Forum Regular

Satin 117G Cartridge

I have a 30 year old Satin 117G moving coil cartridge that needs a replacement stylus. The stylus is available for about $100.00. I am wondering if after 30 years, does the moving coil cartridge deteriorate? I have not used it since then. Thanks !

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urabus99
    I have a 30 year old Satin 117G moving coil cartridge that needs a replacement stylus. The stylus is available for about $100.00. I am wondering if after 30 years, does the moving coil cartridge deteriorate? I have not used it since then. Thanks !

It has been a long time since I have heard of Satin cartridges. I think Satin made the only MC cartridge with replaceable stylus. I would think a new stylus assembly would be worth a try. The only problems I can think of would be if the magnet had lost strength or the coils are heavily magnetized. I would think the new stylus assembly would have a new suspension system that would be my other concern for a cartridge of that age. I remember the University of Dayton's radio station used the Satin cartridges because the DJ's could do a quick stylus change if needed. Wow 30 year old cartridge that makes me older.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Thanks for getting back to me. I guess the only way I will find out if the cartridge works, is to buy the stylus. It may very well be worth a try, it is a high output, which doesn't require a step up transformer. Again Thanks !!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Dude, absolutely not! If the coils are shot, which is highly possible, you will have literally burned that money. Put the cash into a new cartridge.

I just had a friend in this EXACT same situation with a vintage cart. It was 250 for a new stylus or 350 for a new cart. He thought he'd save a buck and it turned out the cart had issues. Left channel coil was pooched.

Just a heads up to be careful, if you're not 100% sure of the condition of the cart, why take the chance?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Wow 30 year old cartridge that makes me older.
    Unlike the questionable cartridge, you have aged quite nicely my good man...

Thread Information