Forum Regular

How to clean vinyls records.

Hi,
    I'm kind of new to this forum, and this question might have been posted previously. I'm resuscitating my old vinyl collection, and would like to know the best way….if there's one...to clean them. They have been sitting around for quite some time.

Regards,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tony_abreu
    Hi,
    I'm kind of new to this forum, and this question might have been posted previously. I'm resuscitating my old vinyl collection, and would like to know the best way….if there's one...to clean them.
    The best way is to use a record cleaning machine like a VPI 16.5. I bought mine back in the '83 before CDs were the norm. Short of that, buy a good carbon fiber brush and some record cleaning fluid.

rw

Welcome to AudioReview.

About how many records do you have? And will you be willing to spend decent amount of cash to restore your ol collection?

Wet cleaningw/ Record Cleaning Machine (RCM) is the only way to go. If this can be arranged, then I suggest getting Mobile Fidielity Brush. This is the best LP cleaning brush I have ever tried. But I would not suggest it, if you wont be using plenty of cleaning fluid to scrub with.

If not, there are plenty of damp cleaning solutions. LAST products seem to be popular, but I find them to be very expensive for what it does, especially in a long run.

If you are willing to hang your LP dry, then I would get:

* Mobile Fidelity Brush
    * Cartridge stylus brush
    * Carbon Fiber LP Dry brush.
    *Shure Stylus Force Gauge.
    *$0.99 spray bottle for LP cleaning solution.

I can go on and on about neccesary accessories, but I feel 5 items above is a Must Have starter set.

Here is a link for a free cartridge alignment tool.
    http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...852#post209852

Cleaning LP is very important, but the biggest questions I have is:

How is your stylus condition?

JRA

Forum Regular
    I have a little bit over 200 lps. Most of my collection is on CDs, but I just got this recent urge to give my LPs a spin again. I got rid of my turntable long time ago, but I kept my records. I just purchased a Technics SL-BD22 as a start.
    Thanks for the information and recomendations.

Regards,

I use a Knosti 'Disco antistat record cleaner' (do a search on google, you'll find it ), and I can't complain. easy, works well, not expensive...

and for dry cleaning I use a brush. I also have a bottle of Nagaoka stylus tip cleaner, and a seperate brush for the stylus...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    On a somewhat related note. Is there any way a warped record can be restored?
    I found some good LP's at the thrift yesterday but passed on them because they were so warped.

Forum Regular
    Basite,
    Thanks again for your help.

Tony

Mutant from table 9
    I use a much lower tech record cleaning method. I have distilled, not spring, but distilled water in an old contact lens solution bottle. No solvents, no soaps, no alcohol, no detergent. Just water. If plain old water made the Grand Canyon, then it can clean my records. The LP gets laid on an old, but clean and lint free, towel. Spray LP with plenty of water, but avoiding the lable, the contact lens bottle allows for better control than a spray bottle, imho. I use another wash cloth to scrub and check under a light for finger prints or tough spots. Flip and repeat. If that doesn't sound hi-end enough for you, keep in mind I use Ralph Lauren towels. Oooooo Fancy.

Whatever method you use, make sure it is one that you will actually take the time to do. No record cleaning machine or system is effective if you find it too cumbersome to use. That is a big part of the reason that I do what I do, it is quick and easy, but effective.

Also, don't forget stylus cleaner.

Look around at sites like: audioadvisor.com, needledoctor.com, and musicdirect.com

Finally, re: warped records. I remember reading an article along time ago about place warped records between two weighted cookie sheets in an oven to flatten them. But I don't know the temp or time at which one would attempt such a thing. I would guess that you would use lowest setting for the shortest period of time. Whatever is going to happen, it will happen fast. Like burning garlic bread under a broiler.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

I read a couple of things about putting them between 2 sheets of glass/plexiglass, and laying them in the sun for a while. I don't know how long, and I don't know the optimal temperature though, but it ought to work...

I also know Clearaudio sells a vinyl de-warp oven, or however they call it. Could be that it's still under developpement though..

and being from clearaudio, expect it to cost something like small car...

sometimes a clamp helps to flatten a record...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Quote Originally Posted by tony_abreu
    Basite,
    Thanks again for your help.

Tony

no thanks

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Forum Regular
    SlumBuster...I like you analogy of the water and the Grand Canyon....
    Thanks for the tips.

Regards,
    tony

I'll be brief - this is my method.

Old turntable - broken but still turns smoothly. Cleaned.

Place used or old vinyl with dirt on said turntable.

Use a clean good condition velvet brush. Turn record as you basically gather dust from the grooves. Fine dust will accumulate after firm strokes. Its shocking what you dont see thats in those grooves.

Use another velvet record brush wet with record cleaning solution or distilled water, damp and pick up the gathered dust.

Wet clean with another brush to fully remove more dirt from the grooves. Use record cleaning solution with distilled water.

Then place on a large microfiber cloth that you keep stored away from dust. Pat dry the record. Both sides,

Place record on another turnable with the 45 adapter inbetween the record and mat, let it air dry for a while. You can turn on the turntable and let it spin if you like.

Make sure record is dry.

Use Gruv Glide anti-static on yet an other specific use record brush of velvet or the supplied velvet pads.

On your good turntable turn the LP as you firmly rub the treated with Gruv Glide pad/brush on the cleaned record. Almost like polishing it.

Inspect and clean you stylus.

Play record. Repeat on other side.

I've basically restored a few valuable LPs this way. Time consuming so I only use it on critical or very collectible, cherished LPs.

I have other methods for cleaning and restoring LP covers too.

Good luck!

Forum Regular

DiscDoc.com Miracle record cleaner

Nobody here has mentioned DiscDoc.com miracle record cleaner............

Is this not a good way to clean records? I thought it was supposed to be the best way.............

Forum Regular
    I brought out my albums and started using them again. I still had my old zerostat3 antistatic gun and my discwasher brush but no fluid so i am using windex and it seems to work well. Does anyone reading this see a problem with the windex.
    Getmore1956

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by Modernaire
    I'll be brief - this is my method.

Old turntable - broken but still turns smoothly. Cleaned.

Place used or old vinyl with dirt on said turntable.

Use a clean good condition velvet brush. Turn record as you basically gather dust from the grooves. Fine dust will accumulate after firm strokes. Its shocking what you dont see thats in those grooves.

Use another velvet record brush wet with record cleaning solution or distilled water, damp and pick up the gathered dust.

Wet clean with another brush to fully remove more dirt from the grooves. Use record cleaning solution with distilled water.

Then place on a large microfiber cloth that you keep stored away from dust. Pat dry the record. Both sides,

Place record on another turnable with the 45 adapter inbetween the record and mat, let it air dry for a while. You can turn on the turntable and let it spin if you like.

Make sure record is dry.

Use Gruv Glide anti-static on yet an other specific use record brush of velvet or the supplied velvet pads.

On your good turntable turn the LP as you firmly rub the treated with Gruv Glide pad/brush on the cleaned record. Almost like polishing it.

Inspect and clean you stylus.

Play record. Repeat on other side.

I've basically restored a few valuable LPs this way. Time consuming so I only use it on critical or very collectible, cherished LPs.

I have other methods for cleaning and restoring LP covers too.

Good luck!

After reading all of this, I can only ask, "Is it any wonder the CD medium overtook LP's to the degree that it did?"

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by getmore1956
    I brought out my albums and started using them again. I still had my old zerostat3 antistatic gun and my discwasher brush but no fluid so i am using windex and it seems to work well. Does anyone reading this see a problem with the windex.
    Getmore1956
    I see a problem with Windex, and that is that I don't know what is in it. If you don't know what is in it, it shouldn't go on your records. At least if it does, it sould be thoroughly washed with distilled water.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Thread Information