Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So hit me

So hit me

Folks,

You know perfectly well that that vinyl is a low priority for me, but I still want to maintain the capability to play it, (if only because I haven't gotten around to digitizing my LPs). I've been very stupid about getting rid of phono-capable preamps. I've sold:
    • Apt Holman preamp -- which I really, really regret
    • Cambridge 540P, (MM only phono pre)
    • Sansui C2101 preamp -- not great loss, but ...
    This have left me without a phono preamp, and I need one. My budget is < $150, used. Please set up and give me your suggestions.

hard, $150 used...

I'd say that you could look out for a jolida phonopre, they're exellent for their money, but I think they'll go for more than $150 used.

otherwise, Pro-ject, although $150 will limit your choices there too, a parasound Zphono, or DIY, Check out http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobesp.../seduction.htm looks like a really nice phonopre, although it costs more than your budget allows...

Good luck,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Fe- Are you needing a phono capable pre amp or just a phono amp to go with a line stage? Do you want to be able to amplify low output cartridges or high output? There is a little Bellari on Audiogon as we speak but it will only work with high output cartridges.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Just the phono pre

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Fe- Are you needing a phono capable pre amp or just a phono amp to go with a line stage? Do you want to be able to amplify low output cartridges or high output? There is a little Bellari on Audiogon as we speak but it will only work with high output cartridges.
    Jim,

The phono preamp is all I need. The priority is MM, but I wouldn't mind getting MC too.

Kit

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    hard, $150 used...

I'd say that you could look out for a jolida phonopre, they're exellent for their money, but I think they'll go for more than $150 used.

otherwise, Pro-ject, although $150 will limit your choices there too, a parasound Zphono, or DIY, Check out http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobesp.../seduction.htm looks like a really nice phonopre, although it costs more than your budget allows...

Good luck,
    Bert.
    Hi, Bert,

The Bottlehead is interesting, but a little higher than I want to go.

Fe- I'd just keep Audiogon up so you can watch the posts.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Could you do $170.00?

http://decibelchicago.stores.yahoo.n...uaz64phpr.html

Think this is probably the best you'd do in the price-range. You wouldn't have to worry about the age / performance of a used component... I don't have one, but it's supposed to be a bargain. JohnMichael's been using one with a Benz Gold low output moving coil and prefers it over his Rotel that sells for more. Maybe he'll check in...

A real possibility

Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    Could you do $170.00?

http://decibelchicago.stores.yahoo.n...uaz64phpr.html

Think this is probably the best you'd do in the price-range. You wouldn't have to worry about the age / performance of a used component... I don't have one, but it's supposed to be a bargain. JohnMichael's been using one with a Benz Gold low output moving coil and prefers it over his Rotel that sells for more. Maybe he'll check in...
    Or maybe I'll just go for the 540P, ($90), which I've used before.

Feanor- For the love of music . . don't sell your vinyl front end short.

Bless you, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Feanor- For the love of music . . don't sell your vinyl front end short.
    I know you have my emotional well-being in mind. But my real objective is to clear some space on the lower shelf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So hit me-hifisystem_sep04-700.jpg  

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    The Bellari VP-129 tubed phono preamp w/headphone amp, rumble filter (which I've never used, but some might find helpful) and volume control is a neat, good sounding unit. It SHOULD go for $150 on the used market because its original list price was $199 rather than $249 as it is now, but I think the ones I've seen on audiogon are going for $170+. Even though it has only one tube (12AX7 type), it does benefit from an upgraded tube - no night and day difference, but you can get a little tighter, deeper bass, slightly lusher midrange or a little more presence (performer in your room) depending on the tube. I've experienced all 3 differences by swapping tubes. Also, it's a little cheaper to go with nos tubes when you only need one.

Oh yeah, it's a decent space saver because it's small.

Audio Enthusiast

My suggestions

I've built a Bottlehead Seduction. It wasn't any better than the internal phono pre that was on my NAD 3020 (Holman designed). But it was a fun experiment. As with most bottlehead kits I've built, it had a bit more background noise and often requires the optional upgrades to achieve a black background to your music.

I did have an opportunity to directly compare the Bottlehead Seduction to the APT/Holman internal phono stage, Vincent(?), a McIntosh Internal phono stage (C110?), and an NAD PP-1using a Thorens 120 and a Grado Prestige Black MM cartridge as the source. The Bottlehead Seduction was NOT the least expensive but it was the least capable of the group.

A Bellari and an EAR 834P was also scheduled for the comparison but those did not arrive in time.

In your price range:
    The NAD PP-2 is always highly talked about and seems to get good reviews when accompanied by the upgraded power supply. I see them often around your price range. ~$129 from online retailers.

The Cambridge audio preamps seem to get good reviews too. The Azur 540P sells for ~$89. The Azur 640P is $159 Since you've once had one, was its performance not acceptable to you?

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    I've built a Bottlehead Seduction. ...

I did have an opportunity to directly compare the Bottlehead Seduction to the APT/Holman internal phono stage, Vincent(?), a McIntosh Internal phono stage (C110?), and an NAD PP-1using a Thorens 120 and a Grado Prestige Black MM cartridge as the source. The Bottlehead Seduction was NOT the least expensive but it was the least capable of the group.

The Cambridge audio preamps seem to get good reviews too. The Azur 540P sells for ~$89. The Azur 640P is $159 Since you've once had one, was its performance not acceptable to you?
    Long, silly story, but I had and sold both an Apt Holman and a afterwards a Cambridge 540P. Nothing wrong with either of these; I should have kept the Apt in the first place. I might buy another 540P since I don't really need MC.

So 540P has Class A gain, but 640P doesnt?

I understand that you dont want to accumilate any further expense in your analog setup, but I would swap out your DL-110. That cart is far from neutral. I believe some HOMM by AT will give you more musical bliss than what you have. Not a big fan of Grado either so if your taste is anything like mine, then whatever carts you have at this moment will not do.

Hey, as soon as you wanna get rid of your LP let me know how much you want for your Zerostat.

hmm

you could always try to find a vintage Mcintosh pre, since they all had good phono stages

a c26 or c28 anyone???

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Nice thought

hmm

you could always try to find a vintage Mcintosh pre, since they all had good phono stages

a c26 or c28 anyone???

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Yep, I love McIntosh style and I'd love a C28 or C26. Unfortunately, (a) C28 ~ $600, C26 ~ $500, maybe a little less depending on the condition and luck, (b) they're pretty big units and I'm looking for something relatively compact at the moment.

C28 ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So hit me-mcintosh_c28-700.jpg  

Forum Regular
    phonopreamps.com has some decent offerings. i have the TCC-750 and am happy with it for the money.
    Rosza Center for the Perfroming Arts
    Amature radio: KD8DYO
    Michigan Tech. University:
    Mechanical Engineering/Technical Theater

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    The Bellari VP-129 tubed phono preamp w/headphone amp, rumble filter (which I've never used, but some might find helpful) and volume control is a neat, good sounding unit.
    It's a decent sounding little unit. I use one in the vintage garage system with the Ariston/SME. Since I don't use a line stage/preamp, I find the gain control quite useful. Compact it is!

rw

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Yep, I love McIntosh style and I'd love a C28 or C26.
    Sound quality? No offense, but I strongly recommend listening to one before plunking down any money. Early Mac SS was rather insipid. One of the most disappointing systems I heard back in the 70s was a pair of in-wall mounted Bozaks driven by a C-28/2105 combo. The full wall light show (including the MPI-4 maximum performance indicator and a MR-74) was quite impressive, however, with all those green and blue lights aglow.

rw

that's really COOL, E-Stat. I haven't tried mine directly to an amp yet. what amp and speakers are you using in your vintage system?

You are returning to when I was 17. I don't want to be unkind, but those units were simply not as good as one could find back then. I had a better sounding Harman-Kardon Citation 11 at the time. I also had the opportunity to hear the benchmark of that day, the Audio Research SP-3a in my system. No comparison.

rw

that's really COOL, E-Stat.
    I originally bought the arm when I was 17 (like our younger member here) and put in on a Technics SL110. While the 110 was "cooler looking", I replaced it with the Ariston a year later.

I haven't tried mine directly to an amp yet. what amp and speakers are you using in your vintage system?
    Threshold Stasis 3 driving double New Advents. With only 30 db of gain available on the Bellari, I cannot fully drive the Stasis, but can still achieve the 80-85 db levels I prefer.

A pic of the Advents is in my photo gallery. Since the amp is 26 years old, I recently replaced the Mallory caps (that's why I had the cover off). While still quite good today, it was a killer amp in 1981. I've always been a fan of Nelson Pass' work.

rw

COOL again! Speaking of Pass, one of these days I'm going to grab an Aleph 3, 30 or J. If I'm not fast enough on A-gon, I might have to shell out the cash for a new First Watt.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by herm0016
    phonopreamps.com has some decent offerings. i have the TCC-750 and am happy with it for the money.
    They are certainly appealing price-wise.

Yeah, I love the lights

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Sound quality? No offense, but I strongly recommend listening to one before plunking down any money. Early Mac SS was rather insipid. One of the most disappointing systems I heard back in the 70s was a pair of in-wall mounted Bozaks driven by a C-28/2105 combo. The full wall light show (including the MPI-4 maximum performance indicator and a MR-74) was quite impressive, however, with all those green and blue lights aglow.

rw
    If I were to buy a Mac it wouldn't be with the expectation of top sound: much more for the cosmetics and the elite construction. Doubtless my Apt Holman had a phono than the Macs of the same era. And I could replace Apt a lot cheaper than buying a C26.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information