Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Turntable addition....

Direct freaking drive turntable, Technics SL-1200 mk2.

My curiousity for this deck grew more and more everytime DD vs BD discussion comes up. Yet, I have not heard anyone commenting on this with a Low Output Moving Coil cartridge. For that, I just had to try it out for myself as usual....
    Since I just picked up a brand new Denon DL-301mk2, which I'm very familiar with, I decided to give it a shot with this ever controvercial TT.

I've only played about 8 LP with his deck, so I won't be making strong statements, but....

This thing is DEAD QUITE and as W&F spec shows, speed accuracy is superb.
    I wish I could compare this unit with some of the exotic TT's like the ones Bernd
    has, but I cannot only compare with my Pro-Ject Xpress w/ Speedbox mk2.

This turntable just makes sense. What is the most important/basic thing a TT must do? All TTs must play with a steady speed at correct speed. I'm not going to get into stylus drag. Again, this unit holds speed unlike anything I've ever tried and heard.
    With this TT, my LP seem to play alot smoother and more seamless. What would be a correct audio term for this? PRAT? I'm not sure if PRAT can be used when describing a TT, but with its steady speed, Pace and Rhythm walks all over my Belt Drive..

One of the thing owners and observers always complain about is its arm.
    I cannot really comment on its arm yet, but it's VTA adjuster is the most amazing thing I've ever played with. It feels very solid and is VERY precise. One thing though, music just flows thru my speakers. It's Anti-Skate mechanism is repeatable and works like how every TT should. My Pro-Ject carbon fibre arm is limited to 3 positions.
    With Technics' arm, I can use it's anti-skate to bring center image to...well a dead center.

Where are some of LP I've played:
    *Piano Music of Chopin Vol.1-3, London/ffrr
    *Beethoven Complee Music for Wing Band, London/ffrr
    *Wood Brothers - Loaded
    *Joe Puma - Shining Hour
    *Iron and Wine - Shepards....
    *Jedi Mind Trick - Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell
    *YES - Close to the Edge

Here is what I can tell you, Bass was solid, highs were free of shimmering effects.
    Midrange? Hmmm..... I have not noticed either improvement nor obvisous faults.

At this moment, I'm really tempted to get a new deck from KAB with some mods, and install a Rega arm to this unit. They are that good! Why change something I'm already enjoying? I hate this hobby......

Peace,
    JRA

CONGRATS!!

& crap, now you've got me interested to

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

You may want to consider SL-1200 as a strong contender for under $1K.
    Maybe not a mk2, but mk5 or even 6 that seems to be around somewhere....

JRA

Forum Regular
    The photo reminds me of my SL-1500 from the late 1970's. The arm was on the heavy side, and if yours is similar, from what I have heard, it should be good for an MC cart. Be happy your speed is so steady - on my 1500, it cogged from the start and only got worse with time. Maybe Technics has got the problem nailed down. I got rid of the 1500, and have gone thru a gob of TT's since, but not one of them has completely satisfied me...

Laz

SL-1200 has been around since 1979, the year I was born. OUTDATED technology, go figure. Go wild with it ema'

Hey BrandonH, if you are reading this, could please tell me abou Sumiko Headshell and it's Azimuth adjuster?

I called KAB, but they seem to be on a vacation. MK5 w/ Power Supply and Cardas wire & Terminal Box looks interesting.
    Last edited by jrhymeammo; 07-05-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo

My curiousity for this deck grew more and more everytime DD vs BD discussion comes up. Yet, I have not heard anyone commenting on this with a Low Output Moving Coil cartridge. For that, I just had to try it out for myself as usual....
    Since I just picked up a brand new Denon DL-301mk2, which I'm very familiar with, I decided to give it a shot with this ever controvercial TT.

I've only played about 8 LP with his deck, so I won't be making strong statements, but....

This thing is DEAD QUITE and as W&F spec shows, speed accuracy is superb.
    I wish I could compare this unit with some of the exotic TT's like the ones Bernd
    has, but I cannot only compare with my Pro-Ject Xpress w/ Speedbox mk2.

This turntable just makes sense. What is the most important/basic thing a TT must do? All TTs must play with a steady speed at correct speed. I'm not going to get into stylus drag. Again, this unit holds speed unlike anything I've ever tried and heard.
    With this TT, my LP seem to play alot smoother and more seamless. What would be a correct audio term for this? PRAT? I'm not sure if PRAT can be used when describing a TT, but with its steady speed, Pace and Rhythm walks all over my Belt Drive..

One of the thing owners and observers always complain about is its arm.
    I cannot really comment on its arm yet, but it's VTA adjuster is the most amazing thing I've ever played with. It feels very solid and is VERY precise. One thing though, music just flows thru my speakers. It's Anti-Skate mechanism is repeatable and works like how every TT should. My Pro-Ject carbon fibre arm is limited to 3 positions.
    With Technics' arm, I can use it's anti-skate to bring center image to...well a dead center.

Where are some of LP I've played:
    *Piano Music of Chopin Vol.1-3, London/ffrr
    *Beethoven Complee Music for Wing Band, London/ffrr
    *Wood Brothers - Loaded
    *Joe Puma - Shining Hour
    *Iron and Wine - Shepards....
    *Jedi Mind Trick - Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell
    *YES - Close to the Edge

Here is what I can tell you, Bass was solid, highs were free of shimmering effects.
    Midrange? Hmmm..... I have not noticed either improvement nor obvisous faults.

At this moment, I'm really tempted to get a new deck from KAB with some mods, and install a Rega arm to this unit. They are that good! Why change something I'm already enjoying? I hate this hobby......

Peace,
    JRA
    congrats and enjoy you now own one of the best built turntables in the world.
    PS brings me back to an old thread I think you should click: Attn: Sl-1200 Owners
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

SL-1200 has been around since 1979, the year I was born. OUTDATED technology, go figure. Go wild with it ema'

Hey BrandonH, if you are reading this, could please tell me abou Sumiko Headshell and it's Azimuth adjuster?

I called KAB, but they seem to be on a vacation. MK5 w/ Power Supply and Cardas wire & Terminal Box looks interesting.
    I almost missed this post...
    On a rare occasion I'll drop in.
    For some reason I was thinking about this site and what do you know you bought a 1200.
    I still love mine and have never grown tired if it.
    I have Supertramp "Crime of the century" on the way, should be here tomorrow.
    The link I posted just will lead you back yo the old thread but it is a LP Gear Zupreme™ headshell comparable to the Sumiko.
    That's a sweet cart you got, how many hours do you have on it?
    Mine took like forever to break-in but it still ceases to amaze me every time I play it.
    I just luv MC's
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

AH!

I knew you were still snooping around. Great seeing you.

Thanks for the info. That headshell looks like its better built than a Sumiko.

Here is a link to Carbon Fibre Headshell. A bit pricy at around $120, but very cool.
    http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/.../73913935.html

I somehow forgot that you were using AT OC9II. For some reason I thought you were still a snap-on DJ cart by Ortofon.
    I have about 15-20 hours on my DL so far. I'm still breaking in a bit, but I should be ready to go in about 20 to 30 more hours.

THIS THING IS BUILT LIKE A TANK!!

JRA

Great table. Enjoy. Back in the 70s, I had a SL-110a.

Speaking of which, is it just me or does the cartridge body look skewed in the headshell? It almost appears that the front of the cartridge body is not parallel with the shell.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Speaking of which, is it just me or does the cartridge body look skewed in the headshell? It almost appears that the front of the cartridge body is not parallel with the shell.

rw
    Hey E-Stat,

This is exactly what I was going to discuss, but was going to wait until I got a replacement head shell. I'm not sure if a stock Headshell is defective or just how it's designed. But yes, you are absolutely right, My cartridge is skewed to my headshell.
    It took me about 30 minutes to install my cartridge because it just didnt feel right.

I taped 2 nails on both sides to check with my protractor grids.(DL-301 doent have flat front body). This method MUST be used by every TT owners!

Besides that, this is one great sounding deck.

JRA

Kinda like this, except I use very thin nails.

I use it with my Protractor, instead of the Schon grids.
    *Be sure to align your stylus/cantilever instead of cartridge body But if you have a cart with straight cantilever it's good enough....

JRA

so how are you liking the technics?
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I'm loving it like a McRib samitch!!
    Just placed an order for Zupreme headshell.

I will be placing an order for a KAB unit as soon as Kevin gets one in. How do you please your 1210M5G? I'm trying to decide between M5G or M5SE and can't decide between the two(just for aethetix purpose only).

How glossy if your TT?
    Thanks

I'm loving it like a McRib samitch!!
    Just placed an order for Zupreme headshell.

I will be placing an order for a KAB unit as soon as Kevin gets one in. How do you please your 1210M5G? I'm trying to decide between M5G or M5SE and can't decide between the two(just for aethetix purpose only).

How glossy if your TT?
    Thanks
    Remember that headshell is heavy and will require the auxiliary counter weight
    and you will need to modify the overhang gauge...
    I know you use a protractor I have a couple but found the supplied gauge to be best suited for this arm try both I did.
    Its glossy (not piano high gloss) but glossy on the top portion the bottom is just heavy black rubber.
    M5G also has hi-fi wiring where the MK5 does not.
    M5G has an upgraded tone arm the MK5 does not
    the additional 16% pitch is something I never need but its there.
    it also has an adjustment in case someone kicks the stand so it wont skip...I don't use it and it has no audiophile uses either but if you live on pier & beam it could be handy.
    I have one of these and really like it KAB USA Record Clamp $29.00

It is one fine table I plan to be buried with it lol

The Blue LED is really cool looking.

PS when you do order the table from Kevin get some bearing oil too.
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 07-17-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Thanks for the info, Brandon.

I hope to be spinning LP with a same deck you got, but looks like Kevin is have a difficult time procuring SL-12XXs. He's out of stock on other parts as well.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    When I use the Mo Fi Geodisc with the Baerwald alignment points the cartridge is not parallel with the headshell of the Rega. I have found this with many s shaped tonearms. That is why I prefer the Geodisc. Trying to make the cartridge parallel with the headshell will sometimes not allow you to achieve proper alignment. You sight with the tonearm pivot and set overhang using the dimple on the grid. Then you twist the cartridge to align with the grid. It is a one step process and the results are accurate. The pencil lead taped to the cartridge helps assure a proper set-up. The Geodisc will work with both of your turntables. It is $49 and will work with any table.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I know man. I think it's about time I buy my own. I've always borrowed it from my previous dealer, but that is no longer an option.
    But I've found this protractor to work fine for my Technics.
    http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge...tractors.shtml

Cutting a hole is probably the hardest part, but I trust cutting out a triangle out with a Razor is fairly accurate. Kinda like this:

I hope to be spinning LP with a same deck you got, but looks like Kevin is have a difficult time procuring SL-12XXs. He's out of stock on other parts as well.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
    I really like Kevin but it you don't want to wait...Pus I think Kevin is an authorized dealer so the warranty would not be effected.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Technics-SL-1210...QQcmdZViewItem
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Mutant from table 9
    A Big Mac is not the best burger. Nor is Bud one of the best beers. Both are very, very popular though. I think it is nice when someone finds out/realizes that the 1200 and its progeny are some of the finest and most popular decks ever made. Its unusual when best and popular go hand in hand. They're like the Corvette of decks. They're not esoteric, you think you know them, then you take it out for a spin and it's like "Damn!"

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Ah yes. I agree with you. And yes, but not really yet still very true. Right?

JRA

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
    When does Kevin expect to have the table in?
    Oh and scratch that link I posted on ebay its the wrong table.

On another note...
    Last Friday I decided to mess around with the down force, I check it about once every month or so but decided to lightened the load just for fun.
    It was at 1.50, cart recommends 1.25-1.75 so I decided to try it at 1.26.
    I remember trying it at 1.25 when I first attached the Audio Technica.
    But I ended up at 1.50, if memory serves it did not sound correct at 1.25.
    So this time I tried 1.26 and now it sounds amazing!
    The mids are ever so sweat and warm Whoa
    attack and decay especially decay is much better
    and I would have thought that the bass would shallow but it did not it became more pronounced and had a lot faster punch and deep low down depth. (go figure)

So now its like having a new cartridge again I mean this was a huge improvement I am hearing even more details in those groves, that again I never know were there where before it was pretty darn good as well.
    So I Wanda...
    Is it because the cart is now fully broke in that I was able to now lighten the down force?
    I do know this MC took a really long time to break unlike any MM I have.
    just something to mull over.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

End of this July. He's out of Cardas RCA connectors and external power supply.
    I'm thinking about going with a black SL-12XX mk2 now due to other obligation. But it's only another $150, so I might as well go with what I really want.

According to Kevin, tonearm on mk2 and M5GSE is exactly the same, except for its finish and wiring. But you gotta love its glossy finish and blue lights.
    As for cartridge break-in, it's still a bit of mystery to me. Perhaps AT's cantilever is able to respond more freely to LP surface. Man my curiousity for OC9mk2 keeps growing bigger and bigger. You gotta stop this man, I'm trying to get another TT.....

JRA

End of this July. He's out of Cardas RCA connectors and external power supply.
    I'm thinking about going with a black SL-12XX mk2 now due to other obligation. But it's only another $150, so I might as well go with what I really want.

According to Kevin, tonearm on mk2 and M5GSE is exactly the same, except for its finish and wiring. But you gotta love its glossy finish and blue lights.
    As for cartridge break-in, it's still a bit of mystery to me. Perhaps AT's cantilever is able to respond more freely to LP surface. Man my curiousity for OC9mk2 keeps growing bigger and bigger. You gotta stop this man, I'm trying to get another TT.....

JRA
    Yeah I think you will like the M5G the upgraded wiring is a plus.
    IMO its worth the additional $$$ and the wait.

The OC9 was actually personally recommended to me by Robert Pincus who until recently worked for Cisco Music (they decided to get out of the vinyl business a real shame) but he is also a recording master and knows a whole lot about remastering and mastering, he had a big hand in remastering of Aja and American Woman to name a couple he gave this cart a high praises and said it is was one of those overlooked jewels because it does not cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars for this cart I 'm glad I took his word for it.
    and he also said it would mate with the Technics very well.
    The words he said "it works magic" if a recording master say that well...
    Ok I'll quit now, sorry I still get excited over this cart even after all this time.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Cool Hiro. As Bert says, Keep em spinning.
    Cheers mate hope all is well
    -
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

Thanks shaggy,

I've received my Zupreme headshell. Unlike Brandon, I haven't noticed any noise reduction. But this for certain, bass has improved dramatically. Since my speakers are 2 way monitor with 7' woofers, I havent noticed any deeper bass, but music has more weight and sounds very fast/crisp.

Great little headshell.

JRA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information