Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    It's an original SL1300 I bought new back in the day. I know folks are not keen on automatics but it cost more than an SL1200 and is pretty much the same TT with some additional parts. I don't think I could give up the auto sit down, return and repeat mode.

Since the JD9 will drive any cart under the sun I'm looking at moving coils. I can get near dealer cost prices on any of Denon MC line. Any recommendations?
    Man you lucky devil you!

Try the Denon 103R...really all of the Denons get good hype. But the
    103R gets very good praise at under the $400 mark.

If you like automatic TT and you want to get a little more performance you should step up to Thorens - TD-295 MKIV

Its semi automatic, has a a few Pro-Ject parts on it and is a great performer. Many audio-files don't like it because of the Pro-Ject parts but if you want quality in a auto-matic of semi-automatic Dual or Thorens is where you gotta go. My vote goes to Thorens...they make some great tables in every price range.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    I see that the Denon 103R tracks at 2.3 - 2.7 g.

Isn't that on the high side which might cause record wear? What do you consider ideal tracking force?

I must have played Billie 20 times this weekend ;-)

I see that the Denon 103R tracks at 2.3 - 2.7 g.

Isn't that on the high side which might cause record wear? What do you consider ideal tracking force?

I must have played Billie 20 times this weekend ;-)
    Yes the Denons are heavy carts. But most guys with Technics seem to be fine with them. I've never owned a Denon so I really cant speak with experience about them or record wear.

My 2M Black is tracking at 1.7 now and Ortofon says 1.5. Music Hall sets their pre-installed Goldrings at 1.5, but recommends to dial it in by ear. from looking at your arm I would think it would have no problem. Is that the original arm?

And on to Billie....man I know, I have just about worn that Album out! I may have to order another...

Her voice is like hypnotism....so engaging. My wife bought me a DVD of the few video's of her and lots of interviews back then from those who knew her and one interview in 1955 with Mike Wallace. Well while listening to one interview, the lady, I forget her name, but she was 22 years old at the time Billie like mid 30's. She was Billies piano player out in Vegas around 1953. She said she stayed in the same hotel room with Billie and that Billie was not shooting up at that time. But she did say she was like Billies maid and that she poured Billies drinks all day and all night long and had to dress her as well. She said it was Vodka that she was drinking.

She went on to say that Billie at this time had the mind of a 12 year old. That she could not even keep an adult conversation. After that interview, there was the Mike Wallace interview with Billie Holiday. That was a very interesting interview because you know Mike Wallace and the type of questions he ask...well he had to make it real simple for Billie. I saw what her young piano player was saying...Billie was like a kid. After the interview with Billie ended, Mike Wallace went on to say that the reason Billie was like the way she was, is because of the beatings that she had taking from her former husbands. She was married 4 times, and just about all them beat her kept her strung out on drugs, and took her money. The first time she got arrested for heroin, the news clipping showed in the Video said that in the three previous years to her arrest, she had made a quarter of a million dollars just singing in clubs, and that by the time she was arrested she was broke for spending on drugs. I would have to assume her husband at that time took her money. Man if you see the Video you would cry. She was such a very beautiful you lady and by the time all the abuse and drugs ate her body and mind up, you would have thought she was 50 or 60 years old. Billie started on Herion very early, like 20 years old, and died at 44 years old....her birth certificate said it was from natural causes. Such a wasted life. Its just to sad. She changed the way people sang back in her day....

Look at this youtube clip of Billie singing with Armstrong. This is at the hight of her carreer, she is aging and around mid too late 20's still a junkie. Man she is beautiful! Billie Holiday - The Blues Are Brewin' - YouTube

Now look at this one two years before she died...at the end of her career singing a song she wrote...drugs and the beatings have taken a toll on her...She looks stoned with the look of a child on her face.

Billie Holiday - Fine And Mellow (Live CBS Studios 1957).avi - YouTube

Oh and by the way...the white guy playing the Baritone sax...thats Garry Mulligan...another well known and reported junkie who was also locked up for herion as well. He may have been loaded on this clip as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

It's an original SL1300 I bought new back in the day. I know folks are not keen on automatics but it cost more than an SL1200 and is pretty much the same TT with some additional parts. I don't think I could give up the auto sit down, return and repeat mode.

Since the JD9 will drive any cart under the sun I'm looking at moving coils. I can get near dealer cost prices on any of Denon MC line. Any recommendations?
    I am really a big fan of Denon carts.

I would imagine the arm on the Technics is low to mid mass? If so, I would recommend the Denon DL-301 MK2 or the 304. Those are really the only sub 500 carts in your compliance category, even when you factor the 10hz doubling of compliancy.

But wait.....you can also try the Audio Technica line as well because their compliancy specs are even higher. The OC9 series and the AT33/32 series are inline with the Denon carts, but they have linear contact styli, which some find more desirable. As far styli with Denons even though they are elliptical they are really well made. I have a Denon-103LC that has a conical stylus and it past every track on the Shure test record so go figure.

Also, look at the mid-fi Ortofon MC line, they are rather high in compliance and have gotten good feedback.
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Enochrome...did you get the PM I sent you?

ISince the JD9 will drive any cart under the sun I'm looking at moving coils. I can get near dealer cost prices on any of Denon MC line. Any recommendations?
    New to MC cartridges? You're in for a treat. The 103 has been a workhorse for a long time I got one back in about 1980 or so. Since then, I've used Accuphase, Shinon and Dynavector. You'll enjoy wider dynamics and a purer top end than what looks like a Shure M97 (I have one of those, too).

While you're modding the phono pre, you might also beef up the B+ caps and bypass them with small film values. I think that the rails run @ 230V for the tube supply, but cannot tell the value. I note the factory adds 4000 uF to the 25V op amp supply in the "3SE" flavor.

The last version of my preamp doubled the capacitance of the 285V supply and gave it better control and punch. You can never overdo power supply stiffness.

Forum Regular

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    New to MC cartridges? You're in for a treat. ...........
    The last version of my preamp doubled the capacitance of the 285V supply and gave it better control and punch. You can never overdo power supply stiffness.
    Gee... That is what my wife told me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mash View Post
    Gee... That is what my wife told me!
    LOL ! Now that you put it that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information