Audio Enthusiast

How big is your Record Collection?

A Los Angeles man with a lifetime record collection of 400000 LPs

Story from the LA Times
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...0,905967.story

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Well I am sitting at about 450 so I better get busy if I am going to catch him.........

about roughly 50 to 110.

Not certain as ive never kept count. I need more jazz and blues though.
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Between me and my wife, about 5000 LP's.

He owns a record shop - that's cheating.

Forum Regular
    I'm in the 15,000 range with about 5,000 45 singles, 5,000 12" singles, and about 5,000 full albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Mouse
    I'm in the 15,000 range with about 5,000 45 singles, 5,000 12" singles, and about 5,000 full albums.
    Stunning.

I have fewer than 200 LPs. I used have another 100 or so but sold them at garage sales.

I have 700+ classical CDs, and between my wife and me, another 250 or so of other genres. I have never considered myself a collector and have only ever purchased specifically what I wanted to hear. By collector, I mean somebody who has to have every album a particular artist has ever publish or that sort of thing.

Forum Regular

fair

I have about 300 lp's at this time, used to have tons but sold most of it. Wish I had them all back now...

Dave

Lez see, I have 'bout 1000 LPs. Around 200 are 80s hair band crap that never get played, the rest are, you guessed it, blues, jazz, classic rock (my picks, not the radio gaga) and adult contemporary (ie; Van Morrison, JJ Cale, Tracy Chapman, Chris Rea etc).

I have a least double that amount in CDs and Ripped/DLs (lossless).

Back in my day, we had nine planets.

3db
    Forum Regular
    I'm sitting in around 250 of vinyl and another 100 CD covering every gammit with the exception of country (blue grass is not country ) hip-hop and rap.

nightflier
    I've lost track, perhaps 1000, mostly classical. But the real question we should be asking, is how does one store that much vinyl? It takes some seriously strong shelving to store even 500 records.

And yes, the 400,000 LP guy cheated.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

about 5-6K

i didnt dump when cd came out, i cashed in when everybody else did. if i culled all the useless ones, there might be 1000 less. my collection grows, as squeegy knows the availability of vinyl here in LA is voluminous.

even new vinyl is here and coming (the stanley clarke trio w/hiromi for $20 at towerrecords.com with free shipping over $25!). CDs and SACDs also are constantly being added and DVDAs when theres someting worth buying.

organizing them is another story.
    ...regards...tr

Aussieaudiofan
    I would have around 70 LP's and around 700 CD's.
    Slowly building my LP numbers, but want to upgrade to a better turntable, tonearm, cartridge and phono stage.
    Primare CD31 CD player
    Rotel RCD965BX CD player
    Arcam DV78 DVD player
    Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray DVD player
    NAD T753 Surround receiver
    Crampton M11 Integrated amplifier (handbuilt Aussie amp)
    Vimak AT-600 Integrated amplifier
    Emotiva XPA-2 Amp
    Micro Seiki DD-1 turntable
    Sansui T-60 tuner
    Elac FS208A speakers (love the jet tweeter)
    Definitive Technology CLR 2000 speaker
    Mission M72i speakers
    Orpheus Nexus 2 speakers
    TMC White Label interconnects

Probably just about reaching 1,000 vinyl at the moment, but around 400 of them are boxed up...potentially for sale or donation.

Like hifitommy I didn't dump when CD's were introduced. I bought lots of vinyl from people switching to CD. 3523 LP's 1163 CD's as of today. I have them all in a database I wrote so I know the exact numbers.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Wow I feel like a piker...@ 1,500 and still buying!!

nightflier
    I'm just curious how one stores 3000+ LPs. The one love/hate change with CDs for me was the smaller size (and the hate part: folded up liner notes and artwork), but they sure store easier. About 1/3 of mine are in sleeves now, too, because I was tired of purchasing empty cases after the original had cracked. Even a lot of collections are sold that way now (my Beethoven and Bach box sets would take a couple of suitcases otherwise), but I do worry about scratching them that way.

With my LPs, I've dutifully purchased inner sleeves to protect the vinyl, though not outer sleeves, and I probably should. Of course, the sleeves increase bulk too, thus exacerbating the storage problem. My father actually built narrow solid oak bookcases with 1" shelves, but even these are sagging. My brother went one better and built steel shelves (he's a welder so he has the equipment), but those aren't the most attractive looking things unless you're going for a Scandinavian type of minimalist / angular thing (my house is more wood and french country style, so no on that).

I only have a small collection of LPs, but they are definitely what I grab first when I want to listen to some good music or when people come to listen. They are currently on the bottom shelf of my wall unit which is supported from sag by the floor. This is hardly ideal because I have to get on all fours to find what I'm looking for. I'm not that old, but it's not exactly elegant to stick your rear in the air that way when guests are over.

Anyhow, just wondering what others are using (pictures?).

Anyone with 3000+ records...Did you ever see "High Fidelity" with John Cusack? He played a record store owner, but his apartment was filled with records and his collection ran along the bottom wall like baseboards would (if I remember correctly). Whenever I read of someone having a 3000+ vinyl collection (most of you guys), I think this movie.

Anyways, I envy you guys. I'm old enough to have had a record collection, but my love for music didn't start early enough. By the time my interest peaked, I went with cassettes .

My dad had one of those record players that would drop the vinyl onto the platter and start playing. It also had a cassette player also.

My mother remarried and her husband had a nice Pioneer with the linear tracking arm. I was in my early teens, but I remember listening to Who's Next on vinyl on his machine and was blown away at how good it sounded.

Me? No records, no turntable and 800+ CDs.
    Last edited by frahengeo; 08-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

I bought my first LP more than 40 years ago. I still have it and the others I've purchased along the way. One wall in my room is LP's in custom shelving I built.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information