics!!!

I still love mine. I don't think there's any beating it for the same money these days. Picked mine up for $399.00 and I haven't seen that price since. Congrats on the real nice deal you got!!!

Have also had the Jolida JD-9A around awhile and I'm still very pleased with that as well. Still liking the Groove Tubes Mullard copies in it. They seem to smooth out the frequency extremes a little compared to the stock tubes, while retaining a little extra richness in the mids.

The Technics overhang gauge can be tricky to use because of the distance between the stylus tip and the indicator... I've found it to be accurate though. Results match up with what my generic Baerwald protractor says.

I'm using a 103. There is some dropoff at the frequency extremes, but it always sounds pleasant as heck and reasonably detailed once I sit back and get to listening. Many people are saying the new AT 440MLa works well on the Technics. I have the older (non "a") model and think it sounds too thin. They say the newer model is a better. So far, I've been happy enough with the 103 to not try anything else in a similar price-range. I'm dreaming of a Benz Ace low output... like somebody else I know...
    Last edited by royphil345; 12-07-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Copngrats Dean,

Nice to hear you are enjoying your new gear. REGA kit sounds very interesting.

For DL160, if it sounds anything like 110, then I;m not sure how much you would enjoy it. DL-110 served as a great escape from Grado, but it is anything but neutral. I hate to say this right after you got your new toy, but perhaps the most logical upgrade will be a new phono stage capable of LOMC. Whest? Herron? Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    Benz Ace low output... like somebody else I know...

Ahhhhh.......man, I would like to get my hands on that Red little box. I think I'd go with a LO Glider though(retip costs the same as ACE).

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Copngrats Dean,

Nice to hear you are enjoying your new gear. REGA kit sounds very interesting.

For DL160, if it sounds anything like 110, then I;m not sure how much you would enjoy it. DL-110 served as a great escape from Grado, but it is anything but neutral. I hate to say this right after you got your new toy, but perhaps the most logical upgrade will be a new phono stage capable of LOMC. Whest? Herron? Hmmmm.....

I'm tending to agree. New phono stage is on the to-do list for early '08.

I picked up The Strokes' first album on vinyl and the UK cd import last week. The cd is ok for the car (I got it mainly for the the different cover and bonus dvd) but it's very "tizzy".

But the vinyl flat out ROCKS, especially on tracks 7, 8 & 9! The Technics adds that boogie factor to fun/party rock that I was missing with the Pro-Ject. Makes me wanna dance (when no one's looking).

Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    Congrats on the new Technics!!!

I still love mine. I don't think there's any beating it for the same money these days. Picked mine up for $399.00 and I haven't seen that price since. Congrats on the real nice deal you got!!!

Have also had the Jolida JD-9A around awhile and I'm still very pleased with that as well. Still liking the Groove Tubes Mullard copies in it. They seem to smooth out the frequency extremes a little compared to the stock tubes, while retaining a little extra richness in the mids.

The Technics overhang gauge can be tricky to use because of the distance between the stylus tip and the indicator... I've found it to be accurate though. Results match up with what my generic Baerwald protractor says.

I'm using a 103. There is some dropoff at the frequency extremes, but it always sounds pleasant as heck and reasonably detailed once I sit back and get to listening. Many people are saying the new AT 440MLa works well on the Technics. I have the older (non "a") model and think it sounds too thin. They say the newer model is a better. So far, I've been happy enough with the 103 to not try anything else in a similar price-range. I'm dreaming of a Benz Ace low output... like somebody else I know...
    Thanks, Roy. Any trouble with adjusting the Jolida for use with the 103? I've noticed that the Jolida's gain settings seem to be a little high (especially for MM) compared to what I see on average. Also, do you know whether the qc issues have been ironed out with the GT Mullards? Some sellers stopped carrying them because of poor quality, but users who were able to get good tubes (like yourself) have said great things about them.

The 103 and the Jolida seem like a perfect match. I'm really enjoying them. Load is set at 100 ohms, capacitance 150 PF. I'm using the highest gain setting. I haven't ever had my vinyl rig go this long without me changing something. Like I said... I wouldn't mind stepping up to something like a Benz Ace in the hopes of the frequency extremes sounding a little more open and effortless without losing that midrange "magic... but it's not bad at all the way things are. I've had cartridges that were more open sounding, but nothing that souded as musical and satisfying to me overall.

The gain specs for the Jolida are a little misleading because there are two sets of output jacks. One is recommended for passive preamps or hooking straight to an amp with level controls. This is probably the output with the crazy-high gain specs. There is also a set of reduced output jacks they recommend for use with standard preamps, receivers, etc... These are the outputs I'm using. They only list one set of gain specs. I'm sure they're for the stronger outputs. The gain does seem a touch higher than what I've gotten out of other phono stages, even when using the reduced outputs. It's helped me make some great vinyl to CD transfers with proper recording levels.

Yeah... I heard about the quality control problems with the 12AX7M... Mine sound fantastic. I tried several other new production tubes and some NOS Brimar. The Groove tubes came out on top in my system. I paid top dollar for mine from Upscale Audio. Perhaps it's because of their screening I'm not having problems... maybe I'm just lucky... I did notice the Groove Tubes Mullard copies are the only new production 12AX7s this dealer carries. They seem to know their stuff. The quality control problems were awhile back now. Perhaps things have been straightened out. I hope they still sound the same. I'm gonna' want some more eventually.

Cool

I have an sld-20 that was built in 1982, also a sl-b350, a belt drive built a little later.
    Both work like a charm, sound great too.
    Sound q aside you have to admit these things were built to last!
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Like Tommy, I owned a Kenwood KD500 but replaced it with a Micro Seiki BL91, a beautiful table with a rosewood deck and a massive platter and tonearm mounting plate. It is belt driven. The dynamics are better than what it replaced with more warmth to the bass and the ebb and flow of music is seamlessly luxuriant. I still use this but not as my primary table because my current phono pre doesn’t quite have enough amplification for the low output MC cartridge I use with this deck. My current table, also belt driven, is a Nottingham Horizon with which I use a Grado Sonata Reference. I can’t imagine ever going back to a direct drive. Good luck on this.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information