Best Luck,

To bad, so sad

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Just keep this as your homepage.

http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?preaphon&1&ctg&st1

There is a creek for $99

Best Luck,
    That warrants serious attention.

An OBH-8 SE got away from me on eBay ...
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=020
    I bid $112; it sold for $113.50.

Hey Feanor,

If you were to purchase a phono from US for $100, how much would it end up be after GST?
    I thought GST was only 6% but seems like there are other fee that Canadian consumers are charged with.

Regards,

Outcome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by herm0016
    phonopreamps.com has some decent offerings. i have the TCC-750 and am happy with it for the money.
    Thanks, guys, for all your recommendations. I have decided to go herm0016's suggestion: thanks to you in particular, Herm.

This might be the cheapo solution, but it suits my limited needs and budget ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida
    It may very well be affordable in price, but I doubt from the specs it's cheap! I'm curious how it'll sound with your setup...
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~

"Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

Quote Originally Posted by jt1stcav
    It may very well be affordable in price, but I doubt from the specs it's cheap! I'm curious how it'll sound with your setup...
    Hey JT, you gotta PM

Angry What a scam

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hey Feanor,

If you were to purchase a phono from US for $100, how much would it end up be after GST?
    I thought GST was only 6% but seems like there are other fee that Canadian consumers are charged with.

Regards,
    Well, GST isn't the end of it. I could pay duty, (??%), depending on the product and the country of origin, GST (6%), Ontario Provincial Sales Tax (8%), and -- here's the really sweet part -- brokerage. If sent by standard USPS, Canada Post will charge me $5 flat fee, (not too bad), or $8 if USPS expedited. The latter sucks because Canada Post doesn't "expedited" the shipment in any way, in my experience. There might be a minimum below which charges are waived, but it is very low: let's say <$20. In my experience, sometimes very small packages, (e.g. 1 or 2 CDs), sneek under Canada Post's radar regardless of value.

However mimium I would typically pay on a $100 item would be $6+8+5 = $19.

On the other hand, if the carrier is FedEx and you don't have a personal customs broker, (who has a personal customs broker?), FedEx Trade Networks, (their customs broker division), would charge something like $10-15 on a hundered dollar item. UPS charges slightly more than FedEx. And BTW, GST is charge on the brokerage -- in otherwise I'm being charged tax on service whose only purpose is collect tax. Now that's egregious.

I'll let you know what I actually paid in the case of the TCC preamp I ordered.

Smile We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by jt1stcav
    Thanks for that comment, Jim,

I'll let folks know my impressions.

Arrived & working

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Thanks, guys, for all your recommendations. I have decided to go herm0016's suggestion: thanks to you in particular, Herm.

This might be the cheapo solution, but it suits my limited needs and budget ......
    The TCC TC-750 arrived: total cost US$49.50, delivered. (Canada Post "forgot" to charge me taxes and brokerage -- somethings you get lucky on small packages.)

The unit is installed and functional. I'm using Kimber PBJ cables to connect to the preamp rather than the enclosed <$5-class cables enclosed. The sound is OK so far a bit peaked in the upper-mid, a little less so after 2-3 hours of playing.

Nobody will be surprised hear me say this isn't destined to be a great phono pre, but at least I can listen to my LPs once again. I will need to consider whether I want to look for something a bit better before I rip the LPs to digital, but anyway that can wait 'till after the Christmas bills are paid.

Smile Further update!!

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The TCC TC-750 arrived: total cost US$49.50, delivered. (Canada Post "forgot" to charge me taxes and brokerage -- somethings you get lucky on small packages.)

The unit is installed and functional. I'm using Kimber PBJ cables to connect to the preamp rather than the enclosed <$5-class cables enclosed. The sound is OK so far a bit peaked in the upper-mid, a little less so after 2-3 hours of playing.

The TC-750 after a few hours burn-in is sounding quite decent: very quiet, smooth, and quite detailed and airy. I'm quite prepared to recommend it to anyone who wants a dirt cheap preamp -- for the buck, you'll be amazed.

Good on you, Bill.

I hope you'll succesfully transfer your wax onto your HD.

Forum Regular
    I am glad you are liking the little guy. i am away from my system for 10 days...i do kinda miss it.
    Rosza Center for the Perfroming Arts
    Amature radio: KD8DYO
    Michigan Tech. University:
    Mechanical Engineering/Technical Theater

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information