Forum Regular

TT setup question

Hi,

I just obtained an old JVC QL-A2 table with a brand new cartridge. It works great with a few exceptions:

1) Thusfar I have spun 5 or 6 lp's. About 1/2 of them, when the side is about 7/10th's done, it starts skipping. Any ideas? I'm not sure how the anti-skating knob affects this as well as how much the counterweight setting affects this. I have no tools to measure any of those settings. The cartridge is set in the middle of the slots in the headshell.

2) One of the lp's I played had this horrible "scchhscshhch" sound on the vocals almost immediately when I drop the needle, any ideas? Perhaps a bad pressing?

Thanks for any inputs.

Dave

ps - I have no manual for the table either.

I think anti-skating could affect the skipping issue. Set it at the number that matches your tracking force, which is set by balancing the tone arm and rotating the counterweight. At what setting do you have the tracking force? As for the LP that makes the "scchhscshhch" sound, could it be grimy or warped?

Forum Regular
    Hi,

The anti skate is set to ~ 1.5, will check the tracking force value.

The lp that made that awful sound is brand new, an older pressing of The Call's "into the woods". No warping either.

I'll keep fiddling with it all until it gets right.

The cart. is an AT92E and I'm sure an upgrade would be a good thing to consider. There is a local shop who has a great TT tech, I may get their assistance as well.

Thanks -

Dave

I would start with these basic set up procedures.

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Good Luck. LDB
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Good Luck. LDB
    4,500 word "basic" setup instructions I think he'll need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    4,500 word "basic" setup instructions I think he'll need it.
    It will be worth it in the end. Nuttin' like a decent TT set up properly.

At least he doesn't have to mount an arm.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    Hi,

The anti skate is set to ~ 1.5, will check the tracking force value.

The lp that made that awful sound is brand new, an older pressing of The Call's "into the woods". No warping either.

I'll keep fiddling with it all until it gets right.

The cart. is an AT92E and I'm sure an upgrade would be a good thing to consider. There is a local shop who has a great TT tech, I may get their assistance as well.

Thanks -

Dave
    If you have a light tracking force, the anti-skating can cause the stylus to skip backward and play the same turn of the record over and over. Is that what you're experiencing? If so, you need less anti-skating or more tracking force. I would suggest a tracking force of 1.5 and anti-skating of slightly less...depending on whether it sounds right and it's helping with the skipping issue.

And regarding upgrades...I've read good things about the AT95E.

Forum Regular
    noob,

That is exactly what it is doing.

However, I did get some other advice: - I was told to set the counterweight to a level that made the tonearm "float", then turn the indicator to 0, then advance the counterweight to ~ 1.5 and adjust the anti-skate to the same level. I gave that a whirl but have not tried it yet, will advise.

I'm not really mechanically minded so the advice is much appreciated. I would never mount an arm, I'd probably break the thing!

Thanks.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    noob,

That is exactly what it is doing.

However, I did get some other advice: - I was told to set the counterweight to a level that made the tonearm "float", then turn the indicator to 0, then advance the counterweight to ~ 1.5 and adjust the anti-skate to the same level. I gave that a whirl but have not tried it yet, will advise.

I'm not really mechanically minded so the advice is much appreciated. I would never mount an arm, I'd probably break the thing!

Thanks.

Dave
    Yes...you were advised correctly on how to set the tracking force. Given that you had the anti-skating set to 1.5, it stands to reason you did NOT have the tracking force set to 1.5. You could also look into getting a tracking force gauge. The Shure SFG-2 works very well and is pretty inexpensive.

Thread Information