Marantz Model 6100 TT. Please help.

Hello to all the Wax Brothers, I have recently purchased this 70's Marantz Model 6100 TT for $3 at a thrift store. I purchased this unit for me to listen to 45's because I don't like to touch my main table's belt with my greasy fingers; plus I'm curious to hear what this vintage gear can produce. This table seems to work fine, except the belt is ripped. Can anybody tell me the size of belt I need? I know that I can it order online, but $10-20 plus shipping is not very inviting for a student's income. I have measured the ripped belt and it read around 27". I'm thinking either 24 or 25 since the belt has stretched over time (I'm assuming this, so please don't try to murder me with words on replies), but an inch is very crucial. So if anybody can inform me on this, much thanks to you all. Happy Listening. Pz

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Hello to all the Wax Brothers, I have recently purchased this 70's Marantz Model 6100 TT for $3 at a thrift store. I purchased this unit for me to listen to 45's because I don't like to touch my main table's belt with my greasy fingers; plus I'm curious to hear what this vintage gear can produce. This table seems to work fine, except the belt is ripped. Can anybody tell me the size of belt I need? I know that I can it order online, but $10-20 plus shipping is not very inviting for a student's income. I have measured the ripped belt and it read around 27". I'm thinking either 24 or 25 since the belt has stretched over time (I'm assuming this, so please don't try to murder me with words on replies), but an inch is very crucial. So if anybody can inform me on this, much thanks to you all. Happy Listening. Pz
    I bought a Marantz 6100 a couple of years ago. I got a new belt for it here:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php

Just tell'em the make and model and they'll set you up!

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    I bought a Marantz 6100 a couple of years ago. I got a new belt for it here:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php

Just tell'em the make and model and they'll set you up!

Thanks for your reply, I decided to just cough-up $10-15 for a belt. After all it's just a price for a good used LP.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Another good place to shop for turntable belts and supplies is www.turntablebasics.com.

Does anybody know if there is a pitch control on this table or how I can adjust it? I used the strobe disk and it reads about 3% slower; of course for this everything sounds a bit retarded. Thank you guys in advance for replies.

Think that table has an AC motor. No electronic speed adjustment.

A belt that is too worn, loose or even too tight will slow the table down. A center bearing that needs lubrication can also slow the speed down. If the motor pulley has a wider spot in the middle, you can sometimes speed the table up a bit by loosening the pulley and sliding it on the motor shaft so that the belt rides closer to the widest part. It may just ride on the lowest part and change position on the platter though. The edges wear down on an older belt. Also, it stretches and becomes narrower causing it to ride on a different part of the motor pulley (and may be slipping a little bit also). A new belt might set things right. Be sure to clean the motor pulley also. If all else fails you can wrap the motor pully with a few layers of electrical tape to bring the speed up.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    Think that table has an AC motor. No electronic speed adjustment.

A belt that is too worn, loose or even too tight will slow the table down. A center bearing that needs lubrication can also slow the speed down. If the motor pulley has a wider spot in the middle, you can sometimes speed the table up a bit by loosening the pulley and sliding it on the motor shaft so that the belt rides closer to the widest part. It may just ride on the lowest part and change position on the platter though. The edges wear down on an older belt. Also, it stretches and becomes narrower causing it to ride on a different part of the motor pulley (and may be slipping a little bit also). A new belt might set things right. Be sure to clean the motor pulley also. If all else fails you can wrap the motor pully with a few layers of electrical tape to bring the speed up.

Thanks for your advice. I tried just about everything, but I couldn't get it to work within 3% of the speed. I'll just use this table to clean records with. $22 belt for a $3 table seems ridiculus, but this is very handy and effective for cleaning records. I cannot afford a Nitty Gritty so this will do just fine.

I buy my belts here. You need to measure, but you save some $. http://www.iglou.com/studiosound/belts.htm#FBL (all the way at the bottom)

I've heard you're supposed to subtract about 5% from the measurement of an old, stretched belt to find the correct size for the new belt. Using this formula and your measurement of 27" on the old belt, you should be looking for about a 26" belt. Studio Sound's largest belt is 25". I think that will probably work fine because it sounds like your old belt may be in especially stretched / bad condition. If your belt is stretched to the point where there is no tension at all until you pull it very close to the motor pulley, you might even want to try a size smaller. Maybe one of each.

The belts are only $3.29, but there is a $1.50 charge for orders under $5.00. Shipping is $3.50.

One belt will cost you $8.29 shipped
    Two belts $10.08 shipped

If that table is in good condition otherwise, I think it's worth putting a new belt into. Marantz 6100s sell for around $50.00 on eBay (and probably need new belts). The new belt will very likely fix your problem. If it doesn't, you'll have more torque for cleaning your records

Don't underestimate the value of good rubber parts in the drive system. I worked on a rim-drive turntable a while back that ran slow (although it ran steady, the drive wasn't obviously slipping) and didn't have enough torque to operate the automatic function without stopping. All I did was sand lightly around the edges of the rubber idler wheel. The table ran at perfect speed and had so much torque I couldn't even stop the platter with my hand!!! (good ol' early 60s Garrard)
    Last edited by royphil345; 06-17-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Thread Information