• 07-14-2011, 05:16 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    I gave the Rotel a turn playing Karla Bonoff's self-titled album with the main system just now. It seemed to be pulling its weight just fine.

Wow flashbacks tonight. I saw Karla Bonoff opening for Jackson Browne years ago. Good show. The Rotel needs a noise free environment to sound it's best. Turn off any digital equipment and avoid flourecent lights and dimmers. If you have any noise filtering I would plug the Rotel into it.
  • 07-15-2011, 01:56 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

I gave the Rotel a turn playing Karla Bonoff's self-titled album with the main system just now. It seemed to be pulling its weight just fine. The closed-in characteristics that were present with the Technics/Digitrac/Rotel combo were not present when the P5/10X4 was connected to the Rotel. The Rotel holds its own, without excessively coloring the sound. It had an oddly distracting tiny sizzle on the highs that I could probably get used to. Other than that, overall a nice addition to the system.

Nice to hear that. I may some day get one just to compare it to the onboard on on the 1090.
  • 07-15-2011, 04:26 PM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Any body want to be first? Lets see pictures of your

I was just about to upload a pick and then I realized there was an 'e' in Deck... My bad... Guess I'll have to wait till I get a TT to post...
  • 07-16-2011, 02:04 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    I was just about to upload a pick and then I realized there was an 'e' in Deck... My bad... Guess I'll have to wait till I get a TT to post...

Boy...you nasty! Glad you realized your mistake....:crazy:
  • 07-23-2011, 01:56 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Got this retip job back from Soundsmith, yesterday. Figured it deserved a spot in frenchmon's photo thread, even though it might not get a turn on the P5 for a little while yet.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/...1494eeae_b.jpg

I just checked on the price of a retip through NeedleDoctor and the Benz MC Gold is now $325 up from $250 so my Gold will be going to Soundsmith. Your retip looks very good and seems to be a good value. The original Benz stylus is not a nude stylus and I think the lower mass will improve the sound. I am not sure if I will step up to the ruby/line contact combination. It would still be cheaper than the retip/exchange Benz. Of course I would probably not mount it in a long while since I am still pleased with the AT F7.
  • 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I just checked on the price of a retip through NeedleDoctor and the Benz MC Gold is now $325 up from $250 so my Gold will be going to Soundsmith. Your retip looks very good and seems to be a good value. The original Benz stylus is not a nude stylus and I think the lower mass will improve the sound. I am not sure if I will step up to the ruby/line contact combination. It would still be cheaper than the retip/exchange Benz. Of course I would probably not mount it in a long while since I am still pleased with the AT F7.

I agree it's good value. I stayed with the elliptical tip and aluminum cantilever to try to match the Dynavector's original build. I am curious about the ruby but I was even more curious about the original 10X4 sound.
  • 08-08-2011, 10:53 AM
    Brett A
    4 Attachment(s)
    Here's my main 'table. It's a Well Tempered Redord Player mounted with an Audio Technica AT OC9 MLII (running into a mod'ed Jolida JD9)
  • 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
    frenchmon
    Just wonderful...nice table.
  • 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM
    Brett A
    Quote:

Just wonderful...nice table.

Thanks!. I'm pretty sure it's the last 'table I'll ever buy. I really love it. It gets out of the way of the music like nothing I'd heard before.
    :wink5:
  • 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
    frenchmon
    Being a Music Hall fan...and owner of a 7.1 with a daul plinth...

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8483/pict0198k.jpg

digging the 9.1 with a triple plinth and after seeing the new Music Hall Signature table with 4 plinths (that has yet to be realeased)...I love the plinth that's on Well Tempered Table. Nice with a triple stack.
  • 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM
    Brett A
    Quote:

Being a Music Hall fan...and owner of a 7.1 with a dual plinth...

digging the 9.1 with a triple plinth and after seeing the new Music Hall Signature table with 4 plinths (that has yet to be released)...I love the plinth that's on Well Tempered Table. Nice with a triple stack.

That's a 'bute! And with the requisite chunk of Magic Eraser too.

My local shop is a Music Hall dealer and they have every model on display (pretty sure). I hope to hear one some day.
  • 08-13-2011, 05:53 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Noob...got the loaner A+ phono cable today. They are not even broken in as of yet. The moment the cart dropped I could hear the improvement. Every faze of the sound has improved. this is the first thing I have done to the table since the purchase about a month and a half ago. It really sounds great. I am taking your advice and not getting a cart...the 2M Black right away but am building around it first.

My next upgrade will be a better platform. I think I have ruled out granite in favour of maple or birch. Noob if you have not invested in a good phono cable, I suggest you do....it will be worth the money. Especially if you get the kinda deal I got. 1 meter list for $410 of the Low Mass Oval Phono Cable from A+...I was able to get it for $240. I was going to go with Ortofon seeing my contact was having a hard time getting a loaner from one of the guys who answers the phone, so he went around the guy and then was he able to secure a loaner. I am glad he did because all my speaker cables and interconnects are A+, and you know how I fell about keeping all my cables the same brand and series. But back to the sound, not only is everything better,but it also sounds like I have better seperation in the instuments. Of course a darker back ground, but what I like most is the midsection being more in focus as well. So for $240 coin, I think its a good deal on a good cable. My dealer said to check it out for two weeks and if I like it, He would get me one....Im sure he wants this one as his demo.

Also picked up a brand new in the box Spin Clean for $60. I think they list for $80. I guess one day I will get one like yours, but for now this will do.

Still can't understand why they make the ground so big?

http://www.analysis-plus.com/images/...sPhonsmall.jpg

fenchmon

frenchmon I have a question about your turntable. I was looking at the manual that comes with it and it showed two RCA plugs on the back. Is the wire leading to the RCA's able to be unplugged from the tonearm base. I was not sure how that tonearm cable could work unless there was that connection at the tonearm base?
  • 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

frenchmon I have a question about your turntable. I was looking at the manual that comes with it and it showed two RCA plugs on the back. Is the wire leading to the RCA's able to be unplugged from the tonearm base. I was not sure how that tonearm cable could work unless there was that connection at the tonearm base?

If I am understanding you correctly and the point to which you are driving....No you cant unplug from the arm base....lest you disablement the box that the rca plugs are attached to.

The picture actually shows to different connector offerings depending on which connection the table/preamp requires....one is a RCA connection at both ends the other a DIN connection at one end and RCA at the other as the picture shows.

Hope I am understanding you correctly?
  • 08-13-2011, 06:32 PM
    frenchmon
    As beautiful as the Well Tempered is, every time I see it, the design of it keeps reminding me of a Music Hall/ Clear Audio table. It has something to do with the plinth and the tone arm.
  • 08-13-2011, 06:35 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

If I am understanding you correctly and the point to which you are driving....No you cant unplug from the arm base....lest you disablement the box that the rca plugs are attached to.

The picture actually shows to different connector offerings depending on which connection the table/preamp requires....one is a RCA connection at both ends the other a DIN connection at one end and RCA at the other as the picture shows.

Hope I am understanding you correctly?

Yes you are. I have been looking for another table and I thought by your picture showing the din plug the arm had several options for a way to wire. When I shop for products I tend to read the manuals because they may tell you more than ad copy. If it had a din plug I thought maybe the arm could be removed and tried on a different table.
  • 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Yes you are. I have been looking for another table and I thought by your picture showing the din plug the arm had several options for a way to wire. When I shop for products I tend to read the manuals because they may tell you more than ad copy. If it had a din plug I thought maybe the arm could be removed and tried on a different table.

My Man! Its fun shopping for audio gear. Good for you!
  • 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM
    frenchmon
  • 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM
    frenchmon
    The new Oracle Paris has teh Carbon Fiber arm as well. Its looks like the Pro Ject Evo arm

http://www.oracle-audio.com/imagesup...franco_ted.jpg

http://www.oracle-audio.com/imagesup...s_dsc06336.jpg

This one looks like a 10 cc?
  • 08-14-2011, 08:23 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Being a Music Hall fan...and owner of a 7.1 with a daul plinth...

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8483/pict0198k.jpg

digging the 9.1 with a triple plinth and after seeing the new Music Hall Signature table with 4 plinths (that has yet to be realeased)...I love the plinth that's on Well Tempered Table. Nice with a triple stack.

Hey Frenchie, What do you use on your plinth to keep it so shiny and clean? Even with the dust cover, the dust finds a way to get in there on mine. Thanks, Jack
  • 08-14-2011, 08:38 AM
    frenchmon
    Actually..I dust it off with the white gloves that came with it. Thats about it. Not much dust in my two channel room....now if you ask about static on my vinyl, thats a different story. I think its because of my sound treatment on the walls and carpet on the floor.
  • 08-14-2011, 09:32 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Actually..I dust it off with the white gloves that came with it. Thats about it. Not much dust in my two channel room....now if you ask about static on my vinyl, thats a different story. I think its because of my sound treatment on the walls and carpet on the floor.

You're lucky, I have to dust in my audio room at least twice a week. I vacuum once a week, but I only have a 8ft x 6ft area rug in there. I have one window that I never open and central air so I don't know where the dust comes from. Oh God, I sound like my mother.
  • 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM
    02audionoob
    My approach to dust in the audio room is to let sleeping dogs lie. Vacuum cleaners get dust airborne. I do wipe individual areas. When I do finally vacuum, it's only with the machine cleaned out immediately before and with a high-efficiency filter in it. I also use high-quality filters in the central AC.
  • 08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

My approach to dust in the audio room is to let sleeping dogs lie. Vacuum cleaners get dust airborne. I do wipe individual areas. When I do finally vacuum, it's only with the machine cleaned out immediately before and with a high-efficiency filter in it. I also use high-quality filters in the central AC.

I had a high quality filter on the heater and the heater guy who comes to clean it once a year told me to watch the real high end filter as they restrict the air flow too much. Maybe I need a whole house air purifier? What kind of filters do you use noob?
  • 08-14-2011, 10:14 AM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I had a high quality filter on the heater and the heater guy who comes to clean it once a year told me to watch the real high end filter as they restrict the air flow too much. Maybe I need a whole house air purifier? What kind of filters do you use noob?

We have two systems. The main part of the house is old and not built tight so we put an Aprilaire 2400 on it. I use the propriety replacements for it. In the addition where the audio system is, the construction is new and tight, so we have a setup that uses the 1-inch filters. I use the Filtrete filters with the red label ("Better"), which are one down from the one they call "Best".
  • 08-14-2011, 11:46 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    You're lucky, I have to dust in my audio room at least twice a week. I vacuum once a week, but I only have a 8ft x 6ft area rug in there. I have one window that I never open and central air so I don't know where the dust comes from. Oh God, I sound like my mother.

I use to do heating and cooling. Have you had your ducts cleaned?

Returns suck it in....registers blow it out.