• Don't clean

1 7.14%
  • Don't have LPs

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How clean are your records?

Do you just let the stylus clean them?

Do you have a record-cleaning machine like those guys at AK? Nitty Gritty? VPI? DIY?

Do you buy record cleaning fluids? Mix your own? Secret ingredient?

Or are LPs just too much trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob

Do you have a record-cleaning machine like those guys at AK? Nitty Gritty? VPI? DIY?

Do you buy record cleaning fluids? Mix your own? Secret ingredient?

Or are LPs just too much trouble?
    Don't clean, but then it's impertinent of me to respond because I essentially never listen to the 250 LPs I still own.

On the other hand, 20+ years ago when I did listen to them on a regular basis I handled the meticulously so they didn't get dirty and hence I didn't have to clean them. I almost always Zerostat'd them and swept then with a carbon fiber brush before use. Parenthetically, I always hated this special care and handling of LPs; some people apparently relish it -- kinky masochists that they are.

But likewise my CDs: I have many that are 20+ years old that are not dirty and have never been cleaned. CDs on the other hand are a lot easier to handle -- and more so computer files.

In the day I would clean discs up using a couple of drops of AT Discwasher on a felt brush. This was followed by products made by the company LAST, which kept things up to snuff for a while....Now that my thoughtful dad left my LP's in the garage, I take the discs to the local university's Department of Archaeology....

I've used a VPI HW-16 on my vinyl for twenty five years. It works. Along with buying a few replacement parts for the machine, I purchased some of their packaged cleaner about six months ago. Previously, I made my own from distilled water and a bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol.

rw

I clean most of mine once each because I buy mostly used records. For new media I buy CDs. I included that bit about letting the stylus clean them because that's what the Rega manual says to do...seriously.

I don't clean records that I bought new, since I've taken good care of them and I don't clean records that don't appear to need it. I was given a collection of a few hundred 30- to 40-year-old records that were handled carefully and I haven't cleaned any of those. But I see around the web there are those who clean even a new record, presumably to remove mold-release agents?

Suspended
    Feanor, says he used a carbon fiber brush, are you considering that "cleaning"? I personally do but I'm only asking for clarification.

I have albums I've bought brand new and are in good shape because I was careful with them and always put them away after listening but as a young lad I only used brushes and later graduated to Discwasher. The brush with the fluid bottle in the handle. Some years back I got a VPI and I guess I'm uptown now

I've always heard it was good to clean the record right out of the sealed jacket. But careful handling is the MOST important thing. I have gotten used LP's that have been mirror clean out of my machine but sound like crap because of fine scratches. I just disregard LP's that are too noisy, I won't listen to them.

I wasn't thinking about the light cleaning methods when I asked, but really I'm interested in anyone's cleaning regimen...even though I didn't make the distinction.

I have used Gruv-Glide and the Discwasher fluid in the wooden handle over the years, but have only recently gotten into vigorous cleaning. Now, when I get a used record, I wet-clean and vacuum most of them with a little portable vac I bought specifically for my records. It does a nice job, but occasionally the cleaner record just exposes the fine scratches that much more.

LAST makes a product that is designed specifically as an antimolding agent, 02 (at least, they usta). I often cleaned records as a matter of preventative maintenance. As far as the fine scratches, etc., that's part of the charm, man!

http://www.lastfactory.com/

I use Disc Doctor stuff by hand. But, I am often lazy with new vinyl and only really get into it when I'm buying used stuff that needs a good cleaning. One of these days I tell myself I will by a cleaning machine, but then I always think of something else I could spend all that money on.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    For the past 40 years I've hand cleaned using Discwasher or Audio-Technica fluid. I clean both brand new and used vinyl. I buy only sealed or mint- grade used vinyl.

Ive used just a hand cleaning with some dawn dish soap.

First i would rinse the LP, then wipe it with a foam scrubber(made for dishes-non scratchy) Nice and soapy at this point. Then i take it to the shower head, select the narrow pulsing stream andspray around the grooves until there is no soap left.
    Then immediatly buff dry it with a large towel. Has worked for me in the past.

Some of the LPs ive bought looked unused, those i didnt have to clean. But alot of it does need a cleaning, which im too lazy to partake in....Some day ill feel up to cleaning them. Large task in my mind.
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    ...the reason I am not successful as a politician is because my only platform is to round up those who do not clean their vinyl and systematically segregate them on a small island...

I clean most of mine once each because I buy mostly used records. For new media I buy CDs. I included that bit about letting the stylus clean them because that's what the Rega manual says to do...seriously.

I don't clean records that I bought new, since I've taken good care of them and I don't clean records that don't appear to need it. I was given a collection of a few hundred 30- to 40-year-old records that were handled carefully and I haven't cleaned any of those. But I see around the web there are those who clean even a new record, presumably to remove mold-release agents?
    I'll try and track down a link but I've read about this topic. Residue from factory process can store in the grooves and of course diminish an audiophile stylus...I will follow this up...interesting stuff. Today I was cleaning my records in my underwear and my wife entered the room. I don't have to tell you what happened next. Oh ya, cleaning records, chicks dig it...

I hope you're underwear was clean before you put your records into them, poppa....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I'll try and track down a link but I've read about this topic. Residue from factory process can store in the grooves and of course diminish an audiophile stylus...I will follow this up...interesting stuff. Today I was cleaning my records in my underwear and my wife entered the room. I don't have to tell you what happened next. Oh ya, cleaning records, chicks dig it...
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure where the line is for T M I, but, you crossed it

I think he crossed the line at "underwear" but that's a judgment call.

...Dont want to even ask about his storage rack...!

I've had a Record Doctor RCM for 10 years or so. I recently bought a Jem Dandy. It works even better.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Anyone here have a recipe for a homebrew record-cleaning fluid? I'm currently using about an 8 to 1 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol, with a drop of dishwashing detergent mixed in a 16-ounce bottle. The ratio varies...I'm not precise or consistent, yet. Still experimenting.

I just use a old DiscWasher brush and homemade fluid. I'll lightly brush dry intially, then followed up with a wet spin. Finally I'll brush one last time with the damp brush and let dry for a couple of moments before playing the LP.

The stylus on my AT440Mla rides a little deeper in the groove than most tips which is great for used LPs that may be worn along the regular stylus tracking line.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Anyone here have a recipe for a homebrew record-cleaning fluid
    Here's a link with a few home brews.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Here's a link with a few home brews.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html
    Interesting stuff. Everyone's mix is lower on the water than mine. I'll have to adjust significantly on the next bottle and see how it goes. I may try a different wetting agent, too, but so far generic dishwashing detergent seems to git 'er done.

Interesting stuff. Everyone's mix is lower on the water than mine. I'll have to adjust significantly on the next bottle and see how it goes. I may try a different wetting agent, too, but so far generic dishwashing detergent seems to git 'er done.

I just whipped up a bottle of cleaner. I have never used dish soap so I tried a couple of "drops". Basically 3 to 1 water/alcohol and the soap. The result was horrible, suds all over the place. I remixed, this time with only one tiny drop of soap, I still got suds.

This can't be good for the record. Without a rinse, the soap will surely dry in the grooves. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I went back to my trusty mix of 3 to 1 and Herbie Hancock has never sounded so good...

What was the total quantity of the bottle? The soap isn't there to soap the record. It's to break up the surface tension of the water.

What was the total quantity of the bottle? The soap isn't there to soap the record. It's to break up the surface tension of the water.

21oz distilled water to 7oz isopropyl alcohol...Dawn lemon scent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information