Thread: Phono preamps

Phono preamps

I have a Thorens TD320 TT which I finally hooked up to my Onkyo SR602 reciever using a Parasound phono preamp I bought used. Before I had the Onkyo, I had a Sony STRde925 reciever and had the TT hooked up. The sound was not all that good to the point I almost sold the Thorens. Now I am glad I didn't. The Thorens really sings going thru the Parasound phone preamp. I never thought there would be so much difference in the phono section of my old Sony and a seperate phono preamp. I wish I had gone with a seperate phono preamp years ago!

Glad to hear that your vinyl sounds good now. What are you running for a cartridge?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Stanton 680

I am using a Stanton 680. I am sure there are better cartridges but do not know much about cartridges. will have to educate myself on this

Forum Regular
    Same thing happened to me too. My Rega was hooked up to Exposure 15, MM phono. Never really sang. And I thought the Rega was, well ...budget, probably not much to expect out of it, that is, until I acquired the Black Cube. My Rega was unleashed. Funny though, I thought my 15 had a good phono stage, what with all those good reviews! The Black Cube made me realise that a stand alone phono is definitely the way to go. I never looked back, and quite recently, I bulit a power supply using 50VA transformer, and this took the Black Cube even further. I haven't much time to play around with cartridges, and I hope you have fun experimenting with them. However, with low output MC, you will need MC transformer. Cheers !

Thread Information