Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

A new phono preamp

My fourth phono preamp has been delivered. I am trying the Simaudio Moon 110LP. I am enjoying the Grado Statement Sonata. I have been running it through the Graham Slee Fanfare which loads the cartridge at 470 Ohms. The Grado is designed for 47K Ohms and the 110LP will allow me to select 47K and 60db of gain.

I considered the Grado phono preamp which has two gain settings but no other loading options than the 47K. Since I have other cartridges I wanted to be able to have a little flexibility.

The Rotel when used with the low output Grado in MC mode loads the cartridge with 100 Ohms as does the Cambridge Audio 640P. The Rotel is a little more sensitive than the CA 640P but neither has the gain for the dynamics I expect. The Fanfare is better matched to the output of the Grado.

When I am home and open it up I will set the jumpers to work with the Grado. Then plug it in and give it a listen. I know it may take up to 200 hours to fully burn-in. I am expecting better sound due to better build quality and proper loading. I will be comparing it most closely to the Fanfare. If it is not better back it goes.

I bought the Graham Slee for his belief that phono preamps are better made for only one gain stage. I wanted to try the 110LP for the choice of loading and gain at a very reasonable cost.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Congrats...looking forward to your review.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Right out of the box and plugged in my response was silky. Obviously needs to open up but promising.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Still too early to talk about sound, which is good by the way, but I wanted to talk about construction. It has a pretty circuit board. The layout, components and soldering look to be of high quality. The case is larger than the Fanfare and shields the components better since I am not troubled by low level music from a local radio station.

The jumpers are easy to change and should remain trouble free compared to the noise that can develop with switches. I did not change the capacitance level from the factory setting, loading was also factory set at 47k so the only change was to the 60db gain setting.

The only thing that seems of low quality is the same thing that was of low quality with the stock Fanfare and the CA 640P. The walwart would not impress. If a better power supply is made available I will probably buy one.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I wonder if the New Pangea power supply would work?? You think?
    Last edited by frenchmon; 02-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    I wonder if the New Pangea power supply would work?? You think?

I know it will with the CA 640P and it would be great if it worked with the Moon 110LP. As soon as I have time I will call AudioAdvisor.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Moon LP110 is sounding good. Some of the stridency I heard with violins is gone. This is a better phono stage than the other three. It is the quietest and much background noise is gone. I think the term blacker backgrounds apply here.

I thought the Fanfare had good depth but the Moon has better depth, layering and for the first time a sense of physical space. Listening to a Telarc recording of "The Rite of Spring" I heard a very defined sense of space.

I do not know how this compares with the earlier LP3 but the 110LP is well worth the money. There are other phono preamps that cost a lot more but I think the 110LP will satisfy for a long time.

I am using the Grado cartridge and the MoFi OML1's to evaluate the 110LP. Since the OML1's have the angled front baffle which time aligns the speaker I am able to hear the quality of imaging and soundstaging the 110LP brings to the party.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 02-19-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a very good amp for the price. I had been thinking really hard about the Refex M really hard. I know a guy who was talking about selling his Ear 834p because the Refex M is just that good. But at $1200 man that's a lot of jack. I have always wondered about the 110LP ever scence Peabody told me I should get the Simaudio a few months ago. The price seems reasonable and it looks nice at that. Which one did you get the black or silver? Continue to update me please....I can't run my vinyl through my Rotel pre and out to the Vincent forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post

The only thing that seems of low quality is the same thing that was of low quality with the stock Fanfare and the CA 640P. The walwart would not impress. If a better power supply is made available I will probably buy one.
    Looks like I found your power supply JM....I sent you a link in your PM. They say it will fit the 110LP

Looks like I found your power supply JM....I sent you a link in your PM. They say it will fit the 110LP

Wow thank you. I think that will do the trick and it is also affordable. Thanks again.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Oh no problem JM! I think I might just follow your lead on the 110LP...and then follow that up with the power supply. Together I think they not only will sound good, but they make an attractive pair. I wonder if that power supply comes in a silver finish?

Some of the sounds I thought indicated record wear was actually distortion from the phono preamp. The 110LP is so silent that my records are sounding better. It is much more immune from noise. I no longer have bleed through of the local country station with the 110LP as compared to the Fanfare using the same cartridge and cables.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Oh...I thought you meant distortion from the 110LP, but you mean from the fanfare. I wonder how the Reflex M has such good reviews but the fanfare seems to have its flaws? I guess some times the more expensive item in the same chain will just have less flaws. The 110LP seems like a very good amp, I am wondering how much improvement the Welborne power supply will add to the 110LP?

Oh...I thought you meant distortion from the 110LP, but you mean from the fanfare. I wonder how the Reflex M has such good reviews but the fanfare seems to have its flaws? I guess some times the more expensive item in the same chain will just have less flaws. The 110LP seems like a very good amp, I am wondering how much improvement the Welborne power supply will add to the 110LP?

I hope to let you know soon. The distortion or noise that I was hearing may have been due to the case not shielding the circuit of the Fanfare. Someone who does not live so close to a radio transmitter may never hear it. The 110LP is either better shielded or the circuit layout better rejects interference. All I know is I am very pleased with the silence and the music.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

JM...the 2M Black Recommended load capacitance is 150-300 pF

The 110LP End-user adjustable capacitance loading (0pF and 100pF)

Will that effect the 2M Black... would I be better not getting the 110LP ?

JM...the 2M Black Recommended load capacitance is 150-300 pF

The 110LP End-user adjustable capacitance loading (0pF and 100pF)

Will that effect the 2M Black... would I be better not getting the 110LP ?

I have to admit I have never worried about capacitance loading. Many phono preamps do not have an option to vary capacitance. If I remember correctly you also have to take into account the capacitance of your tonearm cables. I am currently using the Grado and they are not sensitive to capacitance loading.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ok....There is a guy over at Vinylengine who has the 110LP and the 2M Black and he loves it.

I just ordered the upgrade power supply from Welborne Labs and I am sober. Seriously if it improves what I already have I will be very happy.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Vinyl Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I just ordered the upgrade power supply from Welborne Labs and I am sober. Seriously if it improves what I already have I will be very happy.
    Sober!!! Shame on you. Ordering sober takes all the suspense out of the purchase.....Just teasing you of course. I am 95% sure I may be following in your foot steps. I have read to many reviews stating how silent that amp is.

Right now, I have the TT going into the Rotel 1090 amp and then into the Vincent preamp. I have the volume on the Rotel set to the same loudness of the Musica Fidelity CDP when I play it. I don't know if CD's are just recorded badly but just about every record I play on the MMF-7.1 has better dynamics and staging and seperation and air than the CD's I play. And that with running the 7.1 through the Rotel preamp with the onboard phono stage, out of that into the Vincent tube preamp. And the 7.1 is still using the 2M Red. My Vinyl rig sounds wonderful as it is now. So when I get the phono stage and the 2M Black, I just really cant imagine ho w much better its going to sound, but I know it will.

Frenchmon, you gettin ready to pull the trigger on the 2M Black? I'm anxious to hear how it sounds on the 7.1.
    Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum
    Music Hall 7.1
    Jasmine LP 2.0 MKII
    Goldring 2400
    Pioneer RT-909 Reel to Reel
    HK AVR 327
    Energy RC-10 L&R
    Energy RC Mini CC
    Energy RC Mini rears
    LG 60PS60 Plasma
    LG 50PS50 Plasma
    Magnavox BR player

yeah....I am as well. The reason why I have not is because I was in no hurry...the Red sounds really good. It was a big difference coming from the way it sounded on the 2.1 to the 7.1. It was a night and day difference.

JM...hows the 110LP sounding?

JM...hows the 110LP sounding?

I am playing around with my AlphaCore IC's both the Micropurl and the TQ2. The Fanfare sounded better with the Micropurl but the 110LP sounds best with the TQ2's. Now I am waiting on the power supply upgrade. Welborne had a sale on them and sold enough that they are waiting for a new shipment of cases.

If you love string instruments you will love the 110LP. Everything from acoustic guitar to violins, cellos, upright bass sound so natural. The contribution of the strings and body of the instrument are present. Depending on the recording the bow moving over the strings is more audible with this phono preamp.

Voices are more natural even on older recordings. I have a two record set by Judy Collins "So Early In The Spring The First Fifteen Years" and the recording quality varies from song to song. Even on this older and well played recording the lack of noise let's her voice shine through. Of course the Grado's have always been known for their reproduction of female voices.

Lack of noise = more music so I find most instruments are reproduced more accurately. Percussion has more detail with much less edge. Brass in large orchestral performances is more detailed and focused when with other phono stages the sound was poorly defined. I want to play a song on a live Helen Hume recording where she is backed by three tenor sax players who each take a solo and display their individual techniques.

I have tomorrow off so I plan a relaxing day of spinning vinyl. I will report more after an extended day of listening. Noise free is the way for me.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Wow! Sounds like a winner. I will kindly wait for your relaxing day of spinning to hear what you think.

BTW...I have run across two guys online who have that same outfit, 110LP and Welborne PSU and they love it.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 02-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.

I am having a great day listeneing to some good jazz. Coleman Hawkins, Diana Krall and next up Helen Humes will be spinning. I am hearing how very good rhythm and timing are with the 110LP. When Diana has an intake of breath and there is that little bit of tension before the next words are sung. She takes a breath and I sit in anticipation waiting to hear what she does with it. I have had her "Quiet Nights" record for awhile but am truly hearing it for the first time.

The Grado and the 110LP are a great combination. The highs are present with no brightness or etch. Midrange is detailed and remains so during complex music. There is no sense of congestion. Massed strings sounds like many instruments being played instead of one massive string.

One of these days I need to try out the Benz MC Gold or the AT low output MC but for now I cannot imagine changing out the Grado. I have never had this level of musical enjoyment with the Grado, Benz, or AT through the Fanfare using the Slee PSU1. I think the 110LP is superior over my other three phono preamps with low output cartridges. When the Welborne power supply upgrade arrives I will be curious if a reasonably priced phono stage can be even better.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information