Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
    Guess who received a Rega P2 today ? Guess...come on....

That's right, moi ! It's beautiful, especially with its glass platter ! It actually came yesterday, but the stupid ass UPS guy went to the wrong building with the same apt. # ! I was so pissed, when I tracked it, to find that it said first attempt failed. I was like "whaaat ?" I was home all day waiting for it !

My door guy said he went to the wrong bldg ! Aaaanyway, I was out getting something at the store just now, and on my way back in, I saw the UPS guy, and decided to have a lil' chat, and pick up my package. So here I am, hungry as hell, and only concerned with one thing... My Rega ! It's really quite nice, and I can't wait until I pick up the cartridge. Which one though, is still up for debate. I might just get the Rega Bias 2, unless someone here has something to say about that ?

Doug
    I have never owned a Rega cartridge but you will not have any vertical tracking angle problems. They should work well together since they are designed by the same company. Let us know haw they sound. I remember 7 years ago how happy I was when I picked up my Rega. Enjoy you made an excellent choice.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Thank you John, I'm really looking foward towards putting it together and hooking it up. The receiver STILL isn't in stock, so I have no idea how long I'll have to wait.

There's something I found to be very interesting though, as I took the deck out of the wrapping.... Seeing as how the deck comes with built in RCA connectors, I really started to wonder about the validity of using "quality" interconnects. I mean, if using these standard RCA type connectors is fine for a decent quality deck, which is made by a pretty reputable company.... see my point ?

I'm sure that someone will have some "smart" answer, but I'm still curious to hear it. Also, aside from the VTA adjustments (which I might not have to mess with should i get the rega cart), what other set up things should I look foward to doing, and where might I find a very detailed guide for noobs, to do it all ?

Regards,
    Doug

Thank you John, I'm really looking foward towards putting it together and hooking it up. The receiver STILL isn't in stock, so I have no idea how long I'll have to wait.

There's something I found to be very interesting though, as I took the deck out of the wrapping.... Seeing as how the deck comes with built in RCA connectors, I really started to wonder about the validity of using "quality" interconnects. I mean, if using these standard RCA type connectors is fine for a decent quality deck, which is made by a pretty reputable company.... see my point ?

I'm sure that someone will have some "smart" answer, but I'm still curious to hear it. Also, aside from the VTA adjustments (which I might not have to mess with should i get the rega cart), what other set up things should I look foward to doing, and where might I find a very detailed guide for noobs, to do it all ?

Regards,
    Doug
    One thing with the Rega is that the only way to make VTA adjustments is with spacers. If you use their cartridge you will never have to adjust for it. Now for vertical tracking force you may need a Shure tracking force scale which will cost about $20.00. Another item I like to use with my Rega is the Mo Fi GeoDisc to set overhang and tangency. You received a paper template with the table for Rega's reccomended overhang which is designed to minimize distortion at the innermost grooves. The GeoDisc uses Baerwalds formula for low distortion at two points and I find the sound superior with the GeoDisc. The GeoDisc costs about $50.00. It is always a good idea to recheck tracking force after you have adjusted the cartridge. Once you align and mount the cartridge and adjust tracking force you will have it ready. The Rega instructions will get the table up and playing and my suggestions are fine tuning that you may want to do later.

The table has fixed cables and the only way to change them is to rewire the tonearm. The basic cables are fine and the main reason I rewired my tonearm is because I broke one of the cartridge clips. There was an improvement but not night and day. The stock table is very good and will bring you years of pleasure.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Doug here are two places for free cartridge and turntable set-up info. www.needledoctor.com and click on their info link and you will find a link for ttable and cart set-up. Also look at www.turntablebasics.com and go to their advice page. Both of these should help give you more information.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Guess who received a Rega P2 today ? Guess...come on....

That's right, moi ! It's beautiful, especially with its glass platter ! It actually came yesterday, but the stupid ass UPS guy went to the wrong building with the same apt. # ! I was so pissed, when I tracked it, to find that it said first attempt failed. I was like "whaaat ?" I was home all day waiting for it !

My door guy said he went to the wrong bldg ! Aaaanyway, I was out getting something at the store just now, and on my way back in, I saw the UPS guy, and decided to have a lil' chat, and pick up my package. So here I am, hungry as hell, and only concerned with one thing... My Rega ! It's really quite nice, and I can't wait until I pick up the cartridge. Which one though, is still up for debate. I might just get the Rega Bias 2, unless someone here has something to say about that ?

Doug
    Congrats, Sweet! I'm sure you did the right thing by climbing out of the muck that is the $300 price range, even if you have to eat canned tuna for a while.

Waitin' on UPS can be a scary ordeal. My old address had the same street number as the local high school two blocks up. UPS delivered my first dvd player to that jungle! I'm lucky I got it back.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Damn I was almost thinking of getting the P2 but if it doesn't include a cartridge that might be stretching me too far. Even if it came with a crappy one as least I'd be able to get started and replace it later.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Seems music direct is out of P2s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information