Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Music Hall mmf 5.1

God, I posted this in the general section but I thought that all you analog-heads would want to marvel at its beauty. Just love this table...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Music Hall mmf 5.1-mmf51_front_lg.jpg  

nightflier
    I auditioned both the MMF5 and the MMF7 and the later was quieter and so I bought it. Back then it was also considerably less. I don't know how the 5.1 compares to the 7.1, though.

I have an MMF-5. I drool just a bit over the 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I auditioned both the MMF5 and the MMF7 and the later was quieter and so I bought it. Back then it was also considerably less. I don't know how the 5.1 compares to the 7.1, though.

Wow, lucky you, an MMF7. I simply don't have the doe-ra-mi...

How about the 2.2, chubbs?

I think black gloss makes everything look better...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I think black gloss makes everything look better...
    Indeed it does.

I auditioned the 5 awhile back when I considered getting into vinyl. To these ears it sounded mighty fine...I'm sure the 5.1 is outstanding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    How about the 2.2, chubbs?
    I don't know noob. Do you think its worth it? I always felt if I would get a MH table, I would do it right. We both know the 2.2 is the ghetto version. Sure, a fine table but I would rather chip in the difference to a 5.1. However, I've never auditioned or even heard a live sampling of the 2.2. OK, insert noob-isms here....

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I don't know noob. Do you think its worth it? I always felt if I would get a MH table, I would do it right. We both know the 2.2 is the ghetto version. Sure, a fine table but I would rather chip in the difference to a 5.1. However, I've never auditioned or even heard a live sampling of the 2.2. OK, insert noob-isms here....
    Yeah...I hear ya. If you're gonna do it, might as well do it right. There's a 2.2, new in box, on Audiogon for $300. But still...no use buying something that you know for sure isn't going to be what you want. In the Music Hall, Rega and Pro-Ject world, the lowest models are like when Sutter Home is on the wine list at a nice restaurant. The people at the next table ordered the Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Hahaha, nice analogy...have you ever heard a HK table? I have a T35C...the T60C is pretty sweet. These are like the 2.2, made for a peasant like me.

Go with the 5.1 and later upgrade the Cartridge and you will have a great TT. I'm considering the MH 5.1 SE or the 7.1 with in the next year. I also like the Pro-Ject RM5-SE.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Ha...2&category=351

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...2&category=352
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

nightflier
    Ah, yes the cartridge. I was auditioning the tables with the default cartridge, and the MM7 came with a Goldring Eroica MC which was very good. The MMF5 had a MM cartridge, but I don't remember what it was. I later upgraded to a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM which was much better, even though it was MM (something I had not expected, so that was a pleasant surprise). Unfortunately, the cantilever broke on the Clearaudio and I never bothered to have it repaired so now the Eroica is back in. For an included cartridge it is still very good.

The MMF5.1 ships with the Goldring GL-2200 MM, and the 7.1 ships with a Goldring GL-2400 MM (which is also on the MMF5.1se). I am actually surprised that the MMF7.1 costs almost $400 more than the previous model and ships with a MM cartridge. Now I haven't heard it, but that's something to think about too. Maybe you could score a good deal on a used MMF7 with the Eroica?

If you buy new, Needle Doctor will let you purchase the 7.1 without a cartridge, and they might offer this on the 5.1 or 5.1se if you ask. I'd say start with the included cartridge, and when you can upgrade that later and when you do, go for a MC.

When I upgrade from my PS-x45 to a better turntable should I keep my Shure M97xE cartridge. I know it is all based on what I get, comes with/without a cartridge, so on and so forth. I guess I'm just curious to know at what price point of a TT (if there is one) I should move away from the M97xE cartridge for something better?

The MMF5 had a MM cartridge, but I don't remember what it was.
    The Goldring 1012GX.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    When I upgrade from my PS-x45 to a better turntable should I keep my Shure M97xE cartridge. I know it is all based on what I get, comes with/without a cartridge, so on and so forth. I guess I'm just curious to know at what price point of a TT (if there is one) I should move away from the M97xE cartridge for something better?
    It's all subjective, but I think the M97xE is a very decent cartridge. If you're around the $400-500 range, like the MMF-2.2, the P1, the Debut III, etc...I think that's the level of quality to be expected. However, I'd be more inclined to try something that doesn't roll off the highs as much.

I quite agree with noob. In terms of price point, it's not here or there. You'd be looking at the high end range before the cart would be of a real serious concern. Your Shure is great and will compliment many different tables.

For me, it's about getting a cart that compliments the table's tendencies, while giving my ear what it wants. I'm still a long way from being "experienced" in this regard. There are so many great carts and tables out there, certainly not enough time or money.

If you plan to sell or trade the Sony, the Shure will be the strongest selling point, so you may want to package them out. If you're not worried about that, or plan to keep it, try the Shure on your upgrade. Glad you're enjoying yourself Adam...BTW, have you picked up any vinyl of interest?

The reason I ask, and I know it is all subjective, but I think you both answered my question pretty well, is that when i upgrade I am aiming at the $1500 price range and wonder, get a TT and ToneArm w/o a cartridge and use the Sure M97xE or get a TT Arm Cartridge all in one go.

Thanks for the value range though, it will help me plan.

The only vinyl I'm proud of owning at this point is My Bloody Valentine 'Loveless'.

The reason I ask, and I know it is all subjective, but I think you both answered my question pretty well, is that when i upgrade I am aiming at the $1500 price range and wonder, get a TT and ToneArm w/o a cartridge and use the Sure M97xE or get a TT Arm Cartridge all in one go.

Thanks for the value range though, it will help me plan.

The only vinyl I'm proud of owning at this point is My Bloody Valentine 'Loveless'.
    Getting a turntable with a tonearm is one thing, but with a cartridge is another. Turntables have their own sound, so you'll need to make decisions on whether you like Music Hall, Pro-Ject, Rega and the like or maybe Clearaudio, VPI and such. There's different styles. There's the same decisions to be made for cartridges and there's decisions about technical issues, like output voltage, stylus shape, etc. Now if you buy a turntable with the cartridge, it seems like it might be harder to get just the right combination.

Good points noob.

I am going to have to do more research. I'm thinking, maybe, go for a lower priced TT - and a better pre-amp.

It seems so hard, almost pointless, to audition equipment in retailer store when so much will just change when you get it home. Almost worth just buying on a hunch, listening, figuring out, moving on after that. Seems to the only way to learn is to have something to listen to over time. Learn what you like, don't like, of that equipment, and moving on to something different after learning a bassline.

I agree with you on all of that. I bought my MMF-5 without having heard one...also bought a Bellari VP129, a Pro-Ject Tube Box and a PS Audio GCPH without having heard any of them.

If you buy stuff that can be resold, you're not out much after your extended audition. With the equipment I've sold, I usually approximately break even.

I'm thinking, maybe, go for a lower priced TT - and a better pre-amp.

Its funny, I almost edited my last post to include some after thoughts on pre amps. You're on the right track Adam.

I am using a Bellari and a Shure right now. Both have unique sounds that I rely on heavily. I have been saving and researching for a really good tube pre. Pro-ject Tube Box has been calling me. I have heard several and let me tell you it adds some real life to the sound. I would suggest trying out a mid range pre with your Sony. Use Amazon and just send it back, this way you can home audition a bunch and get a good feel for pre's before you upgrade. It's old and not the most ideal but I love my Shure!!

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups...pro_m65_ug.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  

nightflier
    PS, Needle Doctor has an open-box buy on a flawless Rega P2 w/o cart. for $460:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10177/.f

PS, Needle Doctor has an open-box buy on a flawless Rega P2 w/o cart. for $460:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10177/.f
    Great find flier! UNfortunately, I have no cash right now for that, and, there's a Rega dealer in my city, they won't step on a dealer's toes. LOL, did you see the wall bracket for 180.00?? Oh man, give me 90.00 and I'll build you a better one. Hopefully someone will take advantage of this deal...

nightflier
    Poppa, I've been meaning to mention this earlier, but your avatar scares me.

Poppa, I've been meaning to mention this earlier, but your avatar scares me.
    ...and so it should. MMMMMMWWWWWWWHHHHHAAAAHAHAHAHhahahahahahaha....... .

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    At the price of the 2.2, I doubt its the ghetto version. What makes it the ghetto version, anyways?

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information