Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    I agree....What can you gather from that last table?

And this one it seems has a modified Rega Arm as well.

I do not think it is a Rega arm but more a Jelco. Similar to the Linn Axis tonearm.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Here's the TD 290's apparent Pro-Ject brother...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ah...thats a 2 Xperience TT alright.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    not my TT but my most recent "2 channel" customer
    Transrotor Leonardo 25/25/60 with Parasound Halo JC3, P3, A21, D3 and KEF 201/2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see pictures of your Deck-imag0030.jpg  

Linear Guy

Money for eng.

Catalog engineering is a sign of the times and does not reflect badly on Thorens except their entry level tables are too expensive and not original looking in my opinion.
    The TD 309 sure is an interesting table however. The Celearaudio concept is also a nice industrial design job at around the same price. How do they really sound? I was left cold by the reviews of both tables in Stereophile. I've got my eye on the MMF 9.1 for a future purchase. Big, heavy , relatively unattractive but might be the best sounding at the high end entry point. I know this subject has been covered a thousand times but given the current crop of tables in the 1.5K -2K range, what do you guys think?

cheers, dk

Quote Originally Posted by daviethek View Post
    Catalog engineering is a sign of the times and does not reflect badly on Thorens except their entry level tables are too expensive and not original looking in my opinion.
    The TD 309 sure is an interesting table however. The Celearaudio concept is also a nice industrial design job at around the same price. How do they really sound? I was left cold by the reviews of both tables in Stereophile. I've got my eye on the MMF 9.1 for a future purchase. Big, heavy , relatively unattractive but might be the best sounding at the high end entry point. I know this subject has been covered a thousand times but given the current crop of tables in the 1.5K -2K range, what do you guys think?

cheers, dk
    Well firstly I like the MMF-9.1 as well as the Pro-Ject 9.2 and 10.1. And they all do sound very nice. Secondly, I dont think they are unattractive at all. Thirdly you may also consider the Rega P-5 which is on sale at $1009, as well as the MMF-7.1, Clearaudio Concept,Origin Live Aurora MKII , Pro-Ject PerspeX ,Pro-Ject 2 Xperience , Sota Satellite and Comet are a few you may consider.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

If I were shopping for something around this range I think I'd be hard-pressed to beat the Rega P5 or the VPI Scout. If I were looking at Music Hall, for some reason I feel like the MMF-7.1 may be the sweet spot for them. I really like frenchmon's list, except that I prefer Clearaudio's Emotion over the Concept.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see pictures of your Deck-emotion-se_001.jpg  

Oh I forgot about the Marantz TT 15S1...and looking at the Emotion above reminded me.....They are down to $1495.

Also keep in mind, not every one likes the sound of every TT listed here or else where. Some love certain TT's while hating other TT's. So its up to you to seek to take a listen to what ever TT you can before purchase. For instance....The Marantz table was disliked by some at another forum...I've listened to the Marantz at least 3 times and each time I thought it was great.

frenchmon...would you say the Marantz comes off a little lean? With the one forum member I've seen disappointed with his Marantz, I get the idea he likes a bit thicker sound...sort of a closet vintage fan, maybe...which would be a little ironic, since he's an outspoken advocate of modern gear in a decidedly vintage-dominated forum.

Linear Guy
    [QUOTE=frenchmon;369426]Oh I forgot about the Marantz TT 15S1...and looking at the Emotion above reminded me.....They are down to $1495.

Thanks Frenchmon. the guys at Music Direct make a strong case for the Marantz and the 9.1. I will plan some auditions during my trips to larger towns this year
    ( Chicago and Las Vegas).

Isn't it a shame that we have to go through so much just to audition equipment. There is only one high-end dealer in pittsburgh and he handles only Nottingham. His gear is actually dusty from non-use. He sells home theatre almost exclusively.
    The vinyl revolution has skipped a few areas of the country.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    [QUOTE=daviethek;369442]
    Oh I forgot about the Marantz TT 15S1...and looking at the Emotion above reminded me.....They are down to $1495.

Thanks Frenchmon. the guys at Music Direct make a strong case for the Marantz and the 9.1. I will plan some auditions during my trips to larger towns this year

Isn't it a shame that we have to go through so much just to audition equipment. There is only one high-end dealer in pittsburgh and he handles only Nottingham. His gear is actually dusty from non-use. He sells home theatre almost exclusively.

Yes 15 years ago I would never have purchased equipment unheard. Now I read reviews on products and try to make a decision. I bought the Krell based on reviews and that worked out well. I heard the MA RS6's at an audio store and I finally have them sounding very good. Ordered the Grado Statement Sonata and happy it is sounding so good. Never had a chance to hear a wood bodied Grado but from a few reviews I thought it would be nice in my system. I have thought about vacationing in a city with many audio shops. I have been lucky so far but I would not want to risk it again. Any more money spent will only be after auditioning.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    frenchmon...would you say the Marantz comes off a little lean? With the one forum member I've seen disappointed with his Marantz, I get the idea he likes a bit thicker sound...sort of a closet vintage fan, maybe...which would be a little ironic, since he's an outspoken advocate of modern gear in a decidedly vintage-dominated forum.
    IF by lean you mean as in light weight or thin, no I never got that impression...My most vivid memory of the Marantz.....it was being driven by a expensive McIntosh integrated amp and some Klipsch Palladium Floorstanding Speaker I think P-38F models at $6000 each. Sounded great.

[QUOTE=daviethek;369442]

I've never listened to a Nottingham tabe, but I have heard wonderful things about those tables.....if he is not selling them but letting them collect dust, you may be able to haggle a price from him.

[QUOTE=daviethek;369442]

By me having a 7.1.....I know the 9.1 will be a very good option. I just love the musicality and pace of the 7.1...it its always dead on as far as speed, and im still using a $99 cart and running it through a on board phono amp. Once I get a much better cart and dedicated phono amp im sure I will be speechless.

The Marantz to my ears, will not be a bad choice either. But I can speak with confidence about the 9.1 because of the 7.1

Good luck! And keep us updated of your findings.

Cheers.

IF by lean you mean as in light weight or thin, no I never got that impression...My most vivid memory of the Marantz.....it was being driven by a expensive McIntosh integrated amp and some Klipsch Palladium Floorstanding Speaker I think P-38F models at $6000 each. Sounded great.
    Yes...I suppose I mean the kind of turntable that has the detail but not the weight. I've been sort of puzzled why JohnVF at the other forum doesn't like his. I sometimes consider Clearaudio and VPI, but in the end I figure it's probably either Rega, Pro-Ject or Music Hall for me. They just fit my system so well.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    Yes...I suppose I mean the kind of turntable that has the detail but not the weight. I've been sort of puzzled why JohnVF at the other forum doesn't like his. I sometimes consider Clearaudio and VPI, but in the end I figure it's probably either Rega, Pro-Ject or Music Hall for me. They just fit my system so well.

Yeah...when the statements where made, I was sorta surprised as well...that was not my experience.

Well noob, I can say I'm perfectly happy with the 7.1 and hope to be for a long time. Shoot, your advise to me to hold off on a new cart right away was some of the best info about audio I've gotten in a long time.

[QUOTE=daviethek;369442]

Daviethek...if you are thinking about the Marantz table...here is a good deal.

Marantz TT-15S1 Reference Series Turntable

Also look here.

Music Hall MMF-9.1 Turntable Without Cartridge

There are a lot of nice decks in this thread!

I restarted my Vinyl engine as well by buying a thousand records of mostly classical and some hundreds rock albums as well as some of my favorites on the MFSL label. Then i bought an Audiomeca Romance with the Romeo arm and Grado Platinium Reference Wood MM Systems. But it did not sound too well, although i attribute that partially to my lack of analog understanding at the time.

Now i use a Watec Analog Drive 5 with a Ortofon MC Rondo Red Catridge with 100 ohm phono loading on the Convergent Audio SL 1 MK II.

Here is a pic of it.

Lots of music but not enough time for it all

You wanta try again with the pic's?

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Yeah I'm getting two red X's and no pictures.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

How come? I can see them just fine. Can you describe the technical trouble your having, it helps me on the analysis.

Thanks
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    I have a MMF 5 like the one pictured only mine has a AT150MLX, the Golding was too bland even with a 1042 needle. I also just bought A rega RP 1 for the "dungeon" where I keep the computer. Haven't got an account at a photo share site yet but images of them can be found on line. The New Rega has a AT120E in it and sounds sweet. The OM5e that came with it had a hum near the end of the record.That AT cart,pre amp,(Rega Fono Mini )and bi amped Polk speakers all go up to 25K. Ive heard that enhances the musicality even though its above the hearing range of humans. The MMF5 is playing through some BI AMPED Klipsh Icon floorstanding Speakers with a lower high end. I use a Belari vacuum pre amp to warm up the sound. I love them both.

I was thinking in investing in a MMF-5 for a back up deck (or dual wielding) and that looks like the best bang for the buck. I have doubts about the arm. Does anyone have any more insight into this deck. I just bought a new OM body ($20, thanks Brooks Berdan) for my Ortofon OM-20 and I have been listening to it lately and I forgot how good that cartridge is; I am not missing my Denon MC's right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    I was thinking in investing in a MMF-5 for a back up deck (or dual wielding) and that looks like the best bang for the buck. I have doubts about the arm. Does anyone have any more insight into this deck. I just bought a new OM body ($20, thanks Brooks Berdan) for my Ortofon OM-20 and I have been listening to it lately and I forgot how good that cartridge is; I am not missing my Denon MC's right now.
    The Pro-Ject tonearms like those used on the MMF-5 are better than many people seem to realize. It's actually the strong point. I had an MMF-5 for a while and liked it very well. I could have still been happy with it, but felt like trying something a little higher up in the world...mostly just to try it...but ultimately was quite pleased with where I landed.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information