Forum Regular

R.I.P. Yamaha P220 1987 - 2007

Sigh, the old gray mare ain't what she used to be....

Hi peeps, new to the site here and I can't wait to look around. Sadly, my reasons for visiting are based on the death of my turntable yesterday. Twenty years strong, through high school, college and law school and now to here. Oh, sure, she can probably be repaired, but, why not use the opportunity to make a new purchase?

Naturally, this breakdown occurs at the arrival of several much anticipated pieces of vinyl: Guided by Voices' Box set (6 classic records), Spoon's Series of Sneaks (500 copies! Red vinyl!) and a UK pressing of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless....

It's the craziest thing, I was listening to a record the other day and the damn thing started playing BACKWARDS. I stopped and restarted it and it then worked fine. About a week later though, there was no movement at all from the platter. The belt is fine, but the motor just won't spin.

Sorry for the rambling, but I would LOVE to hear your suggestions for a sub $500 turntable.

Currently, I have a Yamaha RX 350 Integrated amp (with phono stage), Denon DCD 595 and a pair of B&W 601's (not hooked up) and 602's.

Thanks!

Welcome to Audio Review!!!

Rega P1 with some cash left over for a cartridge upgrade...

Pro-Ject Xpression Mk II...

I went with a Technics SL-1200 MKII. I like the speed stability and the reasonably detailed, yet "unfussy" sound. The easily adjustable tonearm with height adjustment. The arm is more suited to the Denon DL-103 low output MC carts I fell in love with. I really do feel the performance is comparable to belt-drives in the same price-range. There are pros and cons... You can usually find a deal on a new one for $400.00 online. No cart is included though...

Something like the Pro-Ject would come out on top as far as detail retrieval I'm sure... The arm would be better suited to most high-compliance MM carts. Although, I feel there is something to be said for reliability, ease of use, non-fatiguing, "unfussy" sound, rock-solid sounding pianos, nice leveling feet...

No matter what you decide... There are some nice tables out there in that price-range from several manufacturers now. You probably couldn't go too wrong. The only tables I'm not thrilled with these days are the lowest entry-level models. Seems like a little too much competition and compromise going on in that price-range. For $500.00, I'd probably tend to stay away from tables with auto functions or belt-drives with DC servo motors (usually undersized in this price-range). Concentrate on sound quality...

You could look for a good deal on a slightly used Music Hall MMF-5, Pro-Ject RM-5, etc...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....2702&demo&3&4&

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1182898169
    Last edited by royphil345; 05-14-2007 at 06:59 AM.

Just wanna say welcome, and hope you'll find a table you'll be happy with for another 20 years, whether it be DD or Belt Drive.

The only I would recommend is to get pick one up from a dealer. Everything has to be shipped via commerical carriers whether you order one off the net or prestiges dealers. But if you are going to get one from a dealer, at least you can inspect damages on orignal boxes. You can always refuse one that looks to be damaged, but no much you can do from private dealers. I think TT would be the last thing I wanna buy it used, unless the unit is within a driving distance.

Good luck and have fun,

Sound Fanatic
    Awww... my Yamaha YP-211 from 1977 died a short time ago too, so I sympathize.

For a manual TT, check out the Rega P1 or the Goldring 1.2 (they're the same table). The Music Hall is a good suggestion as well. For an automatic table, have a look at the Denon DP-300F. Any of them will give you financial room to buy a nice cartridge like the AT440MLa. You can have a nice setup well within your means.

Forum Regular
    Ok, gang, thanks so much for your suggestions.

Unbelievably, despite living in such a large city, I was only able to find one hifi store that carried turntables. I believe I am in between two different models: Rega P1 (with the Ortofon(?) setup) and a Pro-ject 5 with a Sumiko Blue Point(?) cartridge. The Rega will be about $350-ish, I guess, and the Pro-ject around $800-ish.

By all means, let me know what your opinions are.

And, I'm a single guy! Where are my dust covers?! I don't dust!

A new RM-5 is considerably more than you wanted to spend...

It does seem worth the money. Don't pay more than $650.00 minus a cartridge. Sounds like they might be willing to do even better than that since they quoted you $800 with a Blue Point. http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...iko-Cartridges I've had a Blue Point. Didn't think it sounded that great or was built very well. If you want to try a similar high output moving coil, try a Denon DL-110. I think a better sounding, better built cart at half the price. http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...non-Cartridges Or save even more and get one from a country where they're cheaper on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-DL-110-Hig...QQcmdZViewItem

There is no dust cover though... Might scare me away too...

The Rega is a very decent table. Has a dust cover... The Ortofon 5 is very decent inexpensive cartridge and one of the more balanced sounding ones, but may leave you wanting after awhile. If you can spend a bit more... VTA (tonearm height) adjustment, a slightly better cart and a slightly heavier platter would be worth the money.

You could get a Music Hall MMF-5 online http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MHMMF5 The Goldring cart is said to be very capable. Haven't tried one myself...

...or a Pro-Ject Xpression http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...2&category=352 You'd probably want to upgrade the Oyster eventually...

Both have dust covers and a performance / price level in between the two tables you could buy locally. I wouldn't be too afraid to buy a new turntable online from a reputable dealer. I buy just about everything online for this very reason. The stores rarely seem to have exactly what I'm looking for. Been pretty happy with my online purchases.

Technics 1200 and Denon DL-110 would run about $550.00 online... Could this combo outperform the Pro-Ject Xpression?... Probably with the stock Oyster cart on the Xpression... Probably not with cartridges being more equal (slightly better resolution from the more modern tonearm and belt-drive design)... Technics is tougher, easier to adjust, isolation is good, nice leveling feet... I like the reasonably detailed, yet "easy going" sound. Still lovin' the heck out of my Technics 1200 / Denon DL-103 (low output) / Jolida JD-9A combo!!!

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/te..._sl1200_e.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/te...l1200_2_e.html
    Last edited by royphil345; 05-21-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Sound Fanatic
    Three suggestions within your original budget:

Rega P1

Music Hall 2.1

Denon DP-300F

I would still recommend the AT440MLa as a cartridge upgrade... here.

Forum Regular
    Ok!

I bought it and pick it up at the dealer tomorrow!

It's a.........*drumroll*

Pro-ject RM-5 with a Sumiko Pearl!

I can't wait. While maybe not my design of choice, I'm pleased with the reviews and value.

I think I got a good deal on it, but we'll see. At any rate, I NEEDED a new TT and now (or in 12 hours) I'll have one. And I am CONVINCED a dust cover can be fabricated for less than $200.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Should be a real nice sounding combo. I'm sure you'll come up with some sort of cover.

Enjoy... Let us know how it sounds...

Congrats,

RM-5 should be a great performer with options to swap out your cables later if you choose to.

For the dust cover, I cannot speak from my experience but you may want to check into these.
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1183901582

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1182720625

I hate to post like this right after you made your purchase, but if you can spare another $100 or so, I STRONGLY recommend PJ owners to get a Speedbox. It is a MUST have.
    Probably the best $120 I have ever spent in this hobby.

Have fun,

Forum Regular
    Thanks y'all! I keep staring at my watch waiting for the time to call and see if it's ready.

Jrhymeammo, thanks for the hook up on covers! That's awesome and I'll probably order one in a week or two.

As for the Speedbox, my dealer has already recommended one so I'm aware of its impact.

It's funny, I have rarely used exclamation points as much as I have until I came to this site.

I hope you are spinning some fresh tunes today.

For the speedbox, you will not regret it. One of the most important parts of analog playback, as you know, is TT's speed accuracy/stability.

I'm glad you didnt get the Xpression because the stock cart is absolutely horrible. I just gave it away to a friend as usual. But the deck is a solid performer.

Let us know how you like the deck.

-one

AR Newbie Registered Member

Raising a thread from the dead...

Hi,

I'm new here and hope this post isn't breaking this board's decorum or ettiquette, but I've got a Yamaha P-220, presumably like Coastrat's.

Coastrat, I realize this is an extreme longshot considering your Yamaha died 2 years ago, but I've been searching for replacement hinges for this thing for as long as I've had it, and was wondering if you may still have yours. If you do, I was hoping I might be able to buy the hinges from you.

If any of the rest of you know where I may be able to buy replacement hinges for this turntable, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
    Steve

Thread Information